Lao Girl Cut In Half By Fleeing Stolen Porsche: Thai Police

webfact

I'd have a small wager that judging by his mug shot, that he's closer to 16 (or below) than 19 as reported earlier. Let's see!

That's not his 'mug shot', that's his picture from his Thai ID card which he got when he WAS 15... like most Thai kids are legally bound to do.

Bam!

Another conspiracy theory shot all to buggery!

Pow!

Another lost wager!

Bonus!

Mate i have been trying to follow this tragic story with an open mind but i must say the thing that comes to the forefront of this sad event on TV is your hell bent protection of any adverse comment towards a self admitted crimal (Re: the driver and his admission of speeding)

This forum is by definition a place whereby people comment on different events and ideas, i just wonder with the voracity in your attacks, do you know or work for this family?, because looking at your prejudiced posts it definitley gives reason to come up with this assumption.

(Just my honest opinion, if im allowed to have one)

Regards Palusa

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does. But that is the legal requirement in Thailand to over-write any COPY of an official ID, passport, etc. with the reason why it is being copied. Did you know that you are supposed to over-write any scan of your passport taken by a hotel check-in with the reason why it was copied? No? Better start then.

Wouldn't this be the legal responsibility of the person making the copy, i.e. the hotel clerk? Especially as not a single tourist in a million would know of his alleged duty!

Imagine the scene:

Somchai: please write on this scan of your passport why I copied it!

Tourist: What?

Somchai: I just copied your passport, and if you don't write on it why I did it you are committing an offence!

Tourist: are you serious?

Somchai: Yes! Just ask NanLaew!

Tourist: who's NanLaew?

Somchai: He is the ONLY farang in Thailand who knows of this law!

:D

I wish people would start going on with in Australia this and In the UK that. Guess what guys we are in Thailand. Yes the law here is far from ideal but it's where we are so deal with it people.

WE know that but we are having a chat here eh. :)

This is a typical case that is being protected by the corrupt officials. This is also one of the worst reported stories by the thai media, leaving me with more questions than answers.

Such as: why are have there not been witness statements other then from the what the driver stated?

I would like to know how fast others think the car driving just prior to the accident? I have driven many Porsche's, and 120kph feels like "walking speed" in one. I thinks he was going more like 160kph.

Does he have a drivers license?

How was he alowed out on bail after not appearing to the police station on Saterday as agreed? This was reported in one of main thai newspapers, not sure if name of paper is allowed here.

Why was the father not arrested for making a false police statement about the car being stolen?

The only wintness statement reported in this accendent by the press was the description of the driver leaving the car. I find it impossible to believe in that area at that time of day there were no witnesses before, during or just after the accident.

I don't blame the victim for this. When cars travel at high speeds "they seem to come out of nowhere".

The other thing that gets people angry is the attitude of the owners. Rather than utter sympathetic cries to the mother of the victim, these parents are probably running around trying to find ways to make sure that their little lad continues his studies at Rangsit University unhindered by inconvenient jail time. A little humility and remorse might be appropriate. They should be forced to pay at least 1 million compensation.

Over to you. :whistling:

This is the real problem. The lack of any true feeling of responsibility. I might be inclined to be less enraged and more sympathetic to the rich teenage would be formula 1 drivers if I thought any of them actually considered that they are responsible for destroying a life equivalent to their own.

If I hit someone, peasant or elite or anywhere in between, it wouldn't matter. I would feel exactly the same. I don't believe these drivers have that same value system, and they say and do nothing to convince me that I am wrong. This is a fundamental cultural problem with Thailand, and one that I believe the Western influence can change for the better. In the mean time, we have to accept that there are significant negatives as well as significant positives to living here, and not get discouraged when these tragedies occur. I will continue trying to set an example for Thais through my actions, and hopefully, if enough of us do this, the value of what we demonstrate will start to make an impact and change the culture for the better.

Be that as it may, for today, 1 million baht for a wealthy family isn't nearly enough. Whatever the punishment is, it needs to hurt. That is the only thing that will be respected in the here and now. There needs to be jail time and a serious cash outlay from the family equivalent to a reasonable percentage of their entire net worth.

Police issue arrest warrant for Porsche driver murderer

<snip>

a witness confirmed that the tall, long hair murderer called a cab and fled the area on Friday. The investigation team had gathered finger prints on the steering wheel and other evidence which indicated 58 year-old Supachai Taksintwesurb as the main suspect.

<snip>

d0d1a64a.jpg

Tall, long haired? Have they got the right bloke?

