Helpin Elderly Foreigners In Need In Chiang Mai

Mapguy

To all who showed interest.The next meeting of Ageing Network is now Thursday 7th April at The Raintree Resource Centre At 5.30pm.

It has been moved as the 6th is a Thai holiday.

Maybe you could invite this group to answer some questions.

http://www.chiangmaicpe.org/

I checked out the website of this organization and, at first, it seemed to be an answer to many of the concerns posted on this thread. In fact, its mission overlaps that of the Ageing Network in many areas. However, the more I dug into the site, I realized that it was created just a few weeks ago. Maybe the organization has been around for a while, but the site is new. Has anyone had experience with this Chiang Mai CPE organization as a client? Not as someone who pays for their training courses and receives (guess what!) a one-year ED visa! This group is affiliated with CMU and given their history in leaving a couple hundred foreigners in their Language Institute stranded without visas, I'm doubtful about how genuine their mission "to care for the local expat community and help in times of crisis and need."

The website was recently set up because the services run outside the university and the new website is strictly in English where as the university website is difficult to navigate because it is mostly in Thai even when you switch to English, however if you go to the website: http://www.chiangmaicpe.org/ and then click on "Division of Philosophy and Religion" you will see it brings up the Chiang Mai University Department: http://.www.philcmu.com/?personlt.php&type=TE

The services are free or by donation (they don't ask) but if you search any Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program in the world they charge the students for the class that's how universities stay in business, also the chaplain organizations charge a licensing fee yearly, I suppose that is what is meant by "professional fees".

Chiang Mai University gives 1 year ED visas for all of the foreign students this is the only legal way they can study, keeping in mind that there are prerequisites to enter the program which include a minimum of a masters degree in a related area as well as an entrance exam and interview, also a maximum of 6 students are accepted per year. I wanted to study in this program but I do not have the degrees and was rejected however they invited me to work with them as a volunteer, I do not need a visa of any kind so it's not a problem but some of the foreigner who want to help need a volunteer type O visa and work permit, they do not ask for money for this but they make sure the qualifications are correct and not fake.

I suppose the website does not give all of those details and I will mention it to them because I can see what you are saying and how it may be perceived as odd.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashoka, thank you for clarification the CMU CPE program. Based on your description it does sound like a legitimate eductional program for the 6 students who meet the entrance qualifications and I don't think anyone would argue that it's wrong for CMU to obtain ED visas for them.

What if someone wants to volunteer but doesn't have an appropriate visa? Is CMU offering ED visas for people in this situation, i.e. those who don't meet the entrance requirements and/or aren't able to do the required coursework?

Has anyone utilized the services of this program as a client? It would be nice to hear of some first-hand client experiences. It seems that the students in this program could be of assistance in some of the specific cases highlighted on this thread.

Edited by NancyL

This is a little late, but I just want to say sorry for my share in the personal argument that has now been deleted. I take a few medications, during worse periods, that can cause a disinhibition effect so I am not as restrained as I might otherwise be. I should stay off the computer during those times, I know, but I don't have a lot of other things to do. So, sorry to those of you who read all of that.

Ashoka, thank you for clarification the CMU CPE program. Based on your description it does sound like a legitimate eductional program for the 6 students who meet the entrance qualifications and I don't think anyone would argue that it's wrong for CMU to obtain ED visas for them.

What if someone wants to volunteer but doesn't have an appropriate visa? Is CMU offering ED visas for people in this situation, i.e. those who don't meet the entrance requirements and/or aren't able to do the required coursework?

Has anyone utilized the services of this program as a client? It would be nice to hear of some first-hand client experiences. It seems that the students in this program could be of assistance in some of the specific cases highlighted on this thread.

