Thailand Rejects Foreign Election Monitors

webfact

The bottom line is that you DO NOT have the right to any sort of active opinion toward Thailand. You are ALL only visitors here most of whom are reeping many benefits in the form of hiding assets, evading taxes, escaping lives in the west, satisfying sexual fantasy tours, maximizing meager retirement accounts by living in this inexpensive land of "wine", women, and song. A minority are actually here for humanitarian or other non- selfcentered reasons. So spare me this "I have rights" bull. Most of you skating through to the end of your lives in a place that makes it all easy and pleasurable for you without having to pay any dues at all. And before you bring up visa fees or bank account mandates, they are in reality a cheap fee to pay in the end analysis. 2000 baht for 3 months = $60 USD. Wow! Sorry but that does not qualify. I am talking more about dues societally. But no one would want to really get involved even if they could. Only complain like armchair quarterbacks.

Aren't farang paying their dues by paying money for everything they receive here? Do you think Thailand would be better off if they all left?

What is it that you do in Thailand?

No, actually that is not paying "dues", that is called "cost of living" and that will occur no matter where you live on this planet. If your post were applied to the full context of my post you would see that your question was answered already but I will reiterate for you. Societal dues in the form of being a citizen of this country and all that being a Thai national entails which almost all farang posters here clearly demonstrate does NOT apply to them. Even those who have been here for decades are still as foreign to this culture as the day they arrived and perhaps have even taken steps backward instead of forward in their acceptance of the fact that Thais have their own unique way of seeing the universe and still feel that it is the Thais who must change because these visiting farang don't approve. Get real Mr Foreigner Farang. If your opinion of anything Thai is contradictory to your view of Utopia, it is NOT your place to judge and certainly not denegrade the Thai people for it. YOU are the foreigner here even though you would like to believe that the universe revolves around your western view of things. Would the Thai way work for us in the west? Nope, but they are not taking to us in our homelands andin the process telling us we are stupid and brainless even though any reasonable person could pick apart any western country's economy and cutlure and quirky habits of the indigenous locals.

I sought a life life partner and found her here in Thailand. I have investments and business in the USA and teach English here as a sideline boredom breaker and small income generator. Let me know what problems you see with my life too. Love to hear your views. Even if it is really none of your business how I live my life or what I do on a daily basis or what political or moral values I hold.............. getting my drift?

I get your drift, what you are; and there are many like you...are nothing more than white clowns here to entertain Thais, be the butt of their jokes and provide a living for your "life partner." Perhaps you could put on some whiteface and sing mammy B) , just change the words to "farang.

How about a quick self-description please. Let us all know what the supreme whitey should be like, yes? :bah: The only white clowns here are the over sensitive, narcissistic, ego-maniacal turkeys who the Thais love to loathe and these numb skulls deserve all the derision any and all Thais can hand out to them.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's deplorable that a man holding such a position should make such an ignorant and inflamatory statement. It will surely anger his boss.

It does illustrate how rash Thais can be, making an ill considered and un-necessary response when any reference to 'farangs' could have been avoided.

Furthermore, his Majesty does not use the word. Therefore, Politicians who should follow the best examples by setting them.

Sadly, it reminds us that Thais lack self confidence having and inferiority complex to Westerners; they are zenophobic and small minded; they remain led by imbecilical politicians who are a corrupt embarrassment to the country.

Finally, the idiot has barred himself from any involvement with any foreign official in any capacity due to this one revealing insight into his bigotted, biased and ill conceived comment.

The man's a fool.

The run up to the election is what they should be concerned with first. Then monitor the voting place. Let the people police themselves . The Thai voter as do other countries voters deserve what they legally vote into office. When, not if, unlawful acts are alleged/proven, disqualify every candidate of that party in the Province. Then press charges against those involved.

... aw, jeez, are you freakin' kidding? ... another armchair Thai observer ... you writing in from the dark side of the mooon? ... get real Alice!

To become a citizen of another country you most certainly do need to give up your citizenship in your former country. Only those with mixed blood are allowed dual citizenship. Have you ever been to a naturalization ceremony? Have you listened to the vow a new American citizen takes? We're not talking about a retirement visa here. CITIZENSHIP. How many western Thai CITIZENS do you know? Answer: None

Incorrect.

Nice post. :whistling: Care to elaborate? Actually just check out this site: http://www.uscitizenship.info/citizenship-library-dual.htm

Excerpt: "2. If an American citizen were to apply for citizenship in another country, must s/he give up the US citizenship? If not, what are the conditions? What about dual citizenship?

