Your Experiences With Reverse Culture Shock

livinthailandos

The thing I have to look out for is riding my motorbike "Thai style". You know, where you over take everyone in the wrong lane, pull out into traffic with only a quick glance, weave my way in and out of stopped traffic until I get to the front of the line, cut across three lanes of traffic without signaling, park on the sidewalk etc, etc. I quickly get over the right lane, left lane thing, because in Thailand I'm quite used to driving the wrong way down a one way street. :whistling:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 4 years in Thailand, im back in the USA to take care of biz that has accumulated over the years, I find that I really have no desire to be here. I left the day of Japans earthquake, arrived in Phoenix and stayed until yesterday when I drove to LA. What you can expect: 100 baht equivalant is about $20 here, a decent cut of steak that I use to pay 2.99 for is now 12.99 a pound. Driving will cost you $20 to putt around town for the afternoon, everything other than property is very expensive or so it seems after the cost of living in Thailand. People are good here, but now seem loud to me, it aint layed back, very concerned with international events, and they wont be interested in your travels as people are out of work everywhere and loosing homes left and right. In Az one in every 16 homes are vacant and much the same here in Cal. Does not seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel this time. Its nice that everyone speaks english, but note that hispanics now number 50 million on the 2010 census and us white-o's went from 69% down to 64% while the latinos increased 43% nationwide, we will soon be a nation of landscapers and dishwashers at this rate. The police seem kinda scary regardless as any traffic stop will be a costly event and always concerned that you might be arrested for what would cost you a 200 baht fine in Thailand. There is a reverse culture shock, perhaps it will ease with time, but I really dont want to spend that much time here when I now feel that Thailand is my home. Good luck.

Last time I was in the states I had to make a trip to the giant supermarket. There were no cashiers, only automated checkout machines. I was having a little difficulty using the machine but fortunately each machine had an imperious employee standing next to it to help you with any difficulty. Why the hell can't they run the machine? You know, like a cashier. Each of them was wearing what looked like a weightlifting belt but for the life of me I couldn't detect any physical activity they were engaged in. I just can't feel any kinship with these people.

American tipping customs for restaurants are shocking. I am now used to more Thai level tipping at restaurants, though I do tip here. In the US, if you tip 10 percent of the total bill you may get sneered at (even if the service was awful), they aren't really happy unless you tip 20 percent of the bill, and if you don't tip at all, you might want a bodyguard (which I understand as they are taxed as if they get a minimum tip) and of course never go back unless you fancy eating snot and spit or worse.

Yes, tipping in the States is a bit odd to me, although I do as a matter of custom.

I never had a job that garnered tips when I was in high school or University. It's one of those concepts of "you tip this person in their job, but not that person."

And if someone gives me a draught beer I order, by pulling a level to fill the glass, I'm supposed to tip - automatically.

I don't care for it.

And yes, if you *don't* tip, you will be sneered at, and they ALWAYS remember who doesn't tip, or who doesn't tip enough. It's like you committed a crime.

American tipping customs for restaurants are shocking. I am now used to more Thai level tipping at restaurants, though I do tip here. In the US, if you tip 10 percent of the total bill you may get sneered at (even if the service was awful), they aren't really happy unless you tip 20 percent of the bill, and if you don't tip at all, you might want a bodyguard (which I understand as they are taxed as if they get a minimum tip) and of course never go back unless you fancy eating snot and spit or worse.

That one is more down to the greedy government looking under every stone

Food service folks...waiters & waitresses are taxes 8% of the total bill.

Although if you stiff them they are allowed to write on the tab that they received no tip.

As such 10% is 2% to them

Weird also to note it is only food workers who get this tax levied against them

No other service workers are assumed to have been tipped.

Not taxi drivers, bell hops, car valets etc.

Been that way for quite a few years now

When I was in the US, I liked their tipping system! On the maybe two occasions I was very unhappy about both the food and the service, I left without tipping, afterwards feeling very satisfied about having clearly expressed myself without having to do any talking.

Although if you stiff them they are allowed to write on the tab that they received no tip.

That seems somewhat unlikely to me.

I put it to you that they are taxed on a nominal tip of 8% of the bill, so that if you tip 10%, they are actually getting 2% tax-free, and paying their marginal rate of tax on the other 8%, while if you tip less than 8%, they are effectively paying a higher tax rate on a smaller tip.

Sometimes, speculation can be more accurate than misunderstanding...

SC

That seems somewhat unlikely to me.

I put it to you that they are taxed on a nominal tip of 8% of the bill, so that if you tip 10%, they are actually getting 2% tax-free, and paying their marginal rate of tax on the other 8%, while if you tip less than 8%, they are effectively paying a higher tax rate on a smaller tip.

Sometimes, speculation can be more accurate than misunderstanding...

SC

Yes you have it the way I intended it.....It is law no doubts there.

Yes they are taxed at what ever rate they are bracketed in on the 8% of the total bill.

Yes 2% is tax free... based on our 10% example

But I also pointed out that all the other receivers of gratuity receive 100% of their gratuity tax free

If you tip less than 8% the waiter/waitress is allowed to write stiffed on the bill or the actual tip amount & are not taxed.

Of course when it is a charge card it is there for all to see.

But again the main point I was making is the discriminatory nature of taxing only food service workers while all other are not taxed at all on tips.

Many waiters/waitresses in high end restaurants end up with a zero or near zero paycheck due to the taxes exceeding the income

Because to add insult to injury these workers can in fact legally be paid less than Federal minimum wage

Edited by flying