Thai Tourist Police Nationwide May Be Transferred Out Of The Police Force

webfact

Tourist Police nationwide may be transferred out of the Police force

Phuket Tourist Police in the spotlight

phuket-1-xwnRAnV.jpg

Some of Phuket's "first friends" may be transferred out.

PHUKET: -- Members of a special government working committee were in Phuket earlier this month to gather information for a study on whether Tourist Police nationwide should be transferred out of the Royal Thai Police for administration by a different government agency or agencies.

Among those who visited the Tourist Police station in Phuket Town were committee chairman Asst Prof Noppadon Inna, special consultant Rewat Chumchaloerm and committee members including Royal Thai Police Lt Gen Chatchawal Suksomjit.

While in Phuket, they were greeted by local police officers and members of the local Volunteer Tourist Police led by Patong-based entrepreneur Claude de Crissey.

Capt Torpan Pusuntiae of the Tourist Police station in Phuket Town explained that the committee was on a fact-finding mission in the region, collecting data and listening to the opinions of local officers.

Among the data gathered were how many tourists visited each region annually and how many used the Tourist Police 1155 “Your First Friend” hotline since it was established two years ago.

“It’s like in the past [when] there was a Royal Thai Police firefighting unit, but it was later dissolved and its responsibilities transferred to local administrative organizations… so [the committee is ] studying which of the responsibilities we currently carry out actually fall under the mandate of the Royal Thai Police and which don't,” Capt Torpan explained.

When the committee finishes its work, it will present its recommendations to Cabinet, which will have the final say as to whether or not a re-organization will occur, he added.

Capt Torpan said he was unaware of any specific deadline for the committee to make its recommendations, however.

The Tourist Police headquarters in Phuket Town is responsible for tourist safety in Phang Nga as well as Phuket, Capt Torpan explained.

The station’s 25 officers represent just one tourist police officer per 281,751 foreign tourists who visit one or both of the two provinces annually, he said.

However, they do enjoy the help of a large number of Volunteer Tourist Police. Thus far, 200 volunteers have passed the mandatory training, which includes first aid. Of these 112 are on active duty in Phuket and Phang Nga: 76 Thais and 36 foreigners.

Thanks to their language abilities and familiarity with Thailand, the foreign volunteers provide invaluable assistance in dealing with compatriots who face problems during their stays here, Capt Torpan said.

Among the languages spoken by the volunteers are English, French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Malay, Dutch, German, Polish, Hindi, Nepalese, Burmese, Hebrew, Japanese and Thai.

They want to recruit more Russian-speaking volunteers to help tourists from that country, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-24

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"transferred" does that mean they will be stationed somewhere else are is the program that has supplied (Thanks to their language abilities and familiarity with Thailand, the foreign volunteers provide invaluable assistance in dealing with compatriots who face problems during their stays here, Capt Torpan said.) this invaluable service will be deleted? Is this a too good to be true scenario? The tourist police are so good that we don't believe it and therefore have to delete it. I just don't think the Thai people like competition, and that's why we can't work here. in order to work here we would have to be obviously inferior such as one from Burma or Laos. What a weird article! :blink:

Just another crazy , mind boggling statement.

Surely Tourist Police , means help for Farangs , so maybe the local police see another opportunity for additional income perhaps.................

What a stupid idea , so who will teach the police how to speak multi lingual ????????????????

Going another step backwards in 2011.............. Amazing Thailand !!!!

I'm trying to remember IF I've EVER heard any account of the Thai Tourist Police actually ever helping any farang??? I mean really helping...in a genuine way...

On the other hand, I have no trouble recalling numerous reports of the volunteer (farang) police volunteers, and perhaps the Thai ones too, being involved in various kinds of misdeeds...

Tourist police have no right of arrest, they are basically a waste of time and only useful to negotiate the price a foreigner has to pay a Thai (if involved in an accident etc),,,thats why if something serious involves a Tourist the Tourist Police must call the Local police to sort it out!!!!!!!

they are just translators

"transferred" does that mean they will be stationed somewhere else are is the program that has supplied (Thanks to their language abilities and familiarity with Thailand, the foreign volunteers provide invaluable assistance in dealing with compatriots who face problems during their stays here, Capt Torpan said.) this invaluable service will be deleted? Is this a too good to be true scenario? The tourist police are so good that we don't believe it and therefore have to delete it. I just don't think the Thai people like competition, and that's why we can't work here. in order to work here we would have to be obviously inferior such as one from Burma or Laos. What a weird article! :blink:

Woo others are getting greedy. They want to have a piece ofpie and don’t like the way the funds, probably very high is distributed

I'm trying to remember IF I've EVER heard any account of the Thai Tourist Police actually ever helping any farang??? I mean really helping...in a genuine way...

