Why Do Expats Wear Shorts In Thailand

Semper

Personally, I never wear shorts outside of my home or the gym, but that is personal preference. I have absolutely no problem with anyone else wearing shorts.

On the other hand, I almost exclusively wear sandals.

As I wrote, personal preference, so who cares?

Yes, at home I wear a sarong.

The sandal thing , I'm not sure if I understand it, maybe a local joke :blink:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking about the 2-4 weeks tourists, but about long time expats who are wearing shorts an short sleeve shirts.

Why do they do this?

I understand that walking around in the nude is frowned upon.

If most of the expats are like myself forced by custom to wear a suit all my working life with the most ridiculous western garment a tie, the freedom of shorts and sandals in a hot climate is the way I choose to spend my greying yearsbiggrin.gif

Personally, I never wear shorts outside of my home or the gym, but that is personal preference. I have absolutely no problem with anyone else wearing shorts.

On the other hand, I almost exclusively wear sandals.

As I wrote, personal preference, so who cares?

Totally agree.

when you come from a radically different climate, why not dress in the manner that makes you feel comfortable? I have seen Thais pass out in hot weather dressed in long pants and long sleeves. Please exercise your right to dress as you feel comfortable.

I'm not talking about the 2-4 weeks tourists, but about long time expats who are wearing shorts an short sleeve shirts.

Why do they do this? :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have seen alot of things asked on Thai Visa, but this is the stupidest question I have ever seen.

FD :)

I agree with you, I definitely think this one is in the top ten of dumbest question

Another case where the old Abraham Lincoln quote comes too mind

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

:rolleyes:

Only a few weeks ago my students were discussing cultural differences between Westerners and Thais.

One of the comments they came up with was that Westerners went against Thai culture by "wearing flip flops and shorts in public" and that Thais would never do this.

I disagree completely as I daily see Thai (males, females and third gender) wearing shorts, flip flops and pyjamas on the streets.

It's just a matter of convenience, comfort and I guess for many it's a question of economy.

Personally I don't like to wear shorts in shopping centres or when going out although I admit I do it sometimes.

I always wear jeans when out as I am far more comfortable in them. Very seldom leave condo in shorts. Usually always wear shoes as well for same reason as pants. I find I feel hotter in shorts.

Another reason, my GF is always dressed nice due to her work, I would feel like a bum if I walked around with her in shorts and flip flops. Just a respect thing. She likes it too.

I have heard that sometimes the long pants help divert the mosquitos...but I am still wearing shorts. Actually some of my shorts are so long that I am not sure if they are shorts that are too long or are they pants that are too short. Maybe you could make that a topic...

Hi,

I have seen alot of things asked on Thai Visa, but this is the stupidest question I have ever seen.

Oh, I think I've seen worse, but a more serious question would be, why would anyone wear Speedos anywhere, ever.

Other than for work or a date, why would you want to wear pants?

Downrange everyone wears shorts.

Well, pants protects your legs from the sun and heat. Why do people use the dark plastic thing on their car windows :rolleyes:

You must be Thai, I don't know of any farangs being bothered by the sun, also I don't see how a farang would be bothered by others wearing shorts...

Like someone else said: <deleted> not?

Should I be impressed? :unsure: BTW, this topic is Thailand related. So nobody couldn't care less what you wear in Australia :whistling:

I could not care less if your impressed or not, you asked a question I answered it.

LOL....... I was told by my neighbor when we moved into our house in Cairns ."...a true Queenslander don't wear underwear under his shorts...bit worried where he was going with that one...!

Way back in time in South Africa people used to wear "safari" suits...long shorts and a shirt thingy long socks plus shoes for "office" and "management" wear..rest of us wore those horrible constrictive tight shorts that are still worn by many in OZ.

I am still trying to perfect the sarong "tie" such that it don't drop around me ankles every few minutes frightening the dogs and children....

...wear long pants and wellies about the farm..protects against .f..g ants, barbed grass seed,grass cuts and hopefully snakes...

wish I still had my "Blundstones"....

Maybe the OP should ask why so many farangs wear socks ( BLACK!!)with thongs or velcro sandals..and those bloody awful nylon tropic printed shirts...just need a corner tied hanky on their head to complete the picture...lol........socks with thongs only look good on a Geisha methinks..

.overall the OPs question is rather "dugh!"?

Hi,

Oh, I think I've seen worse, but a more serious question would be, why would anyone wear Speedos anywhere, ever.

2nd'd.....unless your a competitive swimmer or a lifeguard

Hi,

On a recent short break to koh Chang, i saw an abundance of speedo's on the beach being worn by a large group of noisy European men,gathered at the beach bar, together with European women wearing thongs with lots sticking out, I moved further along the beach, I wonder which country they were from :whistling:

When I saw the question, I thought, does TVF have its very own Mr. Percival Tebbs, senior assistant of Gentlemen's Ready-Made?