If one takes up citizenship in another country, then the US will consider that person to no longer be a citizen. Incidentally, the same is not necessarily true the other way around. If a person of another country becomes a US citizen then, depending upon the laws of the home country, that country may still consider her/him to be a citizen. There are situations where the US may recognize dual citizenship. For example, a person may have acquired US citizenship through a parent and still be a citizen of another country. The dual citizenship situations generally pertain to citizenship-by-birth, not when the US citizen naturalizes in another country."

... of course they reject election monitors ... they reject observers on the Cambodian border ... they reject any independent 3rd party forensic investigation into the 'coincidental' deaths of 7 people at The Downtowner Hotel in Chiang ... and on, and on, and on.

... Thais reject anything that might reveal what an interminably corrupt and incompetent country Thailand is ... they are desperately fighting a losing battle against an unstoppable and distasteful revelation that will eventually reveal to Thais and the rest of the world the harsh reality of Thailand's truly inferior culture.

... holy, jeez, this is not the 'Land of Smiles' ... what a masterful deception it has all been.

... and the cretin who does not respect westerners? ... well ... consider the source ... just look at him ... an inbred Thai politician ... how much more dispicable and lower an animal is there on this earth?

Edited by swillowbee

To become a citizen of another country you most certainly do need to give up your citizenship in your former country. Only those with mixed blood are allowed dual citizenship. Have you ever been to a naturalization ceremony? Have you listened to the vow a new American citizen takes? We're not talking about a retirement visa here. CITIZENSHIP. How many western Thai CITIZENS do you know? Answer: None

Incorrect.

Nice post. :whistling: Care to elaborate?

You said; "To become a citizen of another country you most certainly do need to give up your citizenship in your former country."

This may be true of the USA but it isn't true of other countries. UK citizens can hold dual citizenship and citizens of other countries can hold UK citizenship too. In fact I have quite a few Thai friends who have both Thai and British passports so your contention is incorrect. As far as western Thai citizens are concerned there are two who are members of Thaivisa.

You see this Thailand's great sadness (and weakness) they just are so arrogant. They firmly believe they do it 'best' and don't need assistance - and, of course, are frightened what a truly free and fair election - monitored - would reveal. If there is nothing to hide - what's the problem?

excellent.

Suthep is an arrogant stupid man for making such a comment. Regarding the vote buying amount, in a very poor small town in Isan 20 tbt was the going amount for 1 vote in the last election the money was distributed by the village chief according to friend who lives in the village

... of course they reject election monitors ... they reject observers on the Cambodian border ... they reject any independent 3rd party forensic investigation into the 'coincidental' deaths of 7 people at The Downtowner Hotel in Chiang ... and on, and on, and on.

... Thais reject anything that might reveal what an interminably corrupt and incompetent country Thailand is ... they are desperately fighting a losing battle against an unstoppable and distasteful revelation that will eventually reveal to Thais and the rest of the world the harsh reality of Thailand's truly inferior culture.

... holy, jeez, this is not the 'Land of Smiles' ... what a masterful deception it has all been.

... and the cretin who does not respect westerners? ... well ... consider the source ... just look at him ... an inbred Thai politician ... how much more dispicable and lower an animal is there on this earth?

"Thailand's truly inferior culture" ? I agree with every other point that you made but I certainly don't believe the culture is inferior, far from it. I do believe however the culture has long ago been hijacked by these self serving a--holes. Anyone pinpoint when the rot truly set in ? Certainly pre Thaksin.

It's deplorable that a man holding such a position should make such an ignorant and inflamatory statement. It will surely anger his boss.

It does illustrate how rash Thais can be, making an ill considered and un-necessary response when any reference to 'farangs' could have been avoided.

Furthermore, his Majesty does not use the word. Therefore, Politicians who should follow the best examples by setting them.

Sadly, it reminds us that Thais lack self confidence having and inferiority complex to Westerners; they are zenophobic and small minded; they remain led by imbecilical politicians who are a corrupt embarrassment to the country.

Finally, the idiot has barred himself from any involvement with any foreign official in any capacity due to this one revealing insight into his bigotted, biased and ill conceived comment.

The man's a fool.

unfortunately, all true about a man who is second in charge of the affairs of the country. amazing

....an unstoppable and distasteful revelation that will eventually reveal to Thais and the rest of the world the harsh reality of Thailand's truly inferior culture....

