Thailand Rejects Foreign Election Monitors

webfact

Thailand rejects foreign election monitors

thaug.afp.jpg

Suthep: "I don't respect 'farangs'. We

do not have to surrender to them"

BANGKOK, March 24, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand on Thursday dismissed suggestions that foreign observers were needed to monitor its upcoming election, with the deputy prime minister saying he does "not respect" Westerners.

It would be "inappropriate" to allow outside involvement in the poll, which is due in June or July and comes after deadly street protests last year, said Suthep Thaugsuban.

"I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them," he said, using the Thai word for "Westerners".

Anti-government "Red Shirts" have recently called for international observers to be present.

"I am surprised that Red Shirts do not respect our country's sovereignty... I don't understand why they constantly call for foreign involvement, it is inappropriate," Suthep told reporters.

Thailand has never officially allowed monitors to operate in polling stations during its elections, but the Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) has been allowed to work in the country during the last two votes.

"It is true they do not allow the monitors to enter (polling stations) but we observe from outside, it's quite easy," said executive director Somsri Hananuntasuk.

She said she was "surprised" at Suthep's comments, adding that other members of the ruling Democrat party, including Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva "welcomes international observers".

Thailand is struggling to recover from mass Bangkok rallies by the Reds, in which more than 90 people died in clashes between troops and protesters in April and May last year. It was the worst political violence in decades.

The kingdom has suffered years of political instability, punctuated by unrest and military intervention, seeing 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932 when the country became a constitutional monarchy.

Commentators believe the upcoming poll is likely to highlight the country's divisions.

The elected prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a hero to many in the Red Shirt movement, was ousted in a coup in 2006, sparking ongoing political turmoil.

Abhisit's government is seen as undemocratic by the Reds as it came to power in an army-backed 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ruling threw out the previous administration, made up of Thaksin allies who had won an election.

Thailand, known as the "Land of Smiles", is usually regarded as friendly to foreigners.

According to Abhisit the kingdom received 15.8 million overseas tourists last year and the sector generated 585 billion baht ($19 billion), or 7 percent of economic output.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-24

• Like 1

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suthep's comments might seem a bit harsh and inappropriate (they are!), but if you ask any Thai - who isn't an ardent red shirt - how they feel about foreign election monitors, you'll probably get a similar response!

Reading some of my young Thai niece's schoolbooks it's no wonder they end up which such a twisted xenophobic view of reality. Taught (indoctrinated) from a very young age how special the Thai people are compared to everyone else. :(

Such a pity that such a beautiful country has such a high % of simpleminded fools populating it.

• Like 2

monitors don't have to be "the westerners", they might be from asean or from any other country in the world.

as suthep does not respect westerners, than equally the westerners should not respect this corrupt and ignorant military put government.

decline all proposal for observers - the right step to stay put in an authoritarian form of government thailand always was.

anyway, general elections are sham and show for the poor, if there is no an alternative political force to the present socio-economic system

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 1

Suthep's comments might seem a bit harsh and inappropriate (they are!), but if you ask any Thai - who isn't an ardent red shirt - how they feel about foreign election monitors, you'll probably get a similar response!

From various discussions with pretty well educated Thais about condominium investment and purchasing many said they were happy for other Thais (rich) to take advantage of them and accepted it as the way Thailand is, but were indignant about foreigners doing it as wrong and immoral. :blink:

You can only laugh...

or complain on internet forums. :D

• Like 1

I read it as, he said that he didn't respect westerners. Period. Suppose it could be the interpretation?

jb1

From various discussions with pretty well educated Thais about condominium investment and purchasing many said they were happy for other Thais (rich) to take advantage of them and accepted it as the way Thailand is, but were indignant about foreigners doing it as wrong and immoral. :blink:

You can only laugh...

Geez my Thai wife owns three properties in Melbourne Australia and that includes the land.

I read it as, he said that he didn't respect westerners. Period. Suppose it could be the interpretation?

jb1

Could be quoted out of context, but given this is Suthep speaking - could well be!

• Like 1

The past 4 elections have been monitored by Asia Network for Free Election (ANFREL) in conjunction with the Poll Watch Foundation and the People’s Network for Elections in Thailand (P-NET).

The Election Commission of Thailand has fully supported this monitoring.

What Thailand has not allowed is western NGO's to monitor the elections.

TH

Edited by thaihome

The past 4 elections have been monitored by Asia Network for Free Election (ANFREL) in conjunction with the Poll Watch Foundation and the People’s Network for Elections in Thailand (P-NET).

The Election Commission of Thailand has fully supported this monitoring.

What Thailand has not allowed is western NGO's to monitor the elections.

TH

I actually have some sympathy for the Thais position on this.Best stick with reputable regional organisations and local NGOS

ANFREL is indeed an excellent organisation and its report on the 2006 election is well worth reading.

The run up to the election is what they should be concerned with first. Then monitor the voting place. Let the people police themselves . The Thai voter as do other countries voters deserve what they legally vote into office. When, not if, unlawful acts are alleged/proven, disqualify every candidate of that party in the Province. Then press charges against those involved.

How much are votes anyway, 500b last time round wasn't it?

Edit:

Interesting:

In Thailand, 30 percent of all household heads surveyed in a national sample said that they were offered money during the 1996 general election.

In Thailand, the average offer per household in the 1996 general election was 678 baht (US$27), though Bangkok residents were likely to be given twice as much as rural dwellers.