Mate i have been trying to follow this tragic story with an open mind but i must say the thing that comes to the forefront of this sad event on TV is your hell bent protection of any adverse comment towards a self admitted crimal (Re: the driver and his admission of speeding)

This forum is by definition a place whereby people comment on different events and ideas, i just wonder with the voracity in your attacks, do you know or work for this family?, because looking at your prejudiced posts it definitley gives reason to come up with this assumption.

(Just my honest opinion, if im allowed to have one)

Regards Palusa

Did you miss post #442? Read all the others from page 1 yet?

Voracity of attacks?

It's called culling the inane.

Considered yourself culled.

PS. proof read what you type b4 u post

"...hell bent protection of any adverse comment towards a self admitted crimal..."

sheesh

Edited by NanLaew

<snip>

a witness confirmed that the tall, long hair murderer called a cab and fled the area on Friday. The investigation team had gathered finger prints on the steering wheel and other evidence which indicated 58 year-old Supachai Taksintwesurb as the main suspect.

<snip>

d0d1a64a.jpg

Hmmmmmm, this is NOT the driver of the motor going by witness statements. Something is afoot here. ;)

Wouldn't this be the legal responsibility of the person making the copy, i.e. the hotel clerk? Especially as not a single tourist in a million would know of his alleged duty!

Imagine the scene:

Somchai: please write on this scan of your passport why I copied it!

Tourist: What?

Somchai: I just copied your passport, and if you don't write on it why I did it you are committing an offence!

Tourist: are you serious?

Somchai: Yes! Just ask NanLaew!

Tourist: who's NanLaew?

Somchai: He is the ONLY farang in Thailand who knows of this law!

:D

Glad to see you took your time to whip up a response. Quite witty too.

But you are correct. It is the responsibility of the person surrendering the copy of their ID to sign off on the notation. Whoever writes the notation is neither here nor there and certainly not the usual remit of the hotel desk clerk. The police know that they could get into all sorts of serious mischief for illegally holding or using an unsigned copy so they automatically do the red over-writing.... probably they had our young Mr. 'I have the keys to daddy's penis extension' sign it somewhere too but that wasn't needed for the 'mug shot' as published is it?

So yes, it's a legal requirement in Thailand.... just like wearing a crash helmet on your bike, or always carrying your state-issued photo ID with you (that's your passport since you aren't a local).

Actually, I first learned of this law several years ago through the veritable pages of this very forum! So, it MUST be the the law!

Edited by NanLaew

I wish people would start going on with in Australia this and In the UK that. Guess what guys we are in Thailand. Yes the law here is far from ideal but it's where we are so deal with it people.

Good point.

(pity you used stop instead of start... but we get your drift)

<snip>

<snip>

d0d1a64a.jpg

Hmmmmmm, this is NOT the driver of the motor going by witness statements. Something is afoot here. ;)

Who says?

Do you know that the 'eye witness' is the most despised sort of witness by most defence attorneys due to TOTAL unreliability? If his defence rests solely on eye-witness testimony, he will probably go for a plea bargain.

There's someone else on this thread keeps carping on about how someone on the telly said that there was another passenger in the car and he wants the TRUTH NOW (his emphasis). Maybe the 'eye witnesses' missed that, maybe they didn't. Maybe it was the drivers sister after all and daddy was in Honkers with his gik instead?

The possibilities here are truly as endless as the fervent desire for peace, justice and equal rights in Thailand that some of you want.

This story is very sad all the way around. A young girl's life has been cut drastically short and a family is left to grieve. A young man will most likely live with the guilt and pain of the misery he has caused and most likely some legal and financial pain as well.

&lt;deleted&gt;! The young man will have little, if any, long term guilt as the deceased was someone from a far lower station in life, a Lao. The Bangkok elite sees folks such as Lao, Isaan, Burmese, or highland minorities as being a lesser form of life (many see Caucasians in the same way, you bloody gwailo too blind to see the obvious). The financial pain will be minimal. The only pain will be the funds for reimbursing the family of the deceased and the repair of the car, two expenses that will be equated in the minds of the family, will be spent in Thailand and not sent to offshore banks.

This story is very sad all the way around. A young girl's life has been cut drastically short and a family is left to grieve. A young man will most likely live with the guilt and pain of the misery he has caused and most likely some legal and financial pain as well.

&lt;deleted&gt;! The young man will have little, if any, long term guilt as the deceased was someone from a far lower station in life, a Lao. The Bangkok elite sees folks such as Lao, Isaan, Burmese, or highland minorities as being a lesser form of life (many see Caucasians in the same way, you bloody gwailo too blind to see the obvious). The financial pain will be minimal. The only pain will be the funds for reimbursing the family of the deceased and the repair of the car, two expenses that will be equated in the minds of the family, will be spent in Thailand and not sent to offshore banks.

I wondered how long it would take one of the 'bitter & twisted' to tear Credo a new arsehol_e.

Feel better now do we?

gwailo....? Been years since I was called that... in China.

Sadly JP, you are certainly correct.

This is the real problem. The lack of any true feeling of responsibility. I might be inclined to be less enraged and more sympathetic to the rich teenage would be formula 1 drivers if I thought any of them actually considered that they are responsible for destroying a life equivalent to their own.

Rubbish. You will always be peeved because they have more money than you.

If I hit someone, peasant or elite or anywhere in between, it wouldn't matter. I would feel exactly the same. I don't believe these drivers have that same value system, and they say and do nothing to convince me that I am wrong. This is a fundamental cultural problem with Thailand, and one that I believe the Western influence can change for the better. In the mean time, we have to accept that there are significant negatives as well as significant positives to living here, and not get discouraged when these tragedies occur. I will continue trying to set an example for Thais through my actions, and hopefully, if enough of us do this, the value of what we demonstrate will start to make an impact and change the culture for the better.

If you hit AND KILLED someone here in Thailand and were given the option of a few years in jail or a TOTALLY, MUTUALLY ACCEPTABLE cash disbursement to the family (and a cut to the police), what would you honestly do?

Be that as it may, for today, 1 million baht for a wealthy family isn't nearly enough. Whatever the punishment is, it needs to hurt. That is the only thing that will be respected in the here and now. There needs to be jail time and a serious cash outlay from the family equivalent to a reasonable percentage of their entire net worth.

Very noble! Let's collectively work in earnest to turn LOS into just another nation of ambulance-chasing lawyers. The victim's family is liable to some nebulous percentage of the perpetrators family's net worth? &lt;deleted&gt;? You are probably a divorce lawyers wet dream!

You really don't have a clue do you? Even the people that have perpetrated some pretty bad things on a NATION usually get a regal pardon, a notional ban or some other 'get out of jail' card. Some pretty evil foreigners who get legitimately banged up for drug offenses usually get pardoned and allowed to go home. You want that to change to the western debacle of overcrowded prisons or years of cases tied up in appeals at taxpayers expense?

Edited by NanLaew

I wondered how long it would take one of the 'bitter & twisted' to tear Credo a new arsehol_e.

Feel better now do we?

I am neither bitter nor twisted, at least not twisted in the manner that you are implying. I did not tear any new orifice into the quoted poster although we do disagree. Nor do I need to resort to the weakness of ad hominem attacks to bolster my opinions and observations based upon my experiences.

Feel better now do we?

I am neither bitter nor twisted, at least not twisted in the manner that you are implying. I did not tear any new orifice into the quoted poster although we do disagree. Nor do I need to resort to the weakness of ad hominem attacks to bolster my opinions and observations based upon my experiences.

OK. I will pull my head in.

(unless it's a total wally of course)

Edited by NanLaew

Feel better now do we?

OK. I will pull my head in.

(unless it's a total wally of course)

On that note, please calm down.

Thanks.

<snip>

<snip>

d0d1a64a.jpg

Who says?

Do you know that the 'eye witness' is the most despised sort of witness by most defence attorneys due to TOTAL unreliability? If his defence rests solely on eye-witness testimony, he will probably go for a plea bargain.

There's someone else on this thread keeps carping on about how someone on the telly said that there was another passenger in the car and he wants the TRUTH NOW (his emphasis). Maybe the 'eye witnesses' missed that, maybe they didn't. Maybe it was the drivers sister after all and daddy was in Honkers with his gik instead?

The possibilities here are truly as endless as the fervent desire for peace, justice and equal rights in Thailand that some of you want.

I agree that witnesses credibility can be taken into question but I think you missed this one.

The investigation team had gathered finger prints on the steering wheel and other evidence which indicated 58 year-old Supachai Taksintwesurb as the main suspect.

These guys credibility is is normally ok,and that puke doesn't look like he's 58 years old.<BR sab="1598">

Yes it does. But that is the legal requirement in Thailand to over-write any COPY of an official ID, passport, etc. with the reason why it is being copied. Did you know that you are supposed to over-write any scan of your passport taken by a hotel check-in with the reason why it was copied? No? Better start then.

Please explain how to fulfill this legal requirement when the hotel clerck takes an illegal scan of your credit card.:whistling:

<snip>

<snip>

d0d1a64a.jpg

When you look at thepicture you will see that it is very clear except from the hands.They must have gonne up with a speed higher than the camera's reaction speed then. :bah:

well even when they repair the car,no Thai is ever going to drive that car again,not with a pee in it,and i hope whoever was driving it is hunted for the rest of there days!

