What Do You Feel Are The Differences Between Farangs And Thais?

Deeral

So how do you feel about Thai people?Looking at a lot of posts here e.g. especially about politics anddriving, there seems tpo be a consensus that those who post onThaivisa can do things better than Thai people.

Do you consider yourself moreintelligent than most Thai people ?

Are “Westerners” “better” thanThais.

What are the things Westerners arebetter at? Why?

I see a lot of complaining about Thaipeople's behaviour and practices on this site but How do you actuallyfeel about the thai people?

Are they less “intelligent”?

Are they intrinsically worse driversthan Westerners.

Are they innately less capable of doingbasic tasks....business

Do you think that you are geneticallybetter equipped for life than Thai people?

Do you think you are smarter orcleverer than they are?

Why is your country so much richer thanThailand?

Is your nationality inherently betterat organising a democracy

What is it that makes the posters onhere so condescending to Thai people?

Do they know so much more than Thaipeople do about their own country, the planet or life in general?

Are there limits to what Thai peoplecan achieve?

How do they compare to your abilities?Why?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. A lot of questions. Lost track.

I feel I personally no better, no worse than Thais or anybody for that matter.

Thais excel at living in Thailand. That's why I'm sometimes labeled an apologist. I defer to the locals in local matters.

Unfortunately. On TV your either ethnocentric or ploycentric. Not much middle ground.

Thai driving? Same as Sourthern Europe or Mexico. A lot better than Africa or the Middle East. Not as good as N. America or N. Europe. That whole abide by the law thing.

This should be an interesting topic up till the point were you start talking down at everyone and making word sausage out of every response.

To be perfectly frank and upfront, except for the very few that are close to me, it would not bother me if I never saw another farang again.

I would much prefer to live a among the Thais. They are a most polite, inviting people and providing we respect them, in most cases they will respect us.

Many of the farangs in Thailand are the complete opposite and with some having such low opinions of the Thais; I often wonder why these farangs are here at all?

My question is: if you are a farang and consider yourself far superior to the Thais, dislike the Thais and Thailand for whatever reasons, why are you here?

'Richb2004v2' timestamp='1300274701' post='4286884']

It's a little like comparing a 1980's Skoda to a current BMW. There will be some folk that for personal reasons prefer the Skoda, which is fair enough, but to argue it is better then the BMW is surely delusional.

From my own personal experience , you have defined the differences in an excellent manner , educational advantages alone should point one in a reasonable direction of the thought process .

Well, I like wearing shorts because its hot in Thailand. And I got great legs!

Huh? Wrong thread?

Okay ...

Not really, maybe on some topics they're not familiar with, but they know more than I about things Thai.

Some think so ...

Depends on what your idea of intelligent is.

Bad drivers all over the world, don't need a particular nationality

No

Your kidding right?

No

because it is

Which nationality is?

Some posters feel the fact that they have more money than Thais also mean they have more of everything else ...

Do you consider yourself more intelligent than most Thai people ?

I have a degree and postgraduate qualification from very good universities. I'm also off the IQ scale (if you believe in IQ testing).

I consider myself more intelligent than most everyone!

No need to be racist about it thought.

Do you think that you are genetically better equipped for life than Thai people?

To survive in a civilised world, I would again claim supremacy (over everyone).

But when/if the end of the world strikes, I'm pretty sure that most Thais will have a better chance of surviving than most westerners (including me)

Edited by pjclark1

Most Thai men (even if they have the money) don't pack up and go to Australia, Britain or America when they get old.

1. Those countries make it difficult to obtain a visa even for decent people.

2. The Thais that are super wealthy do visit other countries and often have 2nd or 3rd homes in the EU or USA. At the very least, they send their children there for an education.

One of the major differences between Thais and farangs is height. I do however wish to make a complaint about some Thais. It is not fair that one of my friends is Dutch sized. I find it unacceptable that he towers over me. He compounds the matter by calling me little fat man Also, I object to the fact that Thai males can get away wearing feminine type clothing and project an aura of sexiness. How is it if my friend wears tight pants and a pink shirt and gold jewellery, girls swarm over him.?If I tried that, people would be looking at me like I was some sort of creepy perv. I also object to the fact that Thais wear pajamas and a bathrobe to bed. Too cold, too cold. Hello?? The AC is at 25 and its too cold?

