Thai Domestic ATM Fees To Be Reduced

webfact

Is there any official page that declares this announcement with full details?

The original article should have shown a data table instead of trying to explain it in words, as the words have not covered a number of situations. It seems that news articles like to have everything only in words despite the fact that there are so many other ways of presenting information.

Here is my attempt at a table from the article:

Same bank  Same city  Maximum number of free transfers  Maximum number of free withdrawals
TRUE       TRUE       Infinity                          Infinity
TRUE       FALSE      1                                 ?
FALSE      TRUE       ?                                 4
FALSE      FALSE      ?                                 ?

Can anyone fill in the question marks?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not only withdrawels are charged if in another provence.

Made a deposit into my SCB account two days ago in an SCB in a different provence and was charged a fee for depositing money into my own account in their bank.

• 1 year later...

I made a withdrawal using my SCB ATM card from a bank in Chonburi in an SCB ATM in Chachoengsao. I figured as they were neighbouring provinces, there would be no charge as they come under the same region. I figured wrong. I was charged 15 Baht.

They are not LOSING 100 mill bht, only losing what they got for free in the first place.

You pay for opening an account, virtually get no interest, pay for an atm card, pay to close an account, pay yearly fees for having your account.

What do you get in return--NOWT. All they get is what I mentioned, plus OUR MONEY they keep and use to lend others at a rate of borrowing 10% + They have a nerve.

How long have they been charging at a.t.m.? they should have quite a bit of revenue from it. Now they say they are going to lose money.. A JOKE April 1st early

Where you come from ? you sure in your country the banks are free of charge ? in Italy and in all other countries from my experience banks are a pain. So before speak like many other how shit is this or that in Thailand check your home country and much more if you don't like what they do here why you are here ? why you not go back home and make this place free of people like you ? Too many users here only like to speak bad about Thailand but still always here, live here and spend money here so why speak ? Shut up is better or if you are a man go back home and live in your country.

This comment is for everyone who usually speak bad about this and that but still live here. Is really annoying to read every time always the same shit from people who live here but usually speak bad about this place. There isn't a perfect country where to live so if you are here respect where you are and their rules or go back home.

Respecting host nation and its rules and regulations is one thing.

Being bent over the bar when you want to get some of your money is quite another.

Accepting being bent over said universal retail banking bar should not be confused with being a good farang citizen.

Like it or not, banks are a necessary evil. No banks no credit, how would we access our funds from another county, how would we be paid. There would be no credit cards no atms. Banks have a huge advatage over us, but without them we would be screwed. Life is a bitch sometimes, but thats life.

Recall credit cards before there were ATMs. Some guys on here might also remember manual typewriters, no cell phone or pager.

Electricity? Just kidding. tongue.png

I don't get too emotional or loyal about banks, and in overseas/thailand banking, have learned a few ways on TV Banking Forum to arrange things to avoid fees almost entirely. Didn't take a lot of effort and I walk away from the ATM and mumble "bite me".

I have an idea! Lets start a grassroots action to spread world wide, to all 12 million tourists each year, to bring only travelers checks. Use no atm cards. We can tie up all the bank employees' time counting checks and Thai baht. welcomeani.gif to the Hub of travelers checks.

I think using Traveller's Checks saves me quite a bit compared to ATM WDs.

[My bank in Canada does not charge me to purchase them.]

If the TCs are large denomination, like $500 each, since the Thai banks charge a fee

to exchange each TC.

The fee is significantly less than the 150 baht ATM fee per WD, where my maximum limit per ATM WD is $500 CAD. With a premium account my Canadian bank, BMO, does not charge for the first 5 international Cirrus ATM WDs in a calendar month, though after that it is another $5 each. Additionally i think i am charged a 1 or 2 percent exchange rate for exchanging the currencies (Canadian dollars to Thai baht).

I deposit the TCs into my Kasikorn bank account where i can make WDs for free at

both the bank or KK ATM machines, since they gave me a bank card to do so. They

charge a small annual fee, i think, for these services. If i recall they also give me a bit of interest earned on funds in my account.

Bringing cash on trips to Thailand is another way to avoid the ATM fees.

Edited by oldthaihand99