Why Do Thai Ladies Of The Night...

IanForbes

On the towel question, it's probably because they really don't want you to see them, they don't really like you, and they don't really want to be in that situation at all. Who could ever get over that?

Have you ever had a relationship with a bar girl?

Have you ever lived with a bar girl and her family?

Have you ever met a bar girls parents?

Have you spent much time in brothels in Thailand?

I would submit that you don't have a clue about what you are writing in this area.

Naive is an understatement.

Yours is the typical, defensive, psuedo-intellectual response intended to devalue an opinion you don't agree with. To me, however, what you say above is meaningless since I don't believe a person must experience everything in the world before one can have an opinion about it. If this were true, then no one could comment on politics, religion, etc., until they've been a PM or a legislator, or a monk/nun, (or dated a bar girl). This is nonsense, of course. This is why humans have the capacity for empathy and understanding.

It still remains true that many "ladies of the night" don't like it and only do it for the money, or for drugs, or whatever. Hence, some are embarrassed by it.

Glad you came back Jawnie. People should know some things about people simply because they are people too. I would agree with that. But your experience and education does not serve you well in trying to understand bar girls.

It is like trying to learn to speak Thai without understanding tones. You can learn English paying almost no attentions to the tonal implications of words, not so Thai.

You mention politics and religion and yes everyone has an opinion but that is hardly knowledge. Looking at the behavior of monks or politicians from a distance without some in depth study will lead you to false conclusions.

You don't have the information to make any accurate conclusions about bar girls.

Thai Visa is a unique resource about things Thai. There are people here who understand the Thai system from years of study and experience living in Thailand for many years.

I would imagine there are over 1000 regular posters who have married bar girls and are living with them in Thailand and have for more than 10 years each. There are posters on Thai Visa who own brothels and who have lived in brothels and speak fluent Thai to bar girls on a regular basis and have for many years in all parts of the country.

I know three generations of bar girls. A 60 year old grandmother, her daughter 35 and her grand daughter 20 who are all still in the business and I am not alone in this knowledge.

People who come to Thailand and a year later are voicing opinions and giving advice about things Thai are usually not very well informed. Interesting to read as we all go through stages of learning.

You are out of your depth here. Best you listen and learn. Or go out and see for yourself without your Western baggage on your back. A lady writing a story many years ago about Playboy bunnies went out and got a job at a Playboy club to understand the system and inner workings of Bunny life. She wrote a decent story. Journalists writing about war get assigned to a combat unit.

If you want to know anything about bar girls or bar life feel free to ask. But you don't have the qualifications to be telling anybody anything about it yet.

From your perspective, then, I will never have enough information and experience to understand bar girls.

From my perspective, I already have all the information I need.

Life is life, regardless of who is living it.

As far as your comment on drugs is concerned, that is a very small minority and more indicative to prostitution in North America or Europe.

Not sure you're right about that Ian.

I don't know about up country but in Bangkok drugs are widespread among the bar girl community and regular used by more girls than you can imagine.

At least that's my experience but then maybe I date the wrong women.

You may or may not know but I am really down on drugs. Don't like them. Have seen too many bad things as a result of them. A couple of things about bar girls and drugs. 1. They take them to stay skinny. This is also very true in Thai only communities. I don't know if the prescription drugs given are much better as they both have bad side effects. This is an industry wide problem. 2. The momma san sometimes pushes drugs as another source of income and a facilitator of fun and games.

The ladies get off work at the bar and head to the disco to party and that is a drug heavy scene.

In the past five years there has been a rapid increase in drug use both in the bar and after work at the clubs. You can spot a coyote dancer a mile away from the extreme skinny appearance. Thighs the size of my wrist can't be natural.

In some bars 95% of the ladies have Thai giks and I have never seen a Thai gik who was not into drugs.

Someone has to pay for them as the guys don't work.

It is a major problem and is not getting better. The main offenders being the Thai side of the industry. Seems to me that the average Falang likes women darker and heavier than the average Thai.

About the towel issue and embarrassment that I forgot to post above. It is obvious that a Thai good girl wife still takes off her clothes under a towel with her husband after 20 years of marriage so it is more cultural than any other issue. Also, even sisters still use a towel when changing and after 30 years sisters can't be embarrassed among each other. A towel has nothing to do with being embarrassed about being a prostitute.

It is also obvious to me that Falangs are far more embarrassed about being with a prostitute than it bothers the ladies. One only has to read Thai Visa for a while to figure that out. Not so much making up new identities for the GF but in the sometimes tedious recitation of the academic and moral qualifications of the significant other. When introducing a woman in West it is rare to be burdened with a complete resume by the male doing the introducing in the first five minutes of the conversation. For example, “Hi this is my girlfriend, she is a Harvard MBA and her parents own two banks and her grandfather invented canned tuna fish and her aunt came over with the Pilgrims.” If you get my meaning.

It still remains true that many "ladies of the night" don't like it and only do it for the money, or for drugs, or whatever.

I started a thread on this forum a few months ago. The thread talked about how my "proper" girlfriend of ten and a half years cheated on me with an elderly gentleman.

Following this, I went to Nana Plaza. I met a beautiful girl from Si Saket. She was 32. I paid her bar fine and brought her back to my exquisite villa here in the tropical suburbs of northern Bangkok.

We went to bed. And she had no interest at all. Absolutely none. When I asked her why, she explained that she hated the bar scene and found it degrading.

Obviously I was extremely concerned. So I did what any normal caring, considerate and compassionate gentleman would have done.

In simple English, I put my hand between her legs. And you know what -- her "parts" were literally soaking wet.

I cannot possibly describe in detail what happened next. All I can say is that it was rude, it was shocking, it lasted 3 or 4 hours, and it was rather noisy.

Some gentlemen here in Thailand seem not to understand that many whores really are whores. They love it.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding. Go to bed with a "proper" girl and try putting your finger into her bottom. She will almost certainly express surprise or shock or disgust.

Try it with a whore, however, and you will find that you've just gained entry into paradise.

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

//closed

As far as your comment on drugs is concerned, that is a very small minority and more indicative to prostitution in North America or Europe.

Not sure you're right about that Ian.

I don't know about up country but in Bangkok drugs are widespread among the bar girl community and regular used by more girls than you can imagine.

At least that's my experience but then maybe I date the wrong women.

I agree, drug use is very very widespread amongst the girls in the lady bars. Another good post by Ian as usual but sad to say, wrong on the drug usage i fear.