Cost Of Living In Pattaya

cedd82

you'll also have to budget around 20% of your monies for Visa runs. ........Good luck and at least try itand see for yourself

why? the op can just get 2 60 days tourist visas before he gets here that will cover him for 6 months

rick

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'll also have to budget around 20% of your monies for Visa runs. ........Good luck and at least try itand see for yourself

why? the op can just get 2 60 days tourist visas before he gets here that will cover him for 6 months

rick

Up until March 31 he can get a free double entry tourist visa. His only expense after that will be 2 x 1900 extensions and one border run to Cambodia at about 2000.

I think 700 baht for a buffet sounds like an awful lot of money. Does it have beluga caviar, truffles and foie gras?

Everybody are of course entitled to their personal tastes and opinions but I'd rather spend 300 baht on the 4 course special at Cherries restaurant. :P

This was the reply I put another thread about the Hilton 'Edge' Buffet

I've tried the evening buffet in the 'Edge' restaurant - B700. I thought it was very good and it was fairly quiet when I went on a Monday evening. Good choice of food including salad bar, Japanese section, Thai section, Western section and sweet section. I certainly thought it was well worth the price, went round about 6 times! They also serve complimentary water and a choice of different kinds of tea/coffee at the end. I chose a green tea and it came in an individual flask which held about 1 liter of the stuff!! Beers started at around B100 (Heineken) and the wine I can't remember but an extensive list. Well worth a visit if you fancy sitting up on the balcony section overlooking Pattaya Bay for a few hours.

Cherries pretty good also.

I think both places offer fantastic value as do many many other places around Pattaya.

Let's put it this way. What is the equivilant here of the buffets at The Landmark Hotel in Bangkok? (any of them)

Pattaya is not a 5star destination and probably never will be. It is a 3star destination with a couple of so-called 5star establishments thrown in for window dressing. As such the competition is at the 3star level and below. So you can find lots of decent 3star, 2star, 1star and nostar places to eat, all at reasonable prices by 3star standards. But the really classy places here have little or no competition and, as such, do not need to try at all. So they dont.

If you want class, stick to 5star Bangkok. Or (better) Singapore: that's class.

I personally think that apart from accommodation (which is grossly overpriced both in Pattaya and in Thailand in general) this is a cheap town to live in, compared with other Thai towns. Always assuming that you live near a bahtbus route and eat sensibly which for me are the sine qua non of living anywhere.

I think 700 baht for a buffet sounds like an awful lot of money.

.... I'd rather spend 300 baht on the 4 course special at Cherries restaurant. :P

700B is reasonable for a decent farang buffet in good surroundings.

Rather than buy that or the special at Cherries I would personally go to the Sushi/Hotpot buffet place in Central Festival, for under 250B. There are other similar places around town, mostly somewhat cheaper (especially on Wednesdays).

Let's put it this way. What is the equivilant here of the buffets at The Landmark Hotel in Bangkok? (any of them)

Pattaya is not a 5star destination and probably never will be. It is a 3star destination with a couple of so-called 5star establishments thrown in for window dressing. As such the competition is at the 3star level and below. So you can find lots of decent 3star, 2star, 1star and nostar places to eat, all at reasonable prices by 3star standards. But the really classy places here have little or no competition and, as such, do not need to try at all. So they dont.

Pattaya is a 5 star destination simply because there are 5 star hotels there regardless of your own personal opinon about star ratings.

Here's a good detailed description about star ratings as applied to hotels in Thailand. 3 made this list in Pattaya, although I doubt that's the complete list.

Hotel Star ratings

The point is that major investors don't agree with your assessment that Pattaya "never will be" a 5 star destination.

Edited by tropo

I personally think that apart from accommodation (which is grossly overpriced both in Pattaya and in Thailand in general)

Accomodation overpriced in Thailand, are you serious?

Learn how to read and speak Thai, stay away shyster estate agents and you will find Thailand a bargain for accomdation.

I personally think that apart from accommodation (which is grossly overpriced both in Pattaya and in Thailand in general)

Learn how to read and speak Thai, stay away shyster estate agents and you will find Thailand a bargain for accomdation.

correct

I think 700 baht for a buffet sounds like an awful lot of money. Does it have beluga caviar, truffles and foie gras?

Everybody are of course entitled to their personal tastes and opinions but I'd rather spend 300 baht on the 4 course special at Cherries restaurant. :P

i hate menues and i hate specials because i never know what i am getting and what it will taste. for me the only real thing is a buffet with a huge variety where i can look, take small amounts to taste and then make up my mind what i will eat.

actually i can't judge the "weekday" buffet as i have been only there on fridays (800 Baht) because of the seafood variety which is exceptionally good and which beats hands down those "famous" three Pattaya restaurants Farangs rave about where you spend 1,500 Baht a head and get nothing else than average and overpriced food and drinks served. example: a certain restaurant located on Thappraya Road was recommended on Thaivisa last year. i googled and found on the menue "smoked eel", one of my favourites. i ordered it as hors d'oeuvre and got 4 paper thin slices served which i picked up with one fork swoop and had them. no taste and 400 Baht.

similar experience in another "famous" restaurant located too on Thappraya and in the third one which is located north where Beach Road starts.