One last difference that p*sses me off. My friends don't waste money on the <deleted> expensive razors like I do. They get away shaving every 3rd or 4th day.

I think if more people had a mai pen rai attitude towards life, there'd be a lot less neurotic people running around. They wouldn't be building nuclear power plants where earthquakes are almost an everyday occurence. Community and family would be much more important. Of course in the larger cities, there's not much difference., but the stock manipulations and banking malpractices wouldn't have such a world-wide disasterous effect. Poorer countries may be less educated than richer countries, but that's not necessaily "falling short." I fail to see where the more educated nations have done anything to make the world a better place. The greed and sociopathetic behavior are more pronounced in those countries that feel Thailand is a third world country. It's a shame that the internet has exposed certain countries to things that they "think" they want. What exactly are they falling short of?

I think if more people had a mai pen rai attitude towards life, there'd be a lot less neurotic people running around. They wouldn't be building nuclear power plants where earthquakes are almost an everyday occurence. Community and family would be much more important. Of course in the larger cities, there's not much difference., but the stock manipulations and banking malpractices wouldn't have such a world-wide disasterous effect. Poorer countries may be less educated than richer countries, but that's not necessaily "falling short." I fail to see where the more educated nations have done anything to make the world a better place. The greed and sociopathetic behavior are more pronounced in those countries that feel Thailand is a third world country. It's a shame that the internet has exposed certain countries to things that they "think" they want. What exactly are they falling short of?

You can't be serious??? I will just through a few world changing vaccines out there... Polio, Measles, Small Pox.... If the entire world subscribed to the, "lets lay around all day and get drunk" "mai pen rai" attitude you think the world would really be better off?

Thailand is well positioned geographically for this century, being in between China and India (and having large native Chinese and Indian ethnic communities here), in a new era of Eastern dominance. They would have to work really hard to not rise just based on coattails. Anyone taking bets?

Edited by Jingthing

I think if more people had a mai pen rai attitude towards life, there'd be a lot less neurotic people running around. They wouldn't be building nuclear power plants where earthquakes are almost an everyday occurence.

Erm, come again. :blink:

It's a little like comparing a 1980's Skoda to a current BMW. There will be some folk that for personal reasons prefer the Skoda, which is fair enough, but to argue it is better then the BMW is surely delusional.

Nicely put summation and analogy..

Most Thai men (even if they have the money) don't pack up and go to Australia, Britain or America when they get old.

Tell that to my boys former pediatrician who lived in the states for the previous 18 years and then came back here for 1 year and headed up the pediatrics department at Phuket International just to pack it in and head back to the states 3 years ago <_< ..

Thailand is well positioned geographically for this century, being in between China and India (and having large native Chinese and Indian ethnic communities here), in a new era of Eastern dominance. They would have to work really hard to not rise just based on coattails. Anyone taking bets?

Wouldn't touch it. In 30-50 yrs. rice will be worth more than gold or oil.

Someday Thais may very well travel to the USA for cheap sex partners.

The future is crazy.

'mstribling' timestamp='1300276249' post='4286927']

It is better at being a skoda than a BMW is.

If you are referring to the general upkeep , you are probably correct , but as far as quality goes I think your preference has been aimed rather low or your sense of values are rather restrictive , but then again , it could point to the standard.of living you have become accustomed to or are forced to live at .

I'm just saying that Ive had a BMW. You can wax all day long about the craftsmanship and quality. All that BS is just an excuse to pay way to much money for something to drive to work.

And your right I've scaled way back, by choice. I had lost my hardiness, the essence of manliness, and now I'm back in the game.

I've stopped living to buy shit I don't need.

Nothing more pathetic than a man who is soft.

But...

Rich does make an excellent analogy.

Thais are much more adept at sensing paranormal activity than we are. My wife's is constantly afraid of "Pee" when I don't have the ability to detect this.

She can also squat for a really long time and eat her body weight in bugs.

Edited by mstribling