As a former police volunteer who has directly assisted foreign tourists in a range of situations (car/bike accidents, mental illness, totally drunk/unable to remember hotel), drug-taking etc etc), I can assure you that there are numerous instances where the police volunteers assist, but such 'good news' is considered 'no news' as far as the media is concerned.

Simon

...What a weird article??? What a weird comment! Too busy bashing to understand it I guess.blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

I just love all the whiners on Thaivisa forums...

Tourist police have no right of arrest, they are basically a waste of time and only useful to negotiate the price a foreigner has to pay a Thai (if involved in an accident etc),,,thats why if something serious involves a Tourist the Tourist Police must call the Local police to sort it out!!!!!!!

Thai tourist police do an important job here, they fill the roll that the bib cannot do, INFORMATION service,' ask directions,' 'can you tell me '. Thats about all, a little bit agronoying for snatch and grab persons though, knowing there are a few more eyes. But now Tourist Police NO NO.. if you reported as some have done to this body re jet sea scams, who do they protect???. I,m not knocking them or the volenteers, its brill, but knock the police wording off and add= Tourism help Guide=

In Pattaya, as well as Tourist Police, we have FPV (Foreign Police Volunteers) based at Pattaya Police station to help with translation and go out with the normal police on "Raids" is needed. Tourist Police are based up in their new offices up "Big Buddha Hill" away from the tourists....

On the other hand, I have no trouble recalling numerous reports of the volunteer (farang) police volunteers, and perhaps the Thai ones too, being involved in various kinds of misdeeds...

There was a documented case in papers and web forums from a few years ago when Tourist Police brought a rogue Baht Bus Drive ro to justice after hitting a Farang Woman with an iron bar for questioning his fare quotation, when the local police would not do so after a week, while the guy was on his taxi stand every day.

The volunteers are not allowed to arrest, but a full-time Thai Tourist Police office can, so I have read on another forum.

Housepainter - wow! Angry man. Who stole your lollipop?

Tourist police seems a good idea - so does actually waiting to see the outcome of this investigation before condemning it.

It's time to throw away the sour lemons and actually consider why we are in Thailand and how good we have it here compared with the countries most of us come from.

"transferred" does that mean they will be stationed somewhere else

Are you impaired in your ability to understand or can you not read? The article very well explains what the intention is.

Both you and jfcChandler are both wrong in what you say. The Tourist Police have the same powers of that of the Royal Thai Police and as for you jfcChandler, The Tourist Police have been very helpful towards me on the occassion that I needed some very important advice. They were very friendly and very knowledgable in the laws of Thailand. I have no doubt that other people have also used the Tourist Police. Some may well be satisfied with their actions and others may not be. I would never call them bad names, and unless you have had some bad dealings with them, I suggest that you keep your childish remarks to yourself..

I just don't think the Thai people like competition, and that's why we can't work here. in order to work here we would have to be obviously inferior such as one from Burma or Laos. What a weird article! :blink:

It appears that you would be better off in your home country. Apparently you are not satisfied here, so just go home.

Take the gun away from them, and make sure they can not be jetski's best helpers in their scams !

I had heart several times where jetski operators offered Tourist police officers a bid of the ransom !

I had also seen Tourist police look at licenses in bars, when i asked if they got a new job, they tried to bust me for anything they could ! But Som num nar to them !!

Cartoon figures, make a goverment controlled tourist guide system instead, where they help tourists who have problems for free !

No police uniforms and guns !

It's a good idea to separate the Tourist Police from the main police force but they still need powers to arrest crooks preying on tourists.

An even better idea would be to take the Immigration Bureau out of the police force and instill a service attitude instead of a police attitude.

I have only had the one occassion to use then and that was about 5 yrs ago to ask for directions. Problem was I don't speak Italian and he did speak english total waste of time so now I just avoid them as they are not worth the hassles.

Both you and jfcChandler are both wrong in what you say. The Tourist Police have the same powers of that of the Royal Thai Police and as for you jfcChandler, The Tourist Police have been very helpful towards me on the occassion that I needed some very important advice. They were very friendly and very knowledgable in the laws of Thailand. I have no doubt that other people have also used the Tourist Police. Some may well be satisfied with their actions and others may not be. I would never call them bad names, and unless you have had some bad dealings with them, I suggest that you keep your childish remarks to yourself..