Do a course and become a qualified Teacher then you will be able to live quite comfortably but of course you wont be able to laze around all day.

By the way I would suggest that living in Pattaya as a cheap charlie is better than being in say the UK on the same money.

Pattaya is a 5 star destination simply because there are 5 star hotels there regardless of your own personal opinon about star ratings.

One swallow doesnt make a summer. It is a 3star destination with a couple of 5star places, as I said.

The point is that major investors don't agree with your assessment that Pattaya "never will be" a 5 star destination.

We shall see. I dont notice much major overseas 5star investment here.

Sorry, I didnt make myself clear. I was talking about short-term accommodation in the sense of hotels, condos rented monthly etc. of the type the OP would probably be interested in given the nature of the thread.

Yes, good long-term accommodation can be had at reasonable prices if you have the time to find it and you stay away from the centre of tourist areas, but Pattaya is a tourist area and most accommodation prices here are over the top compared to other prices.

those "famous" three Pattaya restaurants Farangs rave about where you spend 1,500 Baht a head and get nothing else than average and overpriced food and drinks served.

You mean people actually go to those places? I always assumed that they existed only to fill advertising space on Pattaya TV channels.

those "famous" three Pattaya restaurants Farangs rave about where you spend 1,500 Baht a head and get nothing else than average and overpriced food and drinks served.

You mean people actually go to those places? I always assumed that they existed only to fill advertising space on Pattaya TV channels.

i guess most people drive to those places B) but to me it's amazing how packed those places were these few times i frequented them.

i hate menues and i hate specials because i never know what i am getting and what it will taste. for me the only real thing is a buffet with a huge variety where i can look, take small amounts to taste and then make up my mind what i will eat.

They do tell you what you get at Cherries, and there are a few different choices.

I don't like buffets as I've had food poisoning from them too often here in Pattaya.

Let's just agree to disagree, shall we? :)

One swallow doesnt make a summer. It is a 3star destination with a couple of 5star places, as I said.

We shall see. I dont notice much major overseas 5star investment here.

How short sighted can a person be? Compare Pattaya now with 30 years ago. Compare it with 20 or even 10 years ago. It doesn't take a genius to see very rapid forward development in the hotel industry.

Seeing you're into catch phrases, a more appropriate one would be: "Rome wasn't built in a day".

Sorry, I didnt make myself clear. I was talking about short-term accommodation in the sense of hotels, condos rented monthly etc. of the type the OP would probably be interested in given the nature of the thread.

Yes, good long-term accommodation can be had at reasonable prices if you have the time to find it and you stay away from the centre of tourist areas, but Pattaya is a tourist area and most accommodation prices here are over the top compared to other prices.

IMHO, the prices of condo rentals and hotel rooms are, for the most part, grossly inflated. This happened over the past 5-10 years. Unfortunately, a "sucker is born every minute" and that is one reason prices have not fallen substantially. The only way to find a good/fair deal is to totally avoid real estate agencies and farang-owned condo units. You have to ask around and work out a fair deal. It used to be very easy to find a good deal. Now it has become more difficult. I wonder how long it is going to take before we hear the "official" sound of a major real estate market crash in Pattaya with price reductions in its wake.

How short sighted can a person be? Compare Pattaya now with 30 years ago. Compare it with 20 or even 10 years ago. It doesn't take a genius to see very rapid forward development in the hotel industry.

Actually if you look back 20 years there was a greater proportion of classy hotels then than there is now. The number of really classy places has not increased much, but the number of cheap places has been multiplied by 10 at least, if not 20.

Does your 20K/month include the 6K rent, or is the 20K just spending money on top of the rent? Assuming the latter, you will have 650-700 Baht/day to play with.

Book a room at the Jomtien Long Stay hotel, near the Machanu Statue on the sharp bend in Thappraya Road just before coming to Dongtan Beach. The rooms costing 6000 Baht/month are OK, the hotel has a rooftop pool, and it's ideally located for a quiet, cheap, beach-oriented holiday. Jomtien Beach and Dongtan Beach are a short stroll away. Find an open area of sand rather than pay the deck chair vendors. Don't feel guilty, many of the Russians do the same thing. Eat a good farang breakfast for around 100 Baht, widely available in the area. In the nights, eat Thai food if you can, it's cheap and good, 30-50 Baht from a street vendor and maybe 100-150 Baht in a restaurant. 150 Baht will also get you a basic burger and chips or fish and chips. Try the new Chokdee restaurant behind Country Road III. They do a special every day, and once a week it's fish and chips and a beer for 180 Baht. If you need lunch, get a snack from a 7-11 or a beach vendor, maybe 50 Baht. So food is sorted for around 200-300 Baht a day. Drink water, the big 5 Baht bottles are good value, but they have the reverse osmosis machines now that cost just 1 Baht/litre, if you can find one working. If you need booze, drink in Lovejoy's (all local beer 50 Baht) or Fantasy Bar (40 Baht), though on your budget you won't be getting plastered. Your hotel is right on the Baht Bus route if you need to go into Pattaya, so transport costs will be negligible. You can buy cans of Diet Coke or whatever from the 7-11s and Family Marts if you get bored with water. I can't remember if the hotel charges you for power, but as long as you don't want to run the aircon, it's not expensive. Lights, TV and a small fridge will cost around 10-15 Baht/day, unless the hotel is ripping you off on the unit cost. Check this before you book. Depending on what you've eaten and drunk, you'll have 100-200 Baht/day left over for luxuries - sun oil, clothing, books, and so on. It will be a basic and quiet life, but you can do it with no problem.

