The Tastiest Beer In Thailand?

Pikey

Ladies and gentlemen, whether it's a good idea or not :o , I am opening a cafe/bar in Chiang Mai in a few weeks time and need some advice to make the most of my fridge space. I hope to attract both farang and Thai and want to stock 3 brands of beer. I'm listing the most popular ones (to my knowledge) and if you fancy selecting your top 3, I'll do the sums after a reasonable amount of posts and the 3 most popular make it to the fridge.

1. Chang

2. Heineken

3. Leo

4. Singha

5. Tiger

I'll post again nearer to opening night giving the details but needless to say, there will be a promotion on the night and I'm also thinking of a loyalty discount for regular TVers :D .

Thanks a lot!

Pikey.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and gentlemen, whether it's a good idea or not  :o , I am opening a cafe/bar in Chiang Mai in a few weeks time and need some advice to make the most of my fridge space. I hope to attract both farang and Thai and want to stock 3 brands of beer. I'm listing the most popular ones (to my knowledge) and if you fancy selecting your top 3, I'll do the sums after a reasonable amount of posts and the 3 most popular make it to the fridge.

1. Chang

2. Heineken

3. Leo

4. Singha

5. Tiger

I'll post again nearer to opening night giving the details but needless to say, there will be a promotion on the night and I'm also thinking of a loyalty discount for regular TVers  :D .

Thanks a lot!

Pikey.

I think i'll have to go with....

1. Chang (by a mile)

2. Singha

3. Heineken

If sales are the most important:

1. Singha (must-have for locals, even though it kicks like a mule)

2. Heinekin (for farangs, even though its pretty ordinary)

3. Chiang or Leo, even contest

If you care about taste:

1. Chiang (even though it kicks like a mule)

2. Leo

3. Tiger...or Heinekin if you really must...

Singha doesn't taste that bad, but more than 2 glasses assures me of a filthy hangover. Is there something nasty in that stuff? All of Singha's other beers are ok, its just the 'plain vanilla' that is bloody awful.

Anyone know where I can get light beer in Bangkok? (Yes I am a wuus).

Chang - when I don't care what happened the night before :o

Heineken - when I'm thristy but don't want to drink water (marginal difference)

Tiger - the best of everything (IMHO)

The locals will want Singh, so will knock Chang off my list to allow for them.

Edited by tywais

Good Luck with the new business venture Pikey. The best suggestion i can make is whatever beer you stock make sure its cold. Too many bar owners in thailand turn off the fridges after closing to save on electricity. Nothing worse than warm beer.

Good Luck with the new business venture Pikey. The best suggestion i can make is whatever beer you stock make sure its cold. Too many bar owners in thailand turn off the fridges after closing to save on electricity. Nothing worse than warm beer.

Actually there is, beer with ice in it :o

yep, don't you hate that when they put ###### ice in your beer! The beer will always be cold Cobber coz it's based on lager so "best served chilled" e.t.c.

I can never understand that, to me, lager all tastes the same and I reckon if I chilled my own p*ss down cold enough, I could drink that. Man, I'm gonna miss my warm, flat English ale :o

I thought of it more as providing a "public service" Neeranam and for sure, don't want to abuse this forum!

Sorry for that negative post man.

As for your question, I'll say that beer chang is the best beer for getting smashed but it tastes like shit, and has a bad after-effect. One day I drank 12 big bottles of the stuff, and that was in the middle of a much bigger binge. Used to get 4 bottles for 100 baht where I lived. Does anyone drink it for the taste? Does anyone else drink for just the effect?

Heineken, tastes good.

Leo, not much taste and the little it has is horrible.

Sing, well that was my favourite, but has little effect compared to a bottle of the big one(ow bia sat yai kuat yai).

<deleted>!, it's been a ###### of a day and I can't have any of the above :o .

What would you guys drink if you couldn't drink beer? Sorry off topic.

If you look in many uk pubs they have a wide range of beers in relation to thai places so why not stock the lot from the beginning and cut out those your customers don't buy.Can't go wrong then.There isn't exactly a huge range to choose from in the first place.It shouldn't break the bank either.

yep, don't you hate that when they put ###### ice in your beer! The beer will always be cold Cobber coz it's based on lager so "best served chilled" e.t.c.

Man, I'm gonna miss my warm, flat English ale :D

At your service, :D I cube you not :D "My Country, My Beer" :D

large.jpg:D

Good Luck Pikey and (For Original Photos PM me please, FOC, BTW, well alright just one beer then.) :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :o:D

Chang and Heineken is pretty essential. If a bar does not carry both then it is not really a bar for me.

Tiger is a good choice to have for those who are sick of Heineken but are staying from Chang for the night before..

What about canned Guinness? Expensive but worth it (IMO).