Lao Girl Cut In Half By Fleeing Stolen Porsche: Thai Police

webfact

This is getting a huge amount of attention.. why ? because the guy was driving a Porsche - So it becomes a rich versus poor debate.

IF we are to remove the Porsche and replace it with a Honda Jazz, what I then see is a tragedy where a girl makes a poor decision crossing the road when she did - RIP.

Just this past week on 3 separate occasions I have come very close to hitting a pedestrian and 2 motorbikes. It wouldn't have been my fault, I was not driving too fast or recklessly - We both were lucky. Skill and experience didn't prevent an accident, luck did. When someone walks out into a road a mere couple of meters in front of me and I'm doing 50-80kph, breaking wont help. The fact that for some reason there is a blind-spot in their vision or didn't stop and look is not my fault and I can't drive around everywhere at 10kph. However, the likely outcome would be serious injury and possibly death and I may very well be charged with reckless driving and possibly the subject of emotionally charged media attention and hung drawn and quartered on Thai Visa.com ... "Farang Mows Down young Thai Girl"

I think it's highly unfair when someone else makes a very poor decision that can impact me both psychologically and legally. The consequences of poor choice occur all around us, most of us area simply lucky they don't impact us as much as they could.

You wouldn't have been hung drawn and quartered on TV. And this is the hypocrisy of many members who would have some how have turned it to a 'we farang's don't have no rights her in Thailand'.

I bet many of the people who are making vitroilic comments about this are happy to be able to pay off the coppers 200baht for traffic infringements, they themselves do not particularly adhere to speed limits and consider themselves 'safe drivers' when they do speed cause for some magic reason their overseas license means they are 'better trained'.

Edited by samran

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooner or later the masses are going to catch one of these young Hiso's before the police get there to protect them.

I look forward to that day.

Stop trying to change this into a class war thing.

If we were going to be fair then who is going to catch up with the moron pickup, taxi, bus and van drivers?

Any news of the passenger, who?? male /female-witness??? everyone is talking about torso's.. and HI SO's... Tollway repeat, we seem to have no-one able to get any more info on the other person. Is the reason that the police are blocking the info at the minute or WHAT ???? Lack of further reports/updates to Thai Forum.

on weekends 20 - 30 deaths from accidents in Bangkok alone. When the weekend falls on a full-moon or new-moon the death toll reaches up to 40 a day.

it maybe correct cos more than 10 M.P. live in BKK

but how did you get this info. then?

Sooner or later the masses are going to catch one of these young Hiso's before the police get there to protect them.

If we were going to be fair then who is going to catch up with the moron pickup, taxi, bus and van drivers?

It is not the Hi SO thing at all really-it's the under the carpet monies that goes on that causes the aggro, The ordinary Thai something like a balance is concocted, These big wig incidents get the headlines as the news people know what will happen when its put to expats and the like.

It is not the Hi SO thing at all really-it's the under the carpet monies that goes on that causes the aggro, The ordinary Thai something like a balance is concocted, These big wig incidents get the headlines as the news people know what will happen when its put to expats and the like.

I have no idea what you just wrote.

on weekends 20 - 30 deaths from accidents in Bangkok alone. When the weekend falls on a full-moon or new-moon the death toll reaches up to 40 a day.

Yeah, and Songkran is coming up in two weeks' time. I wonder if each individual accident will receive the same undivided attention as this incident; more likely it'll all be lumped under "Songkran death toll statistics" even if the deaths are just as gruesome.

Unless it happens to involve an exotic car...

it maybe correct cos more than 10 M.P. live in BKK

but how did you get this info. then?

This was from a documentation I think 2 years ago. A foreign team spent 2 days(not sure about the time though) with the rescue service, the bigger one on Rama IV. They gathered shocking info.

Try taking a bit more water with it then--Whats with you--NO Idea is about right. TRYING to be be a funny guy are you ??

Try taking a bit more water with it then--Whats with you--NO Idea is about right. TRYING to be be a funny guy are you ??

As my wife will attest - I'd make a lousy stand up comic.

