Vat Inclusive..?

paulbrun

I just bought some groceries at Villa market in Chalong, and was surprised to see the total jump from 1600 baht to 1900 baht as the amount I had to pay..? I checked the receipt as I left and they had added on 300 baht for taxes..? Maybe I hadn't noticed before, but this seems misleading to me. Shouldn't the price shown on the shelf be what you have to pay..? I didn't see any mention of this anywhere inside the store. Comments..?

I just checked the receipt again, and only 107 baht is for VAT, the rest is Ntax..? The total is right though. The only reason we shop there is for items we can't usually get elsewhere, or if we don't want to fight the crowds at Tesco, or Tops

I probably hadn't noticed before. Still curious to know what the other taxes are..? I know there is 1% tax collected locally, for 'administration' purposes. So that's 7% VAT + 1% for the governor. But the taxes charged on my groceries were over18%..! I will quiz Villa

I will quiz Villa

And I'd bet you'll be the first customer ever, ever to ask that question!

Expect innocent, naive, and ignorant looks on the faces of about 15 assistants as they pore over your till receipt. Then, they'll all disperse, leaving one poor soul to give you some bull.

A couple of friends just had a rather unspectacular lunch at the Yorkshire and said that when the bill came, it had extra added (tax and perhaps service charge). Perhaps this is a growth industry.

Trying to figure out the VAT/groceries situation, be aware that some items like non-flavoured yoghurt and milk don't have VAT.

Maybe Villa added import duties?

Ping: very high on the list of things that piss me off is restaurants adding VAT and service charge to the bill for my pizza or whatever.

At Villa and other supermarkets, the price on the shelf is what you pay. On the receipt you will find the amount before VAT, the VAT and the total amount. With some items exempt of VAT that can be a bit confusing.

This has nothing to do with restaurants adding service charge and VAT to their bill (normally this will be mentioned on the menu). I hate that practice, especially since in my experience none of the service charge goes to the people performing the service, the waiters, but is simply a hidden profit for the owner.

This has nothing to do with restaurants adding service charge and VAT to their bill (normally this will be mentioned on the menu). I hate that practice, especially since in my experience none of the service charge goes to the people performing the service, the waiters, but is simply a hidden profit for the owner.

I also hate it when they do this.

In our hotel/restaurant we use the Nett price without any extras.

This is not a problem and i don't really understand why not more businnesses are doing this !!

Maybe to try to look the prices a little bit cheaper on the menus. :angry: