Divorce - What Papers Do I Need?

akumabito

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will file for divorce coming May. We talked it through, and the divorce will not be contested. What sort of paperwork do I need to bring to the amphur office to see this through, then get everything translated and stamped by the proper authorities? I am not currently in Thailand, and I'll be flying over for a week to take care of anything. Do I need to bring papers like my birth-certificate, registration, etc.? Or will the marriage papers + valid ID be sufficient? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

No papers needed, besides ID and the original marriage certificate. You turn both in and will get a less colour ful divorce certificate in return.

When you enter the divorce in the register is also the time you must enter any divorce agreement you migth have come to, if you have property to divide (that includes any debts).

You also need to bring witnesses, or maybe the amhur can provide them.

• 3 months later...

No papers needed, besides ID and the original marriage certificate. You turn both in and will get a less colour ful divorce certificate in return.

When you enter the divorce in the register is also the time you must enter any divorce agreement you migth have come to, if you have property to divide (that includes any debts).

You also need to bring witnesses, or maybe the amhur can provide them.

I found the following on another website:

"The wife needs to have her pre-marriage ID card changed to Mrs. – before the divorce process can start. Some Thai girls may be reluctant to change their ID card to process a divorce, because the ID card and computer records will not change back to Miss after the divorce. In other words; the Mrs. title stays with the Thai girl on her ID card – for life."

True?!

Edited by LeonJ24

What if you are so frustrated with the marriage, you just want a divorce and to leave? Does the wife HAVE to go along with you to the Amphur office, or can I just go by myself, take a copy of the marriage certificate, and get it done? I'd really like to get it and just walk, without her knowing it.

Divorce at the amphur cna only be done by mutual consent, and both parties must sign the divorce register. If there is no consent, one can only get a divorce through the courts and must use one of the reasons mentioned in the law.