Let me re-phrase it then: Could you re-phrase your last comment. I did not sufficiently comprehend your point. (I know this might pain you but I am half Thai and according to the good scribes of TV I and many of my colleagues are brainwashed - and by your implication, brain dead - rote learners who question nothing. So I am going against the grain here and - da dum - trying to figure out exactly what it is you were actually intending to say with your last reply).

Edited by samran

As my wife will attest - I'd make a lousy stand up comic.

Let me re-phrase it then: Could you re-phrase your last comment. I did not sufficiently comprehend your point. (I know this might pain you but I am half Thai and according to the good scribes of TV I and many of my colleagues are brainwashed - and by your implication, brain dead - rote learners who question nothing. So I am going against the grain here and - da dum - trying to figure out exactly what it is you were actually intending to say with your last reply).

I'm 100% English, read his post twice and still couldn't understand it.

Try again please, ginjag.

You obviously misjudge your English writing abilities, as I have no idea what you were trying to say either. This is fine if English is not your native language and we all try to be understanding about this, but do NOT get angry when we can't understand you. It's not our fault.

Fatal hit-and-run accused surrenders

By The Nation

30151913-01.jpg

A Rangsit University student who allegedly killed a young woman in a road incident last Friday, surrendered to police yesterday before being charged with manslaughter and hitandrun, and finally released on bail.

The suspect, who cannot be identified because he is 19 years of age, apologised for hitting and killing 17yearold Khambai Inthilad, a Laotian, before driving a further 10 kilometres and fleeing from the car in panic.

"I was shocked, and did not know what to do.I did not intend to escape," he told reporters. In his initial statement to police, the suspect said the victim abruptly stepped out from a blind spot in front of a parked bus, and he was driving at 120 kph.

The unnamed suspect showed up at Muang Pathum Thani police station wearing a hat and a mask to protect his identity. He was taken to police by his father and a relative, Jaran Thatsiriworrawat, who said the family was sorry for what happened and was ready to be held responsible.

The victim legally entered and resided in Thailand, and is eligible for compensatory payment, as a Thai victim would be under the same conditions, police said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-28

Either excellent police work or his family has a conscience and decided that to prolong this tragedy any longer would only do more damage.<snip>

Neither I'm afraid. They simply knew that the game was up - too much evidence, too much publicity, nowhere to hide except fleeing the country and facing permanent ridicule.

This story is getting a lot of attention because someone was cut in half.

Without that part of the story, this would never have made it to Thai Visa. People get mowed down in Thailand daily by all types of cars and by drivers of all social classes.

crossing the road is dangerous here.

That and because the sun readers and OAPs don't have the money for a Porsche, but a Thai has it.

Last week an Afgan refugee to Melbourne (in Australia for the geographically challenged)

Thanks for pointing that out as there is a Melbourne in England thats been around a few centuries longer than the one in the southern hemisphere.

:ph34r:

This story is getting a lot of attention because someone was cut in half.

Without that part of the story, this would never have made it to Thai Visa. People get mowed down in Thailand daily by all types of cars and by drivers of all social classes.

crossing the road is dangerous here.

Even the sidewalks aren't safe. The local motorcycle taxis up my soi seem to think drag racing on the sidewalks are an option whenever the soi is congested.

I think your partly right but the fact that he would not be turned in before certain festivities is of course a trademark of the high class who think they cant be judged.

But how he drove (if he really drove only 120kmh) is not that exceptional here on the Thai roads and not only hi so's do it. Also flying the scene is not a hi so only thing. I got angry with this too at first but when someone said replace the porshe for a jazz it hit home. Its the car + the idea that he must have been going at great speeds as such cars often do.

Now if he really did not go faster as 120km/h only the arrogance gets my blood boiling the rest is just typical Thai. Yes it happens in the west too but a lot less then here. Because the police do their job a lot better.

I wonder if police have interviewed the driver of the bus that hindered his view.

Are you being "cryptic"? - what are you implying? perhaps you could clarify?

The driver has stated that a bus hindered his view. What Wallaby has asked is "have the police interviewed the bus driver?".

Maybe he's suggesting that if the bus was parked in a wrong place obstructing the view of other drivers then this is contributing to this dreadful mess. And in some countries the law is based, in some matters, on shared respsonsibility.