I agree that witnesses credibility can be taken into question but I think you missed this one.

The investigation team had gathered finger prints on the steering wheel and other evidence which indicated 58 year-old Supachai Taksintwesurb as the main suspect.

These guys credibility is is normally ok,and that puke doesn't look like he's 58 years old.<BR sab="1598">

It's not witness credibility exactly. It's the lamentable unreliability of EYE-witness testimony. At best, it can be surprisingly inaccurate and a total invention at worst.

Yes. But now you are relying on the credibility of the Thai media reporting and the accuracy of the translation.

Since dad had also driven the car (assumption), the fact that his fingerprints were NOT all over the steering wheel would have been more remarkable.

But you do see the value of Thailand's national database of dabs (taken when Thai people get their ID cards). The police were fast to ID someone who had actually driven the car. Having said that, they should have gotten the actual drivers tabs fingerprints as well. Maybe he was wearing his Lewis Hamilton driving gloves (assumption). But, in this case, I reckon sh!t reporting and translation prevails.

There's something to be said for a national database of dabs. No more pondering the ID's of dodgy drivers, dismembered corpses or tsunami victims, etc..

Please explain how to fulfill this legal requirement when the hotel clerck takes an illegal scan of your credit card.:whistling:

Taking a scan of your plastic isn't a legal issue; it's not an ID card. However, the credit card company doesn't like it (but I won't tell them if you won't).

Whenever a business, be it a hotel, car rental agency or the police, takes a scan of your passport or other photo ID, simply draw 2 red lines obliquely across it and write "Taken at [insert location] for purposes of [insert reason]. Then sign and date it.

Edited by NanLaew

Rubbish. You will always be peeved because they have more money than you.

Not true at all. I will be peeved because in my opinion they do not have adequate respect for other people. It is not impossible to be wealthy and still have a conscience. In this case (and there are very few cases where I would say this), I believe the Thai culture is inferior to that of the West. You may feel jealous of the extremely wealthy, and that could be coloring your judgement.

If you hit AND KILLED someone here in Thailand and were given the option of a few years in jail or a TOTALLY, MUTUALLY ACCEPTABLE cash disbursement to the family (and a cut to the police), what would you honestly do?

If the option was made available to me, I would do whatever was in my best interest. I am as human as the next guy. My point is that this option should not be made available to the party who was responsible for the murder. In any case, my feelings of responsibility would not be based on the class of the person I hit, and that is distinctly different from the way some Thais perceive the situation. That is an area I think that we, as ambassadors of our homelands, can work to help correct.

Very noble! Let's collectively work in earnest to turn LOS into just another nation of ambulance-chasing lawyers. The victim's family is liable to some nebulous percentage of the perpetrators family's net worth? &lt;deleted&gt;? You are probably a divorce lawyers wet dream!

That isn't necessary at all. The payment, above a certain amount, does not have to go to the victim. It could be given to a fund set up to educate drivers, or help the disadvantaged. The ambulance chasers only arise in the US because they get a 30% cut of the proceeds. Remove this incentive, and the slimy lawyers crawl back into the hole from where they came.

You really don't have a clue do you? Even the people that have perpetrated some pretty bad things on a NATION usually get a regal pardon, a notional ban or some other 'get out of jail' card. Some pretty evil foreigners who get legitimately banged up for drug offenses usually get pardoned and allowed to go home. You want that to change to the western debacle of overcrowded prisons or years of cases tied up in appeals at taxpayers expense?

I have more than a clue. I understand completely what I am suggesting. The simple fact is that if Thais felt more responsibility towards those around them, then this kind of tragedy would happen less often. It wouldn't go away, but it would likely diminish. I have a family here. I want to protect them. I do not have any idealogical biases which prevent me from seeing that the pendulum in Thailand is too far to the side of anarchy, in the same way that it has swung too far towards the nanny state in the West.

"Since dad had also driven the car (assumption), the fact that his fingerprints were NOT all over the steering wheel would have been more remarkable."

Nanleaw.. maybe they got prints / dna from the airbag??? ever thought of that before you ran ya mouth off?

Edited by thaicbr

<br />Good points, Newermonkey, this is a common event and most of us made mistakes when we were just starting out driving. A boy was knocked down and killed stepping in front of a bus in the sleepy countryside where I grew up, it really can happen anywhere and causes mental health problems for the driver.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sure, accidents happen but I never chopped anyone in half with my daddy's porsche and then made a half-assed apology in front of the media about it.

Class envy writ large. We would not be getting half this level of comments had it been an electrician in a Hilux pick-up.