More Cold Weather In Thailand Expected

webfact

the most precise description is in Chinese Lunar Calandar, that captures the 24 natural ( weather ) phenomenons that a reference for argiculture operation. by the way, the shortest day is Dec 21/22.

correction here too - longest day is Jun 21/22. ( not Jul )

I also learnt that Thai apply a different system in their calandar, that calculates the relation of Songkran and the hotest day, again for argiculture operation.

The northern hemisphere's summer solstice is on June 20 (2012) or June 21 (this year and most years).

This is the northern hemisphere's longest day and marks the start of summer (and winter in southern hemisphere).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

April 17, the hotest day - sun direct overhead, per geographic location

July 21, the longest daytime from sunrise to sunset, north of equator, further north longer than day

there are two different natural phenomenons.

. . . and the expected hottest day is independent from the sun overhead or not...

As is the longest day of the year, which coincides with the summer solstice for all locations north of the equator. Which is neither here nor there, except you can win bar bets on it.

I believe the longest day in the Northern Hemisphere is June 21, not July

relax, relax, it is not about enjoy or suffer - it is just a surprise of 'less hot' in March :-)

this 'less hot' indeed brings a lot of unexpected inconvenience :-(

Not sure why you farang feel its so great for you. You came here to enjoy our culture and day to day living, weather included. Yes we can't change how nature is, but, it is cold for us. Do you wonder why we feel the way we do when you make your feelings known, it always has to be about you. :jap:

You're 100% right. You can't change the weather. It is what it is. As far as I can see, many foreigners living here are enjoying it, and it's the locals who seem to be complaining.

Not only can you not complain as a foreigner - you also can't say goood things. Wow!

If 'farangs' saying how much they are enjoying the cold snap is offensive to you, you really should take a long hard look in the mirror and come to realise - you hate foreigners. :jap:

correction - the longest day is indeed JUNE 21/22, not July. thanks . . .

April 17, the hotest day - sun direct overhead, per geographic location

July 21, the longest daytime from sunrise to sunset, north of equator, further north longer than day

there are two different natural phenomenons.

I believe the longest day in the Northern Hemisphere is June 21, not July

[snapback.pngstkyricesf, on 2011-03-29 04:04:56, said:

Not sure why you farang feel its so great for you. You came here to enjoy our culture and day to day living, weather included. Yes we can't change how nature is, but, it is cold for us. Do you wonder why we feel the way we do when you make your feelings known, it always has to be about you. :jap:

quote]

/Good post! Though I come from Sweden where it usually is very cold I do NOT think it is "lovely" when it is very windy, cloudy and only 20 degrees C like it is here just now. I think 30-35 and sunshine is much more pleasant. But 40 is too hot, I think you agree...

Trip trap off the site Troll!

Dear stkyricesf', at first, we are no guavas (or "farang")!! Or would you like to be called a 'coconut' when visiting our countries?? :D

Then, it is up to us to exchange our thoughts about liking or not liking the weather in the place we visit/live in. We learn this (critical thinking and discussion in school), which is very different to school in Thailand with rote learning and teachers telling the students the answers and/or helping them actively to cheat in their high school diploma exams.

Yes, we love Thailand, especially the climate and weather, and we like to 'talk' as much about the weather as coco..., I mean, Thais do. :jap:

Edited by 007

Get a life your the one who does all the moaning.

We should remember Thais are used to the heat, and the recent cold spell has had an adverse affect on them especially the old and their homes are not equipped for cold weather.

I just wonder why Thais always cool down their shopping malls to a freezing 5 or 10 degr. Celsius if they can't stand the cold. :lol:

Edited by 007

Correct - if you don't like it you can leave ! :whistling:

You sure like handing out those RED cards ,

"April 17 is expected to be the hottest day of the year, as the sun will be directly overhead."

Do I misunderstand, I always thought in the northern hemisphere the sun reaches its highest point at July 21?

Not in the Tropics between The Cancer/Capricorn lines the Sun is more or less overhead all the time but North of the Equator April is when it is at its Highest 21st June is when its highest over the North Pole, we get a 2nd date in October as it returns south but as its in the rainy season we don't feel the temperature hike as much.

There`s a first.Go home if you DO like it? Blimey!

:cheesy: Only in Thailand! If its never been said, never been done, just wait. It will be. A M A Z I N G Thailand

this must be some kind of record for the time of year isn't it? i can never remember having to wear a sweater in march before!

i love it by the way, i wish every hot season was like this

A sweater? You big jessie!

With today's temperature of 22C and strong winds, I am quite happy to be a "jessie" with my socks, jeans, long sleeved shirt and wait for it...........................JUMPER! Might just have to have a wee dram to keep the chill out the aging bones!

I used to work for a company that would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in order to get mostly accurate weather forecasts so that they could re-route their ships and perhaps save millions of dollars per year in fuel costs and delays and damage to equipment. I think that service for the most part offered a genuine net dollar cost advantage. It is the only weather service that I have ever encountered that has. Most weather forecasts are awful and one would do better to look out the window and buy a barometer.

Bending the topic just a little: Anybody have any idea what the photo in the article is supposed to be illustrating?

It is a waiting room in a hospital and it is supposed to be illustrating all the sick people from the cold.

Bending the topic just a little: Anybody have any idea what the photo in the article is supposed to be illustrating?

Nearly everybody is wearing sweaters or coats when it's nearly April. However, if that is a bus station all bets are off. :D

this must be some kind of record for the time of year isn't it? i can never remember having to wear a sweater in march before!

i love it by the way, i wish every hot season was like this

A sweater? You big jessie!

:lol:

• The Brits are well known for being complainers about the weather but Thais are too! They always complain when it's hot and always complain when it's cool :lol:

"Ooo naow" which means cold but really the temperature is only cool ... they have no idea what cold is!!! lol :D

I didn't know any one day was that much different in length whatever the month. Given that the earth is slowing we are unlikely to notice over our life time. Currently one Earth day is equal to 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4.1 seconds.

Oh and I am feeling cold. In 7 years never before in Thailand have I worn a jumper and jeans 2 days on the trot as I have this week.

Edited by Mosha

here where I live is not cold ... it's just mild

fine weather.... love it.

Yes but your not Thai are you? So you probably don't wear a jacket in the middle of summer either :whistling: ..

I agree it's been fantastic though a bit more sunlight would be nice.. 39-40C? When does it ever get that hot here? That's 100-104 degrees Fahrenheit! Rubbish! It seldom, if ever gets over 98 here on the hottest days with maybe a very small and distinct part of the country and in the peak of summer...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Oh stop whimpering and shut up will you granny, its NOT cold its just perfect, end of story :D