Now I'm not suggesting that the young driver here should be punished less severely because the bus was parked wrongly (if it was), the bottom line is that all drivers (and the written law in this country is in fact the same) have a 'duty of care'. If the view was obstructed the driver should have slowed down and proceeded with caution.

Edited by scorecard

30151913-01.jpg

A Rangsit University student who allegedly killed a young woman in a road incident last Friday, surrendered to police yesterday before being charged with manslaughter and hitandrun, and finally released on bail.

Either excellent police work or his family has a conscience and decided that to prolong this tragedy any longer would only do more damage.

So Peerapol Thaksinthaweesap,arrives at the police station accompanied by his 'hoodie' mates and is promptly released on bail. No flight risk then?

I hope that he spends the next couple of years looking over his shoulder as there's little likelihood of him spending time where he ought to be.

THe family appear to have "hidden" the guy until they are prepared to face - or rather "arrange" the consequences.

The Thai press help to isolate him and show more of him...

d0d1a64a.jpg

Khao Sod newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_news.php?newsid=TUROd01ERXdOakk0TURNMU5BPT0=&sectionid=TURNd01RPT0=&day=TWpBeE1TMHdNeTB5T0E9PQ==

Edited by Buchholz

I think your partly right but the fact that he would not be turned in before certain festivities is of course a trademark of the high class who think they cant be judged.

But how he drove (if he really drove only 120kmh) is not that exceptional here on the Thai roads and not only hi so's do it. Also flying the scene is not a hi so only thing. I got angry with this too at first but when someone said replace the porshe for a jazz it hit home. Its the car + the idea that he must have been going at great speeds as such cars often do.

Now if he really did not go faster as 120km/h only the arrogance gets my blood boiling the rest is just typical Thai. Yes it happens in the west too but a lot less then here. Because the police do their job a lot better.

There has been a very sad death and a young lady is now dead, and she should be respected.

The 'class war', 'hi-so elites' angle is very complex. Let's not forget that many up-country village chiefs and similar folks (and also in the city of course) started of as the repressed poor with no justice, then suddenly they get entangled in 'the boys club' which brings riches, then they often expect that they are now entitled to the 'extra benefits' protection from procecution, etc.

As I said above, The 'class war', 'hi-so elites' angle is very complex.

The sad thing about all of this is, Thailand is no worse on this front that the so-called enlightened 'west'.

Last week an Afgan refugee to Melbourne (in Australia for the geographically challenged) was mowed down a young 20-something year old hoon who was drag racing along an outer eastern suburbs thoroughfare.

The most he has been charged for is culpable driving.

http://www.heraldsun...x-1226023492407

One of the drivers nicked off for a few days before turning himself in and was released on bail a few days later.

For the death of a person, he most likely will be given a relative slap on the wrist when all is said and done. Is it fair to the victims family? Of course not, but it strikes me as when all is said and done, for whatever reason, the Thai and Australian legal systems will arrive at a fairly similar outcome, right or wrong.

So you are basing your proof that the 'enlightened west' gets these matters just as wrong as Thailand, on the basis of an incident that hasn't been decided yet? Interesting logic!

How about comparing a real incident that has been through the courts and decided in Australia, one not completely dissimilar to the Porsche speedster:

Sydney, Australia: 2 street-racing hoons kill 2 people. Both received jail sentences. At least one was denied bail:

http://www.carkb.com...tective-custody

http://newnation.tv/...ad.php?t=137297

One of these hoons was sentenced to a minimum period of 6 years in jail, with a a maximum of 9 years.

The driver said he was travelling at 120 kilometers per hour when the girl ran in front of his car.

He claimed there was a bus in the left lane so he could not see that the girl was about to cross the road.

Even IF he was "only" doing 120, if he's traveling that fast in the furthest left lane possible (just to the right of a stopped bus), it was a catastrophic accident waiting to happen.

He's doing 120 and he's not even in the far right "speed lane"??? :blink:

I echo the comment earlier about the bus driver and bus passengers (if, in fact, there even was a bus there as claimed) needing to being questioned.

