English On English Subtitles

Beanster1

Here's the thing, bored nothing to do tonight, so sit down and turn on the t.v.

I started watching something called "Ripley's believe it or not" Ironic I thought!

Anyway there's this story on how an Aussie swim coach is helping his swimmers go faster by chucking a crocodile in the pool with them.

So anytime any of the Aussies say anything there's these big subtitles in English that pop up on the screen. :D

Bear in mind this is an American show!!

Did anyone else see this?

What's that all about? :o

Beanster1

Edited by Beanster1

Here's the thing, bored nothing to do tonight, so sit down and turn on the t.v.

I started watching something called "Ripley's believe it or not"  Ironic I thought!

Anyway there's this story on how an Aussie swim coach is helping his swimmers go faster by chucking a crocodile in the pool with them.

So anytime any of the Aussies say anything there's these big subtitles in English that pop up on the screen. :D

Bear in mind this is an American show!!

Did anyone else see this?

What's that all about? :o

Beanster1

Happens all the time on US TV when an English speaker has a strong regional accent.

Do you suppose it could have been for hearing impaired? Or was it only for the Aussie speakers? I know the DVD's here have english subtitles (even tho alot of them are incredibly wrong!) and that is for the hearing impaired.

What accent? Aussies dont have accents

Well at least not that I have heard

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I was there last month in Brisabane, and in the bookies or tab as they call it, there were two country guys who I honestly hadn't a clue what they were on about. They probably couldn't understand a word of what I said either.
Well only help on trainspotting was for Spuds, and I believe most of the characters on there complained they couldnt understand him either.

I saw Spud in a movie recently speaking Thai - bloody funny. 80 days I think it was.

What accent? Aussies dont have accents

Well at least not that I have heard

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I was there last month in Brisabane, and in the bookies or tab as they call it, there were two country guys who I honestly hadn't a clue what they were on about. They probably couldn't understand a word of what I said either.

Well Brisband/queensland is a different kettle of fish.

They are a bit slow up there

:o:D