Surely he can appreciate that not all men are cursed with knobby knees or varicose veins?

And then I realized, someone may have been channeling Mrs. Slocum

Mollie_Sugden_as_Mrs_Slocombe.jpg?format=jpg

I do not see what anyone's wearng of shorts is the OP's affair, and I am unanimous in that position. :whistling:

Haven't you guys worked it out yet?

The OP is a troll - a 'mild troll' maybe but definitely a troll.

Just look at his posts in this thread, he's winding you all up, but not going too far over top so that he isn't sussed.....

Of course it is a ridiculous question and he knows it.

...If most of the expats are like myself forced by custom to wear a suit all my working life with the most ridiculous western garment a tie,

How the heck has the tie lasted so long in Western culture? I have to agree, it is pretty ridiculous, yet it has lasted longer than about any other male fashion article in the Western world.

Well, pants protects your legs from the sun and heat. Why do people use the dark plastic thing on their car windows :rolleyes:

You must be Thai, I don't know of any farangs being bothered by the sun, also I don't see how a farang would be bothered by others wearing shorts...

As a kid, I ran around barefoot, shirtless, and with only a pair of shorts. However, when I became a Marine, we learned to always keep covered up, and this was driven into our heads. Part of this was to keep up the camouflage, part to protect against plants and bugs, and part to protect against the sun. You could even be the recipient of punitive action should you get sunburned to the extent that you could not perform your duties (I never actually saw anyone get punished, but we all knew it was possible.)

I am pretty sure that coupled with the knowledge of damage excess sun can give a person, this is probably why I cover up and wear long pants and wear a shirt when I am out. Heck, even at the beach in Thailand, Hawaii or California, I wear a shirt unless I am getting ready to go into the water.

Hi,

On a recent short break to koh Chang, i saw an abundance of speedo's on the beach being worn by a large group of noisy European men,gathered at the beach bar, together with European women wearing thongs with lots sticking out, I moved further along the beach, I wonder which country they were from :whistling:

These the guys? I ran too!

post-116788-0-30996400-1300161790_thumb.

...If most of the expats are like myself forced by custom to wear a suit all my working life with the most ridiculous western garment a tie,

How the heck has the tie lasted so long in Western culture? I have to agree, it is pretty ridiculous, yet it has lasted longer than about any other male fashion article in the Western world.

Ha- the tie. Actually I didn't mind wearing them at all in England, but it's quite a different in 30-odd degree heat. That closed collar makes and enormous difference to how hot one feels. bah.gif

(splelung)

Edited by Slip

As a kid, I ran around barefoot, shirtless, and with only a pair of shorts. However, when I became a Marine, we learned to always keep covered up, and this was driven into our heads. Part of this was to keep up the camouflage, part to protect against plants and bugs, and part to protect against the sun. You could even be the recipient of punitive action should you get sunburned to the extent that you could not perform your duties (I never actually saw anyone get punished, but we all knew it was possible.)

I am pretty sure that coupled with the knowledge of damage excess sun can give a person, this is probably why I cover up and wear long pants and wear a shirt when I am out. Heck, even at the beach in Thailand, Hawaii or California, I wear a shirt unless I am getting ready to go into the water.

;)

Ties are not generally worn in the engineering offices I frequent in Bangkok; you will find that the most prolific tie wearers are the farang teachers……………just another reason not to teach in Thailand :rolleyes:

No idea do people change after time ?

Lived in the Algarve. Portugal for years, always wore shorts, except for the 2 months of winter when I would wear track suit/ long trousers to go out, also always wore socks and sandals.

When I moved here for the 1st year always wore shorts, but never socks, always wear sandals, only time i ever wear socks and shoes is going to places like Immigration.

All day at home wear shorts but for the past 7 years always wear long trousers when leaving the house, until 2002 and coming here had never owned or worn a T-shirt in my life, now always wear a T-shirt when going out, cannot remember the last time I wore a shirt, maybe 5 years ago, same with going out shorts.

;)

The answer to your question is obvious but to go further into it, is down to the individual in the way you are taught as ' bonobo ' example explained in part.

If you gave your shallow observations more time you would see that ( Expats you refer to) wear all sorts of different clothing.

It is also a something to do with correct acceptable dress in the present situation you find yourself in, whether at work or in play.

I please myself in the way that I dress and what is acceptable to me at the time.

For example I wouldn't go to your funeral wearing a ' T ' shirt and shorts out of respect of the situation but maybe some here would.B)

As for the dark plastic thing take that to the " motor forum ".