Alternatives To Grace Dental Clinic?

jaideeguy

My Thai wife and I will be returning to CM soon from Panama, where we have been living for a while. As a comparison, since both Thailand and Panama are touted as 'medical tourism' destinations, a cleaning here costs about $30 US, a filling $25, crown $250, root canal $200. My wife just completed a two year course of braces, including pre-emptive removal of 4 teeth and post-braces retainer for just under $1400 US.

My son was told in the US that he needed about $12,000 worth of crowns and fillings, only to get his second opinion here that most of that work was unnecessary, and had all taken care of for under $200, no crowns needed.

Sounds like dental work is a bit more in CM, but still far less than in the US, where the greed factor and insurance companies prevail.

charged me for the maximum amount of time but took the min. and the person who worked on me refused to come out and talk with me about it

I just went to Grace and they charged me 1,200 or 1300 for a 6 month cleaning. I forget already. It used to be 1,100 .

I think they use a floating charge based on how much work it was. Amount of time or something. Mine was super easy. Hardly any scraping required. So evidently they have raised the minimum cleaning price.

I like Grace but my doctor left a year ago and they new one has really minimal english skills.

I am kind of curious also about better deals and services out there.

After two years in Australia with no dental care as their prices are unaffordable, I went to Grace for a cleaning and a couple of fillings.

The cleaning took a full hour and involved much scraping (not surprised after two years) and with an xray I payed a little less than 2000 baht.

Dr. Korakot did the two fillings which involved cutting away gums at two locations and that took a full hour.

I have been going to Grace for 10 years and there has been some increase in prices but nothing like what is happening to medical doctor charges.

Anyway, Dr. Korakot told me this time that her prices are largely dependent on the time it takes the dentist to do their work, but I suspect materials cost does affect some procedures.

Her charge for her work was 2200 Baht, which is probably close to what most dentists there charge for most procedures. Since my work involved cutting of gums plus fillings in graduated layers in anticipation of a future root canal in one of my teeth, I was not disturbed by the charge.

My last root canal was done there about three years ago and it was 6000 baht and done by the lady who does Dr. Korakots personal root canal. I actually fell asleep during the procedure. This time, I felt nothing as Dr. Korakot injected the Novacaine. Her needle technique is outstanding.

Contrast the 2200 baht for her hourly rate which includes her operating room against a couple of skin excisions on my leg by a plastic surgeon last fall who charged me 15K for an hour and a half work and an equal additional amount for the operating room at Lanna Hospital.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

A friend just refered me to 'Chiang Mai Dental Hospital' on the [not so]super hiway on the south side of the Mae Rim junction and I just returned from a cleaning [@800thb] and filling 3 holes [@ 2600thb]......not as slick as Grace and little English spoken, but a decent job, I hope. Fillings guaranteed for a year....time will tell.

Thanks for your input.

Only 1 year...? blink.gif

I have composite fillings done in Europe, after 8 years still OK. A year ago I went to a dentist in BKK (a known one near Siam square) who did 1 filling and I feel it needs to be redone...

I just want a good dentist, it's about health, but price and quality have to be right.

General info http://www.chiangmaichimes.com/essential-services-chiang-mai/dental-clinics.html

Edited by Soulwy

Elite Smile next to Panthip Plaza at Chang Klan Road: I was there today. It turned out everything was ok, so it only cost me 150 Baht for the X-ray...biggrin.gif

I am going to keep this one as my regular dentist.

Elite Smile next to Panthip Plaza at Chang Klan Road: I was there today. It turned out everything was ok, so it only cost me 150 Baht for the X-ray...biggrin.gif

I am going to keep this one as my regular dentist.

I had the same positive experience with Dr. Joy at Elite Smile. She is finishing up my root canal started at Ram Dental. Dr. Joy provided 3 shots of Novocaine compared to the one shot given at Ram Dental for the same procedure involving the same tooth. Hence, no pain during the procedure. She also speaks English extremely well and was able to explain the procedure and time estimates. Excellent professional experience.

'Been with Dental4U (tacky name - great service) since they started about 4 years ago. Now have a branch on the east side of Pronthip called Elite Dental. Dr Warut is well-recommended and treatment alternatives well-explained. If you want Grace without the additional farang cost - try them!

