THAI Says Its Tickets From Japan Not Overpriced

webfact

Friends I know called TG for tickets and were told 90,000bht! ONE WAY? :angry: yes 90,000bht. <deleted>?

The girl asked "for 3 people"?

TG said no per person! :(

They called back to complain to a manager who told them he would do a special price 30,000 each.

Very generous of him but I do not know if they took up the offer as yet. :blink:

Thais in Japan wanting to get home are getting ripped off slightly.

Overpriced #$*& yes

Edited by LindsayBKK

Why call TG for tickets? No-one does that, get them via a travel-agent. The price directly against the airlines is always higher.

Yes I know, I guess they thought being special circumstances that TG would be handling special flights etc. btw there are some Thais that still only fly TG cause their English is limited(which I can never quite understand) etc...

Edited by LindsayBKK

y

A one way ticket Tokyo to Bkk for tomorrow on Thais web site is 46,950 baht.:cheesy:

Just one word for it "CRIMINAL" one thing forsure, these a/holes will never miss the opportunity to scam. If I show my Thai driving licence can I get it for Thai price? I have only flown Thai once, that was in an 747 scrap heap. Never again.

jb1

I would agree with the statement about flying the once, long-haul return with Thai airways, sorry… I Will not fly again until they up-date there fleet and get real with their pricing. I just don’t understand what there playing at! As for it being criminal, not really, there are just chancing there arm, just like so many operations, large and small in Thailand. I think it’s a Thai thing…..’Up to you’

Why call TG for tickets? No-one does that, get them via a travel-agent. The price directly against the airlines is always higher.

What 6 x higher, This sums up Thai Int, All that I said before was falling on those in denial, so good keep flying Thai.

y

A one way ticket Tokyo to Bkk for tomorrow on Thais web site is 46,950 baht.:cheesy:

Just one word for it "CRIMINAL" one thing forsure, these a/holes will never miss the opportunity to scam. If I show my Thai driving licence can I get it for Thai price? I have only flown Thai once, that was in an 747 scrap heap. Never again.

jb1

I would agree with the statement about flying the once, long-haul return with Thai airways, sorry… I Will not fly again until they up-date there fleet and get real with their pricing. I just don’t understand what there playing at! As for it being criminal, not really, there are just chancing there arm, just like so many operations, large and small in Thailand. I think it’s a Thai thing…..’Up to you’

Not knowing what the situation is like in Japan, for getting flights out. But if Thai air have inflated their prices, because people have none or very little option. I am sorry I call it ok, morally criminal.

jb1

Friends I know called TG for tickets and were told 90,000bht! ONE WAY? :angry: yes 90,000bht. <deleted>?

The girl asked "for 3 people"?

TG said no per person! :(

They called back to complain to a manager who told them he would do a special price 30,000 each.

Very generous of him but I do not know if they took up the offer as yet. :blink:

Thais in Japan wanting to get home are getting ripped off slightly.

Overpriced #$*& yes

Is it possible that the only seats available were first class?

Why is the age of the aircraft important? Either they receive proper maintenance and are just as safe as newer aircraft, or they don't and shouldn't be flying at all.

If it isn't a safety issue, then it is it a comfort issue? Does THAI have (especially) uncomfortable seats and bad food? Are their pilots inept? If that's the case then it doesn't mean the ticket should be cheaper, it means the inept pilots should be grounded, right?

My understanding of aviation is that something is either good enough or it doesn't fly. That's why no-one is selling tickets for standing room on a converted bomber with no air hostesses flown by a tuk-tuk driver for B190 round trip to Sisaket - because they can't.

Your absolutely correct, and from my own experience with owning aircraft, if the operater is complying with all manditory AD's (airworthy directives) issued and maintenance recomendations, an aircraft will continue flying safely througtout its life cycle. Take the recent near crash of the NEW super jumbos if you want to compare safety of new with old. Older aircraft are updated with new interiors, reengined, and new navigational equipment, and repainted. Its nearly impossible for a lay to know they are flying on an older model. Once an older model reaches the limits of its design, they are retired and scraped, or used for cargo ships. There are still plenty of L-1011's flying as cargo ships around the world. Thai will eventually be forced to retire its older aircraft and replace with newer and more efficient aircraft, but for now, I can imagine they are reluctant to commit to the financial costs in their present financial condition and market chalenges in an industry that has been loosing money.

You are abolutely not correct in many parts of your answer, 1=Isolated incidents( new Jumbo's) forget that. 2= if they are updated why not Thai with video in seat back. 3= the pilot flying a cargo is flying a death trap-but it's o.k. as there are no passengers. 4= it's nearly impossible for a lay to know if it's a new or old, HaHa. 5= Thais present financial position is bad bookeeping, NO new aircraft bought for how long ? (apart from the ones on lease) and the prices they charge for equiv-modern fleet. I they havent spent money on new, then where the hell has their money gone, like most things here--down the bottomless pit. From years ago, Thai compete with Cathay, singapore, malaysian, now Emirates, Etihad, the Kingfishers,Jet, all with new craft, the profit from Thai is where ????? not on new--capacity they say is good. WHERE IS THE MONEY operating costs are higher because of more maintainence, but the rest of the dosh, ask the boss he should know ???