Pitbullman, I fully agree with you! These guys are genuinely helful and acknowledgeable. One can always have somewhere, somehow one bad experience but don't generalise this to the entire organisation! Bringing them under another administration is perhaps not a bad idea although I believe that they would be better under the same line of command: the Thai Royal Police. And the volunteers are the breaks on corruption and intimidation! Just their presence at the site or with the negotiations is already helpful! Wish other countries would have a similar organisation... Ever met with Cambodian or Lao police along the road or in an accident? You will soon understand the difference!

Edited by dude007

Up until reading this, I thought the Tourist Police were policing the tourists. No idea they were there to give directions and help in translations and other things mentioned above.

What's the big deal if they want to transfer them from the Royal Thai Police to some local administration or agency? Usual beuracrats doing what beuracrats do, that's all.

Pitbullman, I fully agree with you! These guys are genuinely helful and acknowledgeable. One can always have somewhere, somehow one bad experience but don't generalise this to the entire organisation! Bringing them under another administration is perhaps not a bad idea although I believe that they would be better under the same line of command: the Thai Royal Police. And the volunteers are the breaks on corruption and intimidation! Just their presence at the site or with the negotiations is already helpful! Wish other countries would have a similar organisation... Ever met with Cambodian or Lao police along the road or in an accident? You will soon understand the difference!

They have already found somewhere for them. They will become checkout chicks at 7 Eleven.

7-Eleven Joins in Fighting Crimes on Foreign Tourists

The Royal Thai Police have joined hands with 7-Eleven to roll out a program in which tourists can report emergency incidents to Police via participating 7-Eleven branches in popular tourist areas.

National Police Chief, General Wichien Pojphosri; Permanent Secretary for the Tourism and Sports Ministry, Sombat Kuruphan; and Managing Director of CP All, operator of 7-11 convenience store chains in Thailand, Piyawat Thitasatthaworakul signed an agreement to launch a program that will allow tourists to file complaints or report incidents at participating 7-Eleven stores.

They have already found somewhere for them. They will become checkout chicks at 7 Eleven.

7-Eleven Joins in Fighting Crimes on Foreign Tourists

The Royal Thai Police have joined hands with 7-Eleven to roll out a program in which tourists can report emergency incidents to Police via participating 7-Eleven branches in popular tourist areas.

National Police Chief, General Wichien Pojphosri; Permanent Secretary for the Tourism and Sports Ministry, Sombat Kuruphan; and Managing Director of CP All, operator of 7-11 convenience store chains in Thailand, Piyawat Thitasatthaworakul signed an agreement to launch a program that will allow tourists to file complaints or report incidents at participating 7-Eleven stores.

AWESOME!

Do they get STUN GUNS?

:D

Edited by Digicat

Dude I am Russian, Do they give you guns or at least lasers?

I can't wait to zap half of you drunken f*****tards. :D

A mad Russian running around Thailand with a gun umm could end up in another story.

I think that we already have a lot of them around....

I always looked at the Thai Tourist Police as a very positive and valuable organization. It would be sad to see them go.

Really they waste the time of the tourist. They will usually tell you everything you hope to hear, and then after escorting you to the Royal Thai Police, you will just have to explain everything all over again, as to what your problem is or the situation you're dealing with. Translation is what they are doing.....? Hmm, not so sure about that either, at least not the Thai Tourist Police. Speaking from experience, they have never helped me with anything other than pretend to be listening to me,

while they played their Sony Playstation, honestly a real joke, and that was in Hua Hin. I do think on the other hand that the foreigners that volunteer are helpful to stand in and help us understand why the police want money from us for breaking the law, or causing disturbance in public area's, or what is going to happen to us, once we are transported to the police station. But the Thai Police love to beat on foreigners when no one is looking, so watch your back if you do find yourself dealing with them, again speaking from personal experience in Hua Hin, where I lived for six years.

The article is perfectly clear if you bother to read it properly and on the premise you understand the English language.

Softgeorge; Just because the farangs speak 18 languages between them doesn't mean they speak 18 languages so you may well not have someone trying to help you who speaks your language. I'm sure he must have felt helpless about the situation. That someone is trying to help should be appreciated not denigrated.

As far as other crass/pathetic posters are concerned the writers obviously have nothing else to do and maybe even think they're being funny. Setting up an idiots forum so they can post stupid comments to each other all day may be a good idea for them. Perhaps they can charter an aircraft and leave Thailand for good.