'Operation Ellamy': British forces carry out second strike against Libyan defense systems

News_Editor

'Operation Ellamy': British forces carry out second strike against Libyan defense systems

2011-03-21 08:28:09 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON/TRIPOLI (BNO NEWS) -- British Armed Forces on Sunday participated in the second co-ordinated strike against Libyan Air Defense Forces, the British Ministry of Defense said.

The attacks are part of Operation Ellamy, which is the codename for the British participation in the enforcement of the Libyan no-fly zone to stop government-led attacks on civilians.

"For a second time, the UK has launched guided Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAM) from a Trafalgar Class submarine in the Mediterranean as part of a coordinated coalition plan to enforce the resolution," said Major General John Lorimer, the UK's Strategic Communications Officer Major for the Chief of Defence Staff.

Lorimer added that the United Kingdom and its international partners, among them French and U.S. troops, are continuing operations in support of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973, which authorized the establishment of a no-fly zone and calls for any measures required to protect civilians in Libya.

Earlier on Sunday, Lorimer confirmed a number of British Typhoon aircraft have landed at the Gioia Dell Colle airbase in Southern Italy, where they are on standby for future tasking.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-21

One post removed for violation of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

"Libyan television reported citing military officials that at least 50 civilians were killed and over 150 wounded in military attacks of the coalition forces, adding that many health and education facilities were ruined."

http://rianovosti.com/world/20110320/163112818.html

Same pattern as everytime!

Tiger

Yes same pattern as everytime.

You should have learned by now that they were only killed by mistakes. There is no intention to do that. Don't forget that before you wanna frame anybody.

Operative words: mistake and/or human shields.

And as posted in the other threads, an opposition spokesman said that Ghadaffi forces took people killed in the fighting and displayed them as casualties of the bombing. I am not saying they are or are not, but some people seem to take an anti-Western slant on each and every action while wholeheartedly buying into the words of people like Ghadaffi.

I don't think we should be there, but that does not mean I buy everything coming out of that camp hook, line, and sinker.

And it always seems strange to me that the West always hits schools and hospitals. Seems to me that if you believe the accounts, these guided missiles and smart bombs must be very, very good to be able to seek out and surgically destroy all schools and hospitals while avoiding military targets.

And as posted in the other threads, an opposition spokesman said that Ghadaffi forces took people killed in the fighting and displayed them as casualties of the bombing. I am not saying they are or are not, but some people seem to take an anti-Western slant on each and every action while wholeheartedly buying into the words of people like Ghadaffi.

I don't think we should be there, but that does not mean I buy everything coming out of that camp hook, line, and sinker.

And it always seems strange to me that the West always hits schools and hospitals. Seems to me that if you believe the accounts, these guided missiles and smart bombs must be very, very good to be able to seek out and surgically destroy all schools and hospitals while avoiding military targets.

I agree with most of what you say however, if the bombs and missiles are 'smart' and 'guided' then why did one hit Ghadaffi's compound? It's supposed to be a no fly zone, not a free for all.

Yes, its all lies and propaganda that the NATO or here the French, British and US forces kill any civilians. It never happen. Not in the past and not now.

"Libyan television reported citing military officials that at least 50 civilians were killed and over 150 wounded in military attacks of the coalition forces, adding that many health and education facilities were ruined."

http://rianovosti.co.../163112818.html

Tiger

You should have learned by now that they were only killed by mistakes. There is no intention to do that. Don't forget that before you wanna frame anybody.

Actually, you first have to believe the reports coming from Libya's state controlled TV, then decide if you think that the report is true. They certainly aren't letting the international press report with any accuracy!

Yes, its all lies and propaganda that the NATO or here the French, British and US forces kill any civilians. It never happen. Not in the past and not now.

You seem to like to put words into my mouth. I never said that these things don't happen. Heck, the Western militaries admit it.

I am just saying that some of you seem to take each and everything which comes out of Ghadaffi/Taliban/Al Qeda as the gospel truth.

Ghadaffi is a crazy loon. have you listened to any of his speeches. And frankly, I take any and everything he says with more than a grain of salt.

As I wrote, I don't think the US should be into this mess, but that does not mean I will jump into Ghadaffi's camp and breastfeed off of his spoutings.

http://rianovosti.co.../163112818.html

Tiger

Actually, you first have to believe the reports coming from Libya's state controlled TV, then decide if you think that the report is true. They certainly aren't letting the international press report with any accuracy!

Actually, you first have to believe the reports coming from the coalition's state controlled TV, then decide if you think that the statement is true. They certainly aren't letting the international press report with any accuracy!

Edited by EnSvenskTiger

Actually, you first have to believe the reports coming from the coalition's state controlled TV, then decide if you think that the statement is true. They certainly aren't letting the international press report with any accuracy!

Are you serious?

The tv in the West is not state controlled, and FOX, CNN, BBC, whatever thrives on outing the government. Catch the government in a big enough lie, and you win a Pulitzer or Emmy.

Ask the leadership of the US, UK, France, Spain, etc if they think the press is on their side or against them, and you know what they will answer.

Are you serious?

The tv in the West is not state controlled, and FOX, CNN, BBC, whatever thrives on outing the government. Catch the government in a big enough lie, and you win a Pulitzer or Emmy.

Ask the leadership of the US, UK, France, Spain, etc if they think the press is on their side or against them, and you know what they will answer.

Perhaps the media wherever EnSvenskTiger happens to be residing can supply us with an unbiased report of how Col. Khaddafi's regime is treating the people of Libya and the results of the missile attacks on air defense sites, until then I think I'll stick with CNN that tends to report that "independent verification is not possible", which to me suggests the Khaddafi regime is hiding the truth from independent observers.