Their testimony will be critical.

Edited by Buchholz

Does anyone know:

- is the place where the accident occurred a built-up area? Or open countryside?

- what is the speed limit of the road there?

The report says it occurred on "Pathum Thani-Bang Bua Thong Road in front of Parichart Housing Estate in Muang district."

Can anyone give a googlemaps reference/Latitude+longitude?

I wouldn't let the thai police assist my 2 yr old with a 9 piece jigsaw puzzle as they would stuff it up and swear black and blue that they have solved it.

I am sure P.C. Santisook could solve it for you. Seen here announcing the arrest of a suspect.

post-9891-0-26721900-1301239055_thumb.jpg

The suspect is the one wearing the cap? :huh:

The sad thing about all of this is, Thailand is no worse on this front that the so-called enlightened 'west'.

Last week an Afgan refugee to Melbourne (in Australia for the geographically challenged) was mowed down a young 20-something year old hoon who was drag racing along an outer eastern suburbs thoroughfare.

The most he has been charged for is culpable driving.

http://www.heraldsun...x-1226023492407

One of the drivers nicked off for a few days before turning himself in and was released on bail a few days later.

For the death of a person, he most likely will be given a relative slap on the wrist when all is said and done. Is it fair to the victims family? Of course not, but it strikes me as when all is said and done, for whatever reason, the Thai and Australian legal systems will arrive at a fairly similar outcome, right or wrong.

So you are basing your proof that the 'enlightened west' gets these matters just as wrong as Thailand, on the basis of an incident that hasn't been decided yet? Interesting logic!

How about comparing a real incident that has been through the courts and decided in Australia, one not completely dissimilar to the Porsche speedster:

Sydney, Australia: 2 street-racing hoons kill 2 people. Both received jail sentences. At least one was denied bail:

http://www.carkb.com...tective-custody

http://newnation.tv/...ad.php?t=137297

One of these hoons was sentenced to a minimum period of 6 years in jail, with a a maximum of 9 years.

Thanks for the links.

I think you make my point however. I mentioned that whatever happens, in both places, there will be a 'relative slap on the wrist'. That is all I was trying to say.

In both countries, the outcomes, to my judgement, will be/have been, woefully inadequate.

Your post, to me anyway, just re-enforces it. This Thai kid may or may not have to serve some time. If he does, it will be minimal.

The Australian cases you provide - well to me 6 to 9 years for basically causing TWO deaths (and I'd call it an intentional death if you are hooning) is getting off light. For me, you might as well go out in the street and randomly fire a gun. You'll eventually hit someone, a bit like hooning will 'eventually' cause someones death.

Edited by samran

30151913-01.jpg

Either excellent police work or his family has a conscience and decided that to prolong this tragedy any longer would only do more damage.

So Peerapol Thaksinthaweesap,arrives at the police station accompanied by his 'hoodie' mates and is promptly released on bail. No flight risk then?

I hope that he spends the next couple of years looking over his shoulder as there's little likelihood of him spending time where he ought to be.

THe family appear to have "hidden" the guy until they are prepared to face - or rather "arrange" the consequences.

The Thai press help to isolate him and show more of him...

d0d1a64a.jpg

Khao Sod newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.khaosod.c...HdNeTB5T0E9PQ==

He looks about 12 :o

UPDATE: Thai news are reporting that the driver, 19 year old Peerapol Thaksintaweesup, has turned himself in accompanied by his uncle. He says he was driving at around 120 km/hr and the girl ran across the road when he hit her. He didn't see the girl crossing the road as there was a bus parked on the side of the road. He is sorry for what happened and will take full responsibility for it including compensation for the girl's family.

I remember driving in the States a few years ago - you weren't allowed to overtake a school bus in some places, such as residential areas.

But this guy passes a bus at - he says - 120 kph! Did it ever cross his mind that someone may walk out from behind the bus? That's what goes through my head when I overtake ANY parked vehicle, let alone a bus.

It's a great shame that someone has to die a horrible death just so this guy learns something that I was taught by my driving instructor decades ago and may be mentioned in the UK's 'Highway Code'.