Where To Invest

With the low interest rates in Thailand, it's not really worth thinking about term deposits. The entry and management fees of a managed fund would eat up the principal pretty quickly.

My advice. Either pay off some debts if you have any (car loan, mortgage, credit cards), or simply buy 14-15 baht of gold.

You might get between 3 and 4 percent at a Thai bank for a CD like account if you leave it there for 3 years or so....people on TV seem to like gold is usually considered to be pretty much a non performer long term....even gold investment people will tell you that historically gold is not a good longterm investment...its good to keep for emergencies....gold had gone up alot in the last year more or less so everyone is all excited about how much you could make...but maybe its at its peak and will go down...who knows?...I certainly don't.

Bendix,

What are the entry and said managment fees and where does one open a Thai account?

I'd like to put somthing into the SET if possible.

Kempos.

You didn't give your age, income, other investments, lifestyle, etc., so it's a difficult task to give a good answer.

Read books by Peter Lynch, Warren Buffet, John Bogel. Practicle, successfull guys.

My general advice:

6 months living expenses should be in savings for emergencies.

Pay off any credit card debt you may have.

Keep 6 months living expense in a bank

Make steady payments into a retirement account.

Avoid fees if possible.

Don't put more than 4% into any single stock.

Could buy a mutual fund with a 10 year track record or more or index fund.(a basket of stocks)

Don't time the market.

Sorry, the Skipper. I don't have specific information on particular funds, but my experience of being in managed funds overseas is that there is usually an entry fee (from 1-5% depending on the asset class), and then a management fee on top of that.

That sounds bad, but returns are usually quoted after tax and management fees, so keep that in mind.

I used to work for ING, so I'm in some funds without having to pay for entry fees, inlcuding some focused heavily on Asia Pacific and Thailand.

As always . .consult your financial adviser. Taking financial advice from a bunch of non-qualified but well-meaning people on the net is not fail-safe.

If you had bought gold 2 weeks ago it could have made you about 500 per baht. If you had bought 15 bht and sold it that would have got you 7,500 profit :D

gold is still on the rise and if this typhoon kate hits the usa watch it go up rapidly.

The money you have is not so much but with gold you can sell at any point and anywhere. Far outweighs a savings account IMHO at the moment we are in for some economic storms so hang on. :o