I am trying to digest your above statement, wondering at the same time, just how you could surmize that Thailand is a truly inferior culture?

Do you mean that any culture that does not pattern itself after our technically very advanced western culture, is a truly inferior culture?

So are you also implying that those of us who are here in Thailand on vacation, on biz transaction, on official state capacity, on personal relationships and affairs and others in Thailand for other not mentioned reasons; are submerging ourselves in a truly inferior culture? :o

Frankly speaking, I disagree with you totally and absolutely.

Perhaps, your perception in this respect is really delimited by your personal exposure and personal experience in living among multi-global-societies, such as communities in Bangkok, Chienmai, Haadyai et al.

It takes some efforts to live successfully and happily within multi-global-societies, if one fails to successfully integrate into such community, the person surely have the option of leaving and moving on.... to one's own utopia.... wherever that utopia is.

I am not criticizing you, ok? Just want to remind you that you are entitled to your opinion and that you have the option of moving on and moving out of this truly inferior culture, any time at your own convenience, ok?

I'll also be happy to throw you a going away private party too. ;)

Suthep looks more indian than Thai.

What do Thai's need foreign election monitors for ?

Surely a group of well respected citizens could be selected to do it.

America can't run straight elections look what happened with George Bush in his rise to power.

Here in NZ clean and green oh yeh! We can sway an electorate to vote against its own candidate to get another minor party a seat in MMP style elections giving that candidate seven seats which will put the party that swayed that electorate into power with the scumbag that their electorate voted for in a coalition.

Crooked democracy at work.

So let the Thais do there thing and monitor it's own election because the rest of the world aint got to hot a record.

If all was well in this world psycopaths would not be allowed to rule for years--- loook at the 2 to 300 million the US just spent shooting missiles at one recently.

March on democracy.

I find the statement disgusting, racist, and xenophobic. What if Vice President Biden publicly announced, I don't respect Asians! Don't make excuses for this kind of thing, that's so Thai-ier than Thou it isn't even funny.

If Asians were Republican, you know Biden would would use nasty name calling in describing them.

This kind of attitude is typical from a Banana republic minister frustrated to be so small on the international scene, what the west have to care about, it doesn't make any difference if Thailand do or say something.

It's really laughable when this moron talk about sending military support in Libya, ah yes send what!!?? No ground operation, so what!!?? their decommissioned rusty aircraft carrier maybe haha. Even troupes on the ground would be crushed easily by Qaddafi's army.

So small you are Thailand and you play arrogance!!

Woop pak dee kua Khun Suthep.

They were talking about sending military to Libya? Please tell me thats a joke, as a former Marine i would feel pretty confident invading Thailand with just a company of Marines.

I also hope that K Sutep has been misquoted, however you could understand him "not respecting" Farangs when reading the quotes I have referenced. They and many others

indicate more than a normal response to Khun Suthep's alleged comments. Many of the posts on this subject are just plain contemptuous of Thais and Thailand and yet feign

outrage at being not respected. Banana republic that was smart enough to score the bulk of the jobs in the car manufacturing industry in Asia and export the world over the

world indicates signifigance on the international scene. Some former Marine so arrogant as to not even see the need to identify what sort of Marine. British? Thai? I think not,

that sort of boasting sadly comes from brainwashing during training and we all know who does that.

I find the statement disgusting, racist, and xenophobic. What if Vice President Biden publicly announced, I don't respect Asians! Don't make excuses for this kind of thing, that's so Thai-ier than Thou it isn't even funny.

If Asians were Republican, you know Biden would would use nasty name calling in describing them.

That comment is just silly. One thing is standard party politics, the other RACISM.

"Thailand's truly inferior culture" ? I agree with every other point that you made but I certainly don't believe the culture is inferior, far from it. I do believe however the culture has long ago been hijacked by these self serving a--holes. Anyone pinpoint when the rot truly set in ? Certainly pre Thaksin.

I would put it as far back as the 40's (as in 1940's!!!)

There's always nasty name calling or labeling BUT NOT blatantly in public (with the exception of idiots the like of Bush, et al....). No, Suthep is an under-educated idiot who should not be in that position of power.

