Retirement Visa Versus Marriage Visa

A key distinction apart from the B400k is that you can get a work permit on a marriage extension which is not possible on a retirement extension. This might be handy for anyone who wants to take up a job that might not last long. If the job comes to end, no change to your visa. Against this you have to weigh up what happens if your marriage comes to an end or your wife predeceases you as well as the additional hassle of scrutiny of your marriage and the wife having to go with you every year to renew.

If you have no intention of working and the 800k is not a problem, getting a retirement extension in your own right is clearly a better option.

Edited by Arkady

Non-Imm O retirement is hassle-free because it only depends on you. Work permit is not an option.

Non-Imm O “Thai Wife” stamped in passport means you can get a work permit if you need one. BUT for annual renewals, your wife will need to come with you to Immigration, pics of the two of you together showing family relationship, pics of your dwelling, wife’s house reg book with same address you provide and, of course, original or certified marriage certificate with official Thai translation from MFA.

Not too big a hassle, just didn’t want to tie up—or spend—the 800K.

Remember to get a mulitple Re-Entry Permit while you’re there if you plan on any travel.

• 1 month later...

A key distinction apart from the B400k is that you can get a work permit on a marriage extension which is not possible on a retirement extension. This might be handy for anyone who wants to take up a job that might not last long. If the job comes to end, no change to your visa. Against this you have to weigh up what happens if your marriage comes to an end or your wife predeceases you as well as the additional hassle of scrutiny of your marriage and the wife having to go with you every year to renew.

If you have no intention of working and the 800k is not a problem, getting a retirement extension in your own right is clearly a better option.

Hi

Interesting stuff

I am about to marry a Thai national - I am American, 68 years old.... If I apply for an extension of stay marriage visa, could I then

apply for a work permit.?. .. Can this process be repeated each year?

I would supply 400k in my bank each year.

As I understand it the paperwork would be lighe and privacy issues maintained.

Thanks

Walt