Waste Of 20 Baht

Just picked up one of the english local papers, its got nothing local in it except we might be getting a cable for electricity from Surat.

it did have an advert for reporters though.

what a waste of 20 baht.

Edited by badwig

what about the buy and sell section?

Samui really needs a paper on par with Phuket and Pattaya, which actually has local news, events ect ect

Yep the buy and sell section was there, all 1 page of it, and 30% of the page was 3 adverts

I just skipped through it again and still can not believe the lack of any decent local news.

There is a very good article on,,,,,,,, err give me a minute,,,,,, err just looking for it,,,,, err I'll come back on that one

Call in at any large resort just after publication day and you can probably pick one up for free.

Agreed though, could do with more Samui news and less syndicated stuff.

chers for the heads up. I actually give more baht out in tips each day than the 20 baht I was charged for the paper.

I just felt I had been mugged into buying old news from the other side of the planet ,and a load of adverts that few people want to read in the first place.

A bit of good news.

2 weeks ago an ascociate of mine was making his way home on his motorbike, a bit pissed as he was,

he came off the motorbike quite hard on the ghost road and was in a bad way,

a middle age Thai couple came out to see the comotion, he was completly unconcious.

they brought him round and with a little help got him into the sidecar on their motorbike,

they then delivered him to hospital where he spent 5 days.

the couple did a good deed in looking after him, and once he woke up in the hospital and was thinking straight

he also realised that he had everything of value still in his pockets and man bag,

after being released from the hospital, he made his way back to the crash scene, located the good samaritans and

justly rewarded them for their help.

it's nice to be nice.

A bit of good news.

2 weeks ago an ascociate of mine was making his way home on his motorbike, a bit pissed as he was,

a middle age Thai couple came out to see the comotion, he was completly unconcious.

they brought him round and with a little help got him into the sidecar on their motorbike,

the couple did a good deed in looking after him, and once he woke up in the hospital and was thinking straight

he also realised that he had everything of value still in his pockets and man bag,

after being released from the hospital, he made his way back to the crash scene, located the good samaritans and

it's nice to be nice.

A lot more interesting than your 20 baht gripe about a newspaper that you say you were mugged into buying!

A bit of good news.

it's nice to be nice.

A lot more interesting than your 20 baht gripe about a newspaper that you say you were mugged into buying!

Yes forget the bad news papers...there are many happy endings to be found on Samui!

A bit of good news.

it's nice to be nice.

Yes forget the bad news papers...there are many happy endings to be found on Samui!

and what happy endings are you refering to smokie :)

A bit of good news.

it's nice to be nice.

why don't u cut and paste your story and send it.

:cheesy:

yes i must insist on a happy ending when i go out !

:cheesy:

yes i must insist on a happy ending when i go out !

my last happy ending was only being charged 60 THB a bottle of San Mig !

A bit of good news.

And maybe that news would not even have happened if he had not been pissed...

And maybe that news would be very bad news if he hit and killed a kid whilst riding pissed...

Sorry - but anyone who rides drunk and finds themselves smeared on the road has only themselves to blame :realangry:

Simon

The last time I read a Samui newspaper some years ago I couldn't believe how many people were getting killed on the road or murdered by business rivals.

Perhaps the 'powers that be' concerned with tourism have censored the rag into toilet paper status.

Edited by krading

A bit of good news.

And maybe that news would not even have happened if he had not been pissed...

And maybe that news would be very bad news if he hit and killed a kid whilst riding pissed...

Sorry - but anyone who rides drunk and finds themselves smeared on the road has only themselves to blame :realangry:

Simon

I agree with you 100%, I'm not so sure there are many kids out at 4am, however I do get your point.

The one thing that has alwayspuzzled me about the paper is the fact all the ads for the holidays are priced in US Dollars. <deleted> ???? :blink:

It is for the island of Samui so I presume people wanting to take advantage of the offers are going to be paying in baht anyway so why the hell are they given in Dollars ? :ermm:

Idid write and ask the editor but didn't receive a reply :huh:

The last time I read a Samui newspaper some years ago I couldn't believe how many people were getting killed on the road or murdered by business rivals.

Perhaps the 'powers that be' concerned with tourism have censored the rag into toilet paper status.

in a word your answer is NO. they just don't have enough staff. that simple.

I think I'll be working for that paper when I arrive in Samui - don't want to say too much here - but I hope I will be, it looks pretty likely. I have changes in mind for it :D.

Closing it down would be a good start :whistling:

Ah now, you have to give me a chance to see if I can do anything with it! It could be a good little paper with some changes and a bit more bite. All suggestions welcome - though not closing it down ta :o. If all is confirmed I'll start another thread and you can all have a good moan which I'll do my best to take on board. :) It would be good to have a good English paper on the island, I agree.

Good luck MudKicker, I hope you can get something happening. It is a base for a good paper, I mean the basic stuff is there just needs a kick in the ass and it COULD be a good paper.

I lived on Samui for 15 years but had to return to Australia for medical reasons last December. I can't wait to get out of this damned nuthouse (Australia) and get back to Koh Samui.

A decent-enough newspaper would be a bonus when I get back there.

Good luck mate!

cool.gif