Thaksin used to say: "UN is not my father".

yea but he meant 'Uncle' (Un is Thai shortening) so 'Uncle is not my Father' pretty reasonable actually

Quite the dishonest apologist that attempts to hide the reality of a Drug War gaff :

"UN is not my father" -- in a reply to a reporter when asked to comment on the Human Rights Office of the UN going to send officers to observe the implementation of the Thai Anti-drug scheme. [March 2003]

Thaksin Shinawatra wikiquotes

yea but he meant 'Uncle' (Un is Thai shortening) so 'Uncle is not my Father' pretty reasonable actually

Quite the dishonest apologist that attempts to hide the reality of a Drug War gaff :

"UN is not my father" -- in a reply to a reporter when asked to comment on the Human Rights Office of the UN going to send officers to observe the implementation of the Thai Anti-drug scheme. [March 2003]

Twas only a Sunday morning jest rolleyes.gif

"I don't respect 'farangs'.
Unfortunate and coarse comment. Hope it's bad translation. :ermm:

No need to translate farang! It's a Thai word.

The possibly insulting part was 'respect' which we have no idea what the actual word used was.

I was holding out hope that he meant one thing, and another was reported. But if an American politician said this about Thai people here - they would be censured at least.

ah ok... 2,500 massacred. Hilarious stuff to jest about.

ah ok... 2,500 massacred. Hilarious stuff to jest about.

I wasn't joking about the drugs war - please don't be so dumb? I was joking about the UN meaning Uncle not United Nations - get a humour! bah.gif

Incorrect.

Nice post. :whistling: Care to elaborate?

You said; "To become a citizen of another country you most certainly do need to give up your citizenship in your former country."

This may be true of the USA but it isn't true of other countries. UK citizens can hold dual citizenship and citizens of other countries can hold UK citizenship too. In fact I have quite a few Thai friends who have both Thai and British passports so your contention is incorrect. As far as western Thai citizens are concerned there are two who are members of Thaivisa.

Touche` ........... I doff my chapeau my good man................ correction taken

I agree with the deputy PM's assessment as well. Western NGOs and their members are often as crooked as they come and fronts for intelligence agencies.

This isn't about western NGOs. Why would you think that western NGOs would be involved? ASEAN has an election monitoring capability. The last ASEAN country to refuse monitors was Myanmar/Burma. Thailan by the way would have provided monitors had Myanmar/Burma agreed. The principal election monitoring groups involve the electoral commissions of other countries. Their conduct and integrity when acting as election monitors has never been questioned.

]

Again, more false allegations about Mr. Thaksin, We all know that you have an obsession with the deposed elected PM Thaksin. In this case, you have twisted the event out of context. There was never any intent to send officers. It never happened. This is your invention. It was Prime Minister Thaksin that requested a special envoy from the UN Human Rights Council. His comment was in the context that he had nothing to be afraid of since he was confident his government had behaved appropriately. This has been demonstrated by the successive investigations that showed no criminal wrongdoing on the part of the government at the time. The fact is that the military junta was doing everything possible to destroy Mr. Thaksin and yet try as it could, it found no Thaksin wrongdoing when it held its thorough inquiry. There were mistakes at the local level and that was due to the police and military commanders in their respective positions, not Mr. Thaksin.

I am not going to get into an argument about the attempt by Thaksin to prevent narco terrorists and organized drug criminals from taking over Thailand as the issue has been discussed in other threads. I will however point you to the fact that Mr. Thaksin was acting with the support of the nation and the King when the government tried to defend the nation against the poisoning of Thailand by Burmese drug lords. The issue here is the presence of election monitors. Did Mr. Thaksin ever block election monitors? Did he ever make a statement similar to the current DPM? I don't think so.

Excuse me for coming very late into this discussion.

I am not about to plough through 17 pages to see if my point has already been made, so I will just make it and retreat to the hills…

Suthep Thaugsuban almost single handily brought down the Democrat-led government of the mid 90’s by a corrupt act.

Suthep was Agricultutre Minister and gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai of the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate.

Then, more recently, in 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by the Constitutional Court to disqualify Suthep from having allegedly violated the charter. Suthep then resigned from Parliament. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister.

The mind boggles as to why a person with such an unsavoury background would be appointed and retained as Deputy PM by the so-called ‘Mr Clean’, PM Abhisit.

The assumption is that Suthep still wields enormous influence and power.

The above is a mere snippet of how these politicians, (of all parties), operate and how so many of them are known to be corrupt and have disreputable past histories that would disqualify them from public office in any properly functioning democracy.

It is hardly surprising that a corrupt, self-seeking creep like Suthep would make such ‘throw away’ remarks as ‘I don’t respect farangs’…. Of course he doesn’t respect farangs – the only things he respects are money, power and corruption. Much the same as his erstwhile foe, the estimable Mr. Thaksin.