Paying Cheque Into Friends Thai Bank Acct.

A friend in the states who comes to Thailand twice a year and has own bank accts. asked me to pay a cheque into her Kasikorn bank acct.

Sure no problem I said - just to be safe rang bank and asked. Sure no problem they said - make sure she signs on back of cheque and tells you her acct. no.

I explained it was a cheque made out to her from the Bank of America acct of one of her clients. Amount of cheque is approx. 300,000Bt

The reason she wanted to send it here was she has some direct debits off this acct and wanted to make sure there was enough as she had to cancel her last trip here.

So with info. from the bank confirmed she DHLed the cheque - signed on back.

Off I went to the bank (one which she is a regular client). Sorry they said can't pay it in, you need her pass book. Duhhh they could have told me that before and she would have DHLed it with the cheque.

So question is do I need her passbook to pay in cheque or is it worth going round other branches until I find one to pay it in?????

Anyone know the answer? :o

I would suggest you send check back and have her wire transfer funds into the Thai account. I am surprised the bank would even agree to accept a foreign check from someone other than the payee and having it signed in front of them. To also ask them to do this without a bank book I do not believe is going to fly.

But then I have not used check of any kind in years so my information may be as dated as I am. :o

I can't advise specifically.

Different branches have different interpretations of the rules. Make sure you go to a larger branch.

You don't need a passbook to pay in cash, but a foreign currency cheque? Not sure

Why didn't she simply wire the money into het account? Trying to hide something from the tax man?? :o

Thanks will try another branch and see how it goes.

I have paid foreign cheques into my own acct before and know it takes a while to clear. Wasn't too sure because it wasn't my acct. But a bit strange how the banks telephone info was way off.

No, I don't think this is a tax dodge! Knowing the person who sent it not really the scenario. More likely thought sending cheque easier than a transfer. Although more likely she has shares in DHL and wants to give them some business. :o

cmsally,

I tried paying in some cheques drawn against a uk bank but was told,

1. my passbook was required

2. so was sight of my passport

3. it would take up to 40 days to clear them

Bank the funds in home country and transfer the funds is going to be a lot quicker and less complicated

dog