That is existing, not LIVING!!!!

JH

Hey ###head, why don't you share with us all how you get by here seeing as you have so much to say on the matter, maxed your CC's yet lol

IMHO, the prices of condo rentals and hotel rooms are, for the most part, grossly inflated. This happened over the past 5-10 years. Unfortunately, a "sucker is born every minute" and that is one reason prices have not fallen substantially. The only way to find a good/fair deal is to totally avoid real estate agencies and farang-owned condo units. You have to ask around and work out a fair deal. It used to be very easy to find a good deal. Now it has become more difficult. I wonder how long it is going to take before we hear the "official" sound of a major real estate market crash in Pattaya with price reductions in its wake.

good post, you can also apply that to most things in pattaya, food drink etc, walking street has become outrageously over priced, but there are mugs willing to pay.

that IS value for money. You cannot expect to get the same feast as at the Dusit buffet, but you pay only 100 Baht. And those buffets exist and they are all you can eat. Yes, I am in the fortunate position that I do not have to eat there and for me food has a higher priority than for others. Add a little more money and you can have ok food anywhere in Pattaya. Bei Anton in Nakluea for instance, 180 Baht I think it was. Not too bad. Considering the price great value for money. And in this category Pattaya is unbeatable!

in the high end category there is a place in Pattaya which (i think) is unbeatable. Hilton dinner buffet 700 Baht, on fridays (focus on seafood) 800 Baht.

daylight robery, nothing in Thailand should be priced like that or anywhere near it, fools and their money

that IS value for money. You cannot expect to get the same feast as at the Dusit buffet, but you pay only 100 Baht. And those buffets exist and they are all you can eat. Yes, I am in the fortunate position that I do not have to eat there and for me food has a higher priority than for others. Add a little more money and you can have ok food anywhere in Pattaya. Bei Anton in Nakluea for instance, 180 Baht I think it was. Not too bad. Considering the price great value for money. And in this category Pattaya is unbeatable!

in the high end category there is a place in Pattaya which (i think) is unbeatable. Hilton dinner buffet 700 Baht, on fridays (focus on seafood) 800 Baht.

daylight robery, nothing in Thailand should be priced like that or anywhere near it, fools and their money

I tend to agree. Especialy considering Thai wages. One wonders what Thais really think of us as they

watch some of the grotesque ads on Sophon cable for "Fine wine dine, Pattay"

Of course I like some western food but in general I find it overproced and poor value for money even in Bangkok.

Last place i felt really good about value for money was a meal in Vientienne(yes the French restaurant) with deer beautifully cooked + wine and apperizer.

Even with tips it was only about 10 bucks.

Thats what it should be in Thailand.

Actually if you look back 20 years there was a greater proportion of classy hotels then than there is now. The number of really classy places has not increased much, but the number of cheap places has been multiplied by 10 at least, if not 20.

You totally missed the point. Let me put it another way. In the 70's it was a fishing village.

You can try as much as you like to twist the plot using bogus statistics, but Pattaya is advancing at an amazing rate in all levels of accommodation.

You totally missed the point. Let me put it another way. In the 70's it was a fishing village.

You can try as much as you like to twist the plot using bogus statistics, but Pattaya is advancing at an amazing rate in all levels of accommodation.

The Black Plague also advanced at an amazing rate :) Do you get my point? All growth is not good!

The Black Plague also advanced at an amazing rate :) Do you get my point? All growth is not good!

I'm talking about the hotel industry. I've seen Pattaya advance as a holiday resort for "normal" tourists. Whether that is good or bad depends on whether you're a sex tourist or not.

What bad growth did you have in mind?

no doubt there are fools with money and fools without money. both have in common that they are fools. the big difference is the attitude of the two categories. fools with money do not envy or insult fools without money.

:whistling:

The Mantra is not bad if you want to fork out the dough for their brunch buffet on Sunday.

Their a la carte menu is pretty good too but it is not cheap.

If you don't want the food it is at least worth going there for the cocktails,excellent daquiris.

I would rate The Mantra highly and better than a lot of places that i have been to in Bangkok.

I think it is you who missed the point. Yes, there are more hotels today than there ever have been, but the proportion of 5star rooms has not increased compared to 20 years ago. It is extremely small and, apparently, decreasing. There are more condos today also, and not many of them are 5star either, even if they do ask 5star prices.