Scb Debit Card/ Visa Card For Farang?

I prefer not to use my European card Visa with a rather large limit for smaller amounts and/or at point of sale which might be risky.

Is a SCB debit card good for more than ATM withdrawls? Internet purchases, air line tickets? Doesn't seem so.

Also was told that farang on retirement visa cannot get a Thai issued Visa card. Correct?

Any differences is handling by various banks?

INFO, I inquired in K bank about getting a Visa Card for my wife and I and was told by the Bank Manager that; if I deposit 2 Million Thai Baht into a fixed account then they would issue us a Visa Card with a 1 Million Baht limit.

Edited by cougar52

For a credit card issued by a Thai bank, the regulations state that the account holder must have a work permit, obviously not available on a retirement visa.

The alternative is to deposit an amount with the bank which is fixed and this covers the credit limit in case of default.

No problem with using foreign credit cards as far as security involved, I have been doing this in many bars, shops etc for 16 years with no problems.

Only time my card was cloned was in a department store in Japan !

INFO, I inquired in K bank about getting a Visa Card for my wife and I and was told by the Bank Manager that; if I deposit 2 Million Thai Baht into a fixed account then they would issue us a Visa Card with a 1 Million Baht limit.

Same ratio with scb couple of years back for myself. They were surprised when I declined the offer.

You can easily open an account with K bank with a debit card visa attached to the account,you can then make the same card usable as a web shopping card and get online banking for it also.normally you only need to let them copy your passport.I and many of my friends have this and it took no longer than 30 minutes to open the account.

You can easily open an account with K bank with a debit card visa attached to the account,you can then make the same card usable as a web shopping card and get online banking for it also.normally you only need to let them copy your passport.I and many of my friends have this and it took no longer than 30 minutes to open the account.

yes I recommend K-bank they have good service and the internet banking is very good also.

In my local KBANK, I deposited and "locked" 200k in a fixed deposit account and they gave me a Platinum VISA card with 200k limit. No company/work permit needed if you lock the money. Several phone calls from KBANK in Bangkok to clarify things, but card issued within 2 weeks.

As a retiree I have a SCB Master Card and a Bangkok Bank Visa Card. In order to use the Visa Card for on line air ticket bookings etc I had to go through the verified by Visa registration process. Good for security. Their web site shows the procedure.

yes I recommend K-bank they have good service and the internet banking is very good also.

Agreed. I've tried most of the main banks and for me KBANK is the best. Very good internet banking, English speaking and reasonably knowledgeable staff (at least in my branch).

Bank of Ayudhya (yellow bank) issues Visa CC to foreigners without WP on any kind of permit to stay

They have reserved 120% of cards credit limit in my savings account. IOW 80k baht reserved, 64k baht limit Gold Card, sufficient to buy tickets etc online. If I need more in card, simply install money in card account in any branch. 7 years now, no problems at all :)