Apply For Uk Settlement Visa Within 3 Months Of Leaving Date?

Hello,

I'm about to submit a UK settlement visa application. I notice that it must be done no longer than 3 months before my intended leaving date. We're leaving July 1st so that means we can put in the application April 1st.

My question is... At what point is our application officially submitted? Is it when we do the online application? Or is it when my wife hands in the supporting documents and does the biometric stuff?

Can I submit the online app shortly before April 1st, and submit the supporting docs, get the biometrics done on April 1st?

Thanks!

Perhaps others may confirm their interpretation, but I would say that the application would date from the day it is taken in by VFS and the fee is paid. But the "3 month" stipulation exists because that is the maximum period by which a visa can be post-dated from the date of issue, i.e. when the IO's decision is made, and you can't be sure when that is. So I can't see any point in scrambling to get the application in before 1st April, although before 6th April would be a good idea to avoid higher fees.

To get the visa post-dated make sure you fill in the intended date of travel on the form and refer to it in a covering letter.

if the visa is granted on 1st june, for example, i believe you have until 1st september to use it.

what they said.

We asked for April 1st so we could have it sooner even though we're not leaving until early May. This way we got to submit during a quieter time and get it back in 4 weeks.:lol: So you can submit now, your visa will just have to begin before July 1st.

Unless otherwise requested, the date of the visa will start from the day it is granted, not from the date the application was submitted.

A settlement visa is valid for twenty-seven months and can be used at any time during that period.

There isn't a 'three month rule' where the visa must be used within that time BUT the person must reside in the UK for a minimum of two years, before their visa runs out, to be able to apply for ILR, and if they don't travel within three months of the visa being issued that wouldn't be possible. Then, at the end of their visa, they would have to apply (and pay again) for FLR to enable them to get to that two year residency qualification to enable them to apply for ILR.

Sorry, I've just re-read your OP and realised you're probably asking about having the visa post dated by up to three months. I think the application date starts from the date you submit the paperwork and complete the biometrics at Regent House. But as I said in the previous post you have an extra three month period on the visa you can use as well anyway.

Just be aware that it has been known for an ECO to miss a post dated request and date the visa from the date he's issued it, and, if not corrected straight away, I believe it's difficult to have the date altered.

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, I was asking, 'when is the earliest date I can submit my application?'

I've added a wee reminder I want it post dated in my letter as sponsor. Will make sure we check it when we get wife's passport back.

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, I was asking, 'when is the earliest date I can submit my application?'

I've added a wee reminder I want it post dated in my letter as sponsor. Will make sure we check it when we get wife's passport back.

I would also suggest maybe a separate letter asking this, at the front of the application, or let your wife make the request in her letter - it is her application. Unless it is very clear in your sponsors letter they may well miss it