An "ED" visa is only for studying and you have to enroll at a university to get one. Chris told me that they either get an "O" or a "B" visa and a work permit for people volunteering with the program but there are a lot more details I didn't pay much attention to because I don't need a visa. The only reason they are taking volunteers right now is because they do not have enough people to meet demand, I was a monk for 12 years so they offered me a position. As far as people they work with, I know Chris does counseling one on one in his office at CMU (for free). They also work with Cancer Connect Chiang Mai, Suan Dok Hospital, the VFW, students and staff at CMU, Lanna Hospital, The tourist police and Chiang Mai prison. CMCPE has been doing this kind of work unofficially for 3 years but now they are official. I do most of the PR stuff as a volunteer (which wasn't my intent here) because I speak English pretty good or so they tell me. I would say give Chris a call or send an email he is very nice and would be happy to talk to you, you can also call the university department office but they do not speak English, if you would like the number I can get it.

<br />
... snip ... There are many volunteers, some of whom have CM work permits (for other activities of course). But all have been here long enough and are confident enough not to constantly be looking over their shoulders, or sit around commiserating while doing nothing, simply due to lack of the little blue book.<br /> <br />There is a Middle Path. The Lord Buddha taught us about it and, while not a Buddhist, I strongly recommend it to those who may be sincerely interested in assisting this topic. There is no space for nervous, hand-wringing passengers.<br />
<br />Interesting, appears to be using a humanitarian cause as a rationale for venting personal spleen: believe that may be accurately termed "self-righteousness." If you are going to cite the Buddhist "Middle Path" during your spew, you might at least do some research on what the "majjhimā paṭipadā" is: it is not: "if you are not my friend: you are my enemy;" it is not: "if you do not enthusiastically embrace everything I advocate without critical analysis and evaluation: you are ... fill in your choice of negative stereotypes here ..."<br /><br />And, perhaps, while you are at it look up "karuna metta." And, you might want to round that out with looking up Gautama the Buddha's famous reply at Kalamas where he discusses how one recognizes a "true teacher."<br /><br />~o:37;<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, interesting, orangeperson! You seem to be using your (admittedly) superior knowledge of Buddhism to stray as far away from this topic as possible, using astonishing vitriol as ugly and vicious as your avatar!

Please try hard to examine the points I make:

1. Please don't anyone confuse the 2 recent initiatives to help people around here. The one to which I refer is non-denominational and does not yet have a website.

2. Please don't be deterred by 'aspects of local life' that could mitigate against people helping each other. We who have been here a while know how to go about this, using humanitarian care, without compromising our 'status' here.

If I ever see you raising a (large) little finger towards directly helping a fellow expat in distress around here, I will acknowledge some leeway for you to vent. Until then, I suggest you put up or shut up.

You would be most welcome to 'put up' at the meeting of (for want of a better term at present) the British Hon Consul's group on the 7th (yes, the US is represented), and show how you might contribute something constructive.....

PLEASE, slow down, guys! Slow down!

I am not a moderator. Not my bag. Never will be. But please don't vent any personal animosity (aka start pissing contests) here. Please!

There is a real increasing problem with expatiate elderly needing help in various degrees in Chiang Mai (and in Thailand) who, in varying degrees, can not take care of themselves. I have my own personal thoughts about them and in dealing with their problems, but I think it is worth hearing others' opinions without getting pissed off with one another! That's why I originated the thread.

I have posted before that those who feel they need personal help and those who wish to help them should communicate basically by personal message. How do you get together? You could start a "personal help" thread. Just start one. Whether TV feels that it is within the "rules,' that is up to TV. :jap:

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE, slow down, guys! Slow down!

I am not a moderator. Not my bag. Never will be. But please don't vent any personal animosity (aka start pissing contests) here. Please!

There is a real increasing problem with expatiate elderly needing help in various degrees in Chiang Mai (and in Thailand) who, in varying degrees, can not take care of themselves. I have my own personal thoughts about them and in dealing with their problems, but I think it is worth hearing others' opinions without getting pissed off with one another! That's why I originated the thread.

I have posted before that those who feel they need personal help and those who wish to help them should communicate basically by personal message. How do you get together? You could start a "personal help" thread. Just start one. Whether TV feels that it is within the "rules,' that is up to TV. :jap:

Any follow-up to the meeting/discussion last Thursday? Would like to be kept abreast as I was unable to make it and would like to be involved in future meetings.

Thanks,

CB