I fly Thai Airways usually 4 times a year between Japan / BKK and at least in the last 3 years I have never not had video in the seat backs. I've also not found anything out of date on the planes as compared to similar priced carriers. However, Thai Airways is aware that their fleet is aging and has been making substantial investments in new planes and believe they are going to be seeing the start of delivery this year of 37 new planes they plan to bring on in the next 5 or 6 years as part of the 75 they will add/replace in the next 10-years.

I certainly am not a cheerleader for the airline and mainly fly them because they are part of the Star Alliance & OneWorld but have never had any issue with them from comfort to service to being on time.

Thai Airways is actually doing very well financially and is often ranked as one of the top 10 airlines in the world. Personally, I don't see anything great about them but also don't see anything negative either in terms of them compared to other typical carriers.

As for the original OP containing claims they are overcharging ... clearly this is not true factually and can be easily confirmed online ... that is unless you want to pretend Yen is the same things as Baht.

Edited by Nisa

I fly Thai Airways usually 4 times a year between Japan / BKK and at least in the last 3 years I have never not had video in the seat backs. I've also not found anything out of date on the planes as compared to similar priced carriers. However, Thai Airways is aware that their fleet is aging and has been making substantial investments in new planes and believe they are going to be seeing the start of delivery this year of 37 new planes they plan to bring on in the next 5 or 6 years as part of the 75 they will add/replace in the next 10-years.

I certainly am not a cheerleader for the airline and mainly fly them because they are part of the Star Alliance & OneWorld but have never had any issue with them from comfort to service to being on time.

Thai Airways is actually doing very well financially and is often ranked as one of the top 10 airlines in the world. Personally, I don't see anything great about them but also don't see anything negative either in terms of them compared to other typical carriers.

As for the original OP containing claims they are overcharging ... clearly this is not true factually and can be easily confirmed online ... that is unless you want to pretend Yen is the same things as Baht.

Check on that route nisa-Bkk-Tokyo, I would near as dammit say that your aircraft are newish leased ones from an India company, and I think they fly B 777e.r. with personal video, so you wouldn,t get the 20+ yearold Jumbo 747.400s a few posters above have confirmed the inflated prices. Thai invested on new aircraft after years and years too late, but hopefully they will have the new aircraft coming-but not forget this is over a period of 10 years. I think your top ten -is now down dated. Refreshing to know that you do speak as well about some downsides here. I always say ya pays for what ya gets..or should, Thai have been stretching it a bit at times.But with no new planes bought over a vast amount of years, minimum outlay, they should be financially well off. Do compare the new wide bodied airlines of middle east and india when price comparing--not the Cathay and Singapore of this world-they are in a different class. I was a very big customer years ago and swore by them, and will fly again when they get up to scratch--otherwise Singapore Etihad-Emirates--to U.K.

Edited by ginjag

Air Asia quotes very low faires, but have anyone tried to book those low fares??? I have tried, and there were only a few seats offered at those low fares. I personally think its false advertising baiting by Air Asia. The president of Thai Airways should have taken this crisis oportunity to give specially low fares as a good advertising compaign aimed at showing compasion towards other Thai citizens, but instead took the low road and consequential criticism.

Air Asia is only good if you have no luggage and light carry-on. They nickel and dime you for everything and if you get caught with more than their small weight allotted for a single carry-on (only 1 carry-on bag as opposed to most others who see a laptop or purse as exempt) you pay a HUGE penalty.

But what bothered me with them was the first time I went somewhere with my wife using Air Asia. I booked online and didn't pay extra to choose seats because I really didn't care where we sat. But it turns out that they assign seats in random order. So, even if you buy two tickets together they will not be seated together unless randomly it happens. Worse, they announced at the start of the flight that nobody can change seats (though we did). Both my wife and I had an empty seat next to us.

Good answer--YES you do have to be careful in what you carry, on the Udon BKK flight, booking on an advanced promotion--177 bht +airport pass charge. seat was not given on booking but electronically check in seat numbers given---another trick is if they are different--go to check in counter and explain--I was given 2 together. My 2 friends male and female arriving by Kingfisher (saving 25,000 bht)Lhr-BKK ret--rather than Thai===========got a return Bkk-Udon for 700 bht each..................I must say you have to book 6 months in advance at least when the big promo's crop up..................I can look now and find some stupid small fares--if I do I book them. because you can afford NOT to travel if you don't want. but will get to Bkk at half the bus price--which is 450 bht one way

I disagree with the claims that AirAsia 'trick people'. It's a budget airline and they make that very plain in their advertising. Plus their 'add-ons' are not expensive. 60Baht for a coffee with donut.

Many times I have bought their quite delicious sandwich (similar to Subway style) on the route from Bkk to HCMC Vietnam, from memory 80 Baht, certainly not a rip-off.

If you don't want to accept their terms and conditions, well publicised, very clear, then use a full price airline. To claim that AirAsia trick people is unfair.

If you record your e.mail address on their site you get 1 day advance notice of their promotions, and they make it clear that there are limited seats. I have one farang friend who get's the advance notice and he goes immediately to their site and books about 6 seats for every promotion, never any hassle, he sees it as a game to occupy his time, and he reaps the rewards of numerous cheap flights for his family.

My family has used AirAsia probably 50 times (when son was in school in Singapore he flew backwards and forwards many times), never ever a problem.

Edited by scorecard