Are All Thais Stupid?

SIAMBULL

Take my wife..... please. Just wondering about others' experiences. My wife is a wonderful woman, full of love and caring but after 6 years in the US she is still just plain stupid. ESL, college courses, ongoing tutoring by yours truly and she still can't write a complete English sentence nor figure out how make an appointment. Frustrating to say the least. I thought we would have children but I wouldn't trust her to care for a baby. Oh she'd love and care but would be too confused to call the doctor or get to an ER in an emergency. It's continuous endless head shaking stupidity. I imagine life with her illiterate Isaan Mom would be similar. This lovely woman I married has a Thai college degree and was a working accountant when I met her in Bangkok. Boy did I expect something different.

I often shake my head and say that no intelligent girl would have married me and come to America barely knowing me. Funny, but too true. We only know a few Thais here in the USA. A lot of Laotians in our area who speak a dialect similar to pasa Isaan. Most of them haven't managed to learn English and seem quite stupid too.

I stick with my wife because I made a committment and an agreement and she does take care of me athough her talk of working is useless as she can't succeeed at a job interview. I just wonder if other Farangs have lived through the frustration of discovering just how hugely stupid these cute girls can be. The inability to learn despite help and effort is a very limiting and frustrating thing for her and for me.

BULL

I hooked up with a no-college degree 'stupid' Isaan girl solely because of looks and personality only to later find out that she could probably score close to 800 on a math SAT.

Edited by jazzbo

When you come to live in Thailand, most likely Thais will be saying the exact same thing about you. I have lived in Thailand for quite a while and speak some Thai, but have to get a Thai person to do most things for me or it will be done wrong because my Thai vocabulary is not up to the task.

If you can speak Thai like Joe Cummings of Lonely Planet fame, then maybe you have a point, but he has been studying the language constantly for several decades and has a gift for learning languages to start with.

I for one would not be so hard on K. SB and his frustration ... his mis-judgment IMHO was that all those attributes that allow his wife to be a wonderful person and in control when in her home country do not for many persons transfer to the USA or anywhere else ...

Which is why I am always happy to see on the 'Visas & Migration to Other Countries' front page that there are no topic queries about re-location of a Thai female to the USA.