Medical Requirement

With the retirement visa application it states that you need a medical examanation what sort of exam is required in Thailand?

My Thai girlfriend who is a nurse says she thinks it must be taken in a specific Thai hospital . I think I have seen over the years people talking about any Dr can open your mouth and look in and say breath and give him the money and walk out with the form signed by him.

What has been the members experiences with going for there medicals in Thailand for there retirement visa applications? :o

It is a basic one page letter from a doctor that you do not have a handful of problems like drug use, alcoholism, etc.

Costs about 250 baht or so at a good hospital so really no need to go to the local quack (which some officers have turned back by reports). Any hospital should be able to provide and be accepted.

Not necessary to be a specific hospital. Clinics could be 50-50 accepted. I go to a government hospital and only costs me 40 baht. The odd thing, the last time I got my 1-year extension and work permit, nobody wanted to see the medical.

Generally the conversation with the Doctor goes:

Doc. You sick?

Me. No

Doc. OK, go pay.

:o

The form is "bpy lahp lohng paht" if the hospital doesn't know what you are talking about when explaining it in English.

I went to one of these basic "Doc in a Box" places that you see along the street...

The nurse filled out a form...walked it back to the doctor's office and came back with it signed...40 baht and never saw the doctor.. Oh yes, this is the same doctor I used for the medical report for my Thai driver's license..

Stoneman

In Pattaya I have used two different clinics and one Thai Doctor's practice.

The Thai Doctor took my blood pressure and went through the published list of ailments asking me if I had any of them: 250 Baht

In the first clinic the Doctor there also took my blood pressure but then listened to my heart and lungs before probing around my abdomen: 200 Baht.

In the other clinic it was simply a question of writing down my name and age: 100 Baht.

Had to look it up but according to the "Immigration Act B.E. 2522" para as quoted below it has always been required since at least that date.

Section 44: No alien is authorized to take up residence in the Kingdom, if it appears that said alien:

1.  Has been punished with imprisonment by judgment or legal order of a Thai or foreign country court, except a minor offense committed by negligence, or an offense exempted as prescribed by the Ministerial Regulations.

2. Is unable to earn his living because of mental defect or physical infirmity or having any diseases as prescribed by Ministerial Regulations.

The provision of (2) shall not apply to an alien father, mother, husband, wife or child of the one having domicile within the Kingdom and is able to support each other.