Can Buy S. R. T. Train Tickets In Pattaya?

wpcoe

I live in Jomtien, but would like to be able to make plans for train trips originating in Bangkok. Usually, I go up to Bangkok a day early any way to do shopping, have dinner and just buy the ticket there a day early. However, is there a way to buy a train ticket in Pattaya? Do some travel agents do this?

The SRT web site is not very helpful. I don't see a link to make a reservation, and some of the links on the home page are dead ends.

I forgot there was train service to Pattaya! Where is the Pattaya station, and any ideas what hours it is manned?

Hmmm. I took a look at the Pattaya schedule on the SRT web site. Yikes, it takes four hours -- in Third Class, no less -- to get to Bangkok? I guess I could get off at Lat Krabang and connect with the ARL train for the rest of the ride. I assume it's an easy connection? :unsure:

I forgot there was train service to Pattaya! Where is the Pattaya station, and any ideas what hours it is manned?

Hmmm. I took a look at the Pattaya schedule on the SRT web site. Yikes, it takes four hours -- in Third Class, no less -- to get to Bangkok? I guess I could get off at Lat Krabang and connect with the ARL train for the rest of the ride. I assume it's an easy connection? :unsure:

The train station is located just off Siam Country Club Road. Head north on Sukkie from North Pattaya or catch it at the top of Central Road...drive down SCCR for about 1 kilo to a large intersection and rail road crossing...take a left down the small road that runs parallel to the tracks (before you cross the tracks). The train station is the building about 200-300 meters down the road on the right side. Can't miss it as it's there all by itself . They are open from around 8 or 9 in the morning till at least 5 pm. You can get schedule information and also buy any tickets you may need.

However you can't book more than 6 weeks in advance for some reason . We went to Humpy station to buy tickets for Chiang Mai but couldn't buy the return tickets because the date falls outside of the six weeks. Not even the ticket seller could tell us why when my gf asked him.

However you can't book more than 6 weeks in advance for some reason . We went to Humpy station to buy tickets for Chiang Mai but couldn't buy the return tickets because the date falls outside of the six weeks. Not even the ticket seller could tell us why when my gf asked him.

Actually you are only part right. You can book 60 days in advance according to posted info.

Check the State Railway of Thailand website for detailed information:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Actually you are only part right. You can book 60 days in advance according to posted info.

Check the State Railway of Thailand website for detailed information:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

My apoligies if i am confused about the length of time. However it was a damm nusiance having to come back to book the return ticket. Apparently the website for Thai rail is still unavailable for booking rail tickets as well.

I recall several years ago -- I know it was before I moved to Jomtien, so at least six years ago -- that at least the seat availability portion of the SRT web site was operational. I can't recall now if one could actually make a reservation, but I clearly recall being able to check availability.

Today, clicking on the "Available Seat" link leads to a "404 - File or directory not found" server error.

I recall several years ago -- I know it was before I moved to Jomtien, so at least six years ago -- that at least the seat availability portion of the SRT web site was operational. I can't recall now if one could actually make a reservation, but I clearly recall being able to check availability.

Today, clicking on the "Available Seat" link leads to a "404 - File or directory not found" server error.

The site has been down for quite a few months now and nobody we spoke to in Humpalong Railway station knew when it was going to be working again.

If you want to buy tickets and can't get to a railway booking office yourself, u have to pay somebody to do it for you. There are a couple of Bangkok travel agents on the net who do it, understandably, for a commission / fee.

In the past I've used travel agents in KS Rd in BKK to book train tickets. There print them out on the spot. Seem to remember it added about 20 Baht to the price.

Maybe it's possible to do this in Pattaya too.

I've taken about a dozen train rides in Thailand, and most of them start out from the origination point on time, but become amazingly late the farther they go.

My last train, from Hua Hin to Bangkok, scheduled to depart at 1601, departed at 1605, but even with no perceivable delays (not many slow spots, not many stop-and-waits) still arrived Hualampong about 45 minutes late.

That train originated in Sura Thani at 1040, and I was duly impressed that it was still pretty much on time at Hua Hin five hours into its journey.