The Nakhon Rathchasima Rajabhat Institute, which monitors poll fraud in Thailand, estimates that candidates give a total of 20 billion baht (US$460 million) to voters in the 2001 legislative elections.

http://www.transparency-thailand.org/english/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=40

Edited by appropriate

Foolish Old Goat - does he not realise that with Election monitors there is less of a likelihood that the Reds will get away with large scale vote-buying which has (allegedly) happened in the past? This would give his party a much better chance of getting voted back in...

... unless of course, the Dems are planning on chucking around a few mill in vote buying ;)

You can only laugh...

Geez my Thai wife owns three properties in Melbourne Australia and that includes the land.

Wow that is amazing. My dog is half Chinese.

If this is a direct quote, it was poorly structured. I doubt he actually meant 'I do not respect Westerners'. Read in context, I understand what he (hopefully) means, and I would expect most people on here would feel the same way if it was their country.

For example, if it was David Cameron that said 'I do not respect the use of Asian election monitoring organizations as I believe that it would imply that we are unable to democratically monitor our own country's election'. Then I am pretty sure most people would understand.

You see this Thailand's great sadness (and weakness) they just are so arrogant. They firmly believe they do it 'best' and don't need assistance - and, of course, are frightened what a truly free and fair election - monitored - would reveal. If there is nothing to hide - what's the problem?

You can only laugh...

Wow that is amazing. My dog is half Chinese.

If this is a direct quote, it was poorly structured. I doubt he actually meant 'I do not respect Westerners'. Read in context, I understand what he (hopefully) means, and I would expect most people on here would feel the same way if it was their country.

For example, if it was David Cameron that said 'I do not respect the use of Asian election monitoring organizations as I believe that it would imply that we are unable to democratically monitor our own country's election'. Then I am pretty sure most people would understand.

of course he means that - he's the Great Suthept! and as for the quote about Cameron it's comparing a honed democracy over 100s of years with one which is riddled with coups and corruption - it's laughable. Bit like comparing Thailand's driving skills with Europe or America and saying 'but they are the same'!

"I don't respect 'farangs'. We

do not have to surrender to them"

the Great Suthet speaks! Abisit would be so much better off without this loose canon ball - what a diplomat! maybe a candidate for the UN Chair?

PS he forget's his boss is an British Passport Holder and his education was in the place 'he doesn't respect'

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

The run up to the election is what they should be concerned with first. Then monitor the voting place. Let the people police themselves . The Thai voter as do other countries voters deserve what they legally vote into office. When, not if, unlawful acts are alleged/proven, disqualify every candidate of that party in the Province. Then press charges against those involved.

Sorry let me rephrase that.

Do not allow foreign independent witnesses in the first place.

1) Monitor the whole process yourself so that you can see if any voting deviates from that with which you wish.

2) Whatever the end result people deserve it (unless it doesnt happen to be the end result that we want in which case we will change it.)

3) If individual results are not to our liking we will disqualify the candidate and anyone who is connected to him from the election.

4) We will then charge them (maybe) and lock them up.

5) P.S. if you think you are going to vote in Thaksin again, you must be joking.... you have tried that at least twice and we have made it clear that it is unacceptable. So please stop.

Sorry let me rephrase that.

Do not allow foreign independent witnesses in the first place.

1) Monitor the whole process yourself so that you can see if any voting deviates from that with which you wish.

2) Whatever the end result people deserve it (unless it doesnt happen to be the end result that we want in which case we will change it.)

3) If individual results are not to our liking we will disqualify the candidate and anyone who is connected to him from the election.

4) We will then charge them (maybe) and lock them up.

5) P.S. if you think you are going to vote in Thaksin again, you must be joking.... you have tried that at least twice and we have made it clear that it is unacceptable. So please stop.

spot on!

'International' monitors would be completely useless as none of them would speak Thai or have the slightest clue what is going on. You'd have the situation like during last years riots, where people are saying in English we are peaceful and democratic and in Thai to prepare to burn down the city. And if their violence and intimidation campaign is successful they would whitewash their crimes by pointing to the clueless, ineffectual foreigners who neither saw nor heard what happened.

The 'don't respect farang' comment is out of line if that was what was said

"I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them," he said, using the Thai word for "Westerners".

Well who respects Thai politicians...how does 'criminal syndicate' translate in Thai? :whistling:

Edited by Crushdepth

"Don't respect farangs."

I hope these elections are the biggest farce in the history of "democracy," and they elect a plate of papaya salad to be PM.

Though then it would have more brains than Sutep - who is apparently in a full "I'm more dumber than you" battle with the Peua Thai.

'International' monitors would be completely useless as none of them would speak Thai or have the slightest clue what is going on. You'd have the situation like during last years riots, where people are saying in English we are peaceful and democratic and in Thai to prepare to burn down the city. And if their violence and intimidation campaign is successful they would whitewash their crimes by pointing to the clueless, ineffectual foreigners who neither saw nor heard what happened.

The 'don't respect farang' comment is out of line if that was what was said

No different than the head of the army not wanting the Indonesian observer in the disputed area, like trying to scare and murder the press in April?May last year. They just dont want the outside world knowing what sh1t they are up to. Somebody must tell Mr Suthep...its too late because a lot of farangs know exactly whats happening in this 'Myanmar with paint'. Maybe thats why he detests us because we come on forums like this and tell him what a fool he really looks, to the outside world