I have used Dental4U for the last 3 years and been pleased. Have had root canals, crowns, fillings and regular cleanings.

Only 1 year...? blink.gif

I have composite fillings done in Europe, after 8 years still OK. A year ago I went to a dentist in BKK (a known one near Siam square) who did 1 filling and I feel it needs to be redone...

So, I think he means that the dentist will pay for filling replacement if there is a problem with them in the first year, not that they'll only last a year. (I hope.) :)

I have been with Grace, mainly Dr.Korakot for 6 years now, in fact I was there yesterday.

I know they are not cheap, but I don't like going to the dentist (does anyone?)

but I have always felt that I am in confident hands and would not dream of changing after all ths time.

I think she is a brilliant dental technician.

I know they are not cheap, but I don't like going to the dentist (does anyone?)

but I have always felt that I am in confident hands and would not dream of changing after all ths time.

That is how I feel about my (somewhat expensive) dentist too. Every time I went to a dentist back home, I ended up in severe pain, but this woman has not hurt me even once in many years of appointments. :)

• 8 months later...

Try Dr Jarunee at Empress Dental on Canal Road between the Mae Hia Market and the Royal Flora junction. She used to work at Grace until she opened her own clinic a couple of years ago. She now has several dentists on her staff. All of her services are less expensive than Grace, but, imho, done equally well. I believe a cleaning at Empress will cost about 1000 baht. I've been to about 10 different dental offices in CM over the years. Empress and Grace are the only two I would go back to.

Do you know, please, whether she, or other staff, haver specific training and experience in regard to childrens teeth?

Dr. Jarunee once cleaned my teeth. She finished in about 10 minutes. I had another appointment for a filling with another dentist (in the same clinic, but not Grace) literally 3 days later. This second dentist told me that my teeth needed cleaning.....

Admittedly, I'd left cleaning alone for almost a year, and I don't have new teeth. Still, Grace charged 1700 baht, which is greater than I would have paid in the States, and there insurance would have paid most or all of it.

Good luck finding any dental clinic in the US that charges only $56 for a cleaning other than some hillbilly clinic up in Appalachia with a banjo playing in the background. In my metropolitan region, the Farang dentists who like to golf now charge close to $200 for a cleaning and the immigrant dentists (my new dentist is Iranian) charge around $125 which is what the insurance companies reimburse a dental clinic for a cleaning for those fortunate enough to have dental insurance. Most of us who do not work for the government or the big corporations (now the same duopoly of power) can only afford catastrophic medical without dental coverage.

+ 1

As if it is anywhere near remotely possible to have a dentist deep clean (40min - 1 hour) your teeth for $56 in the U.S. At best you will get the quickest clean in dental history (maybe a 5 minute clean if you are lucky).

I use the one quarter principle. If I am being charged one quarter or better of what I would be charged for dental in Australia then I feel it is a fair price. Grace meets this criteria so my advice..... stop being tight a*ses and just go to Grace.

There is a new [to me] dental clinic on the 2nd floor of the new 3 story extension of Maechok Rimping [next to the Vietnam restaurant]and briefly spoke to a Dr Bo and she quoted me 600-800thb for a cleaning. Just wondering if anyone else has had experiences with them?? I think their name is DC clinic and they have another clinic somewhere else in the city.

I just did my 2 session of Deep cleaning ( 1000 baht each) and pulled 2 Wisdom tooth ( 500baht each) at Dental World

Their website and Price list:

http://www.dentalworldchiangmai.com/fee-and-duration.php

Did the above treatments in prepare to put on bracer. They quoted me 58,000baht for Damon Bracer which include top and bottom installation, 6-8 week periodic visit during 2 years period, Take out. The fee exclude X-ray and mold.

They have many doctor specialized on each section. So far my experience is good. All doctor speak simple english. I saw a lot of Westerner went there too.

A worth dentist to consider

I highly recommend Dental 4 U, cheap, excellent service and competent dentistry. Also, free consultation!!

Good luck!!

I think their advertised charge of 3000 - 4000 Baht for deep cleaning, is rather expensive.

Ya. I had a look at Dental 4 U price list. Most item are higher compare to the clinic I went to.

I can't understand the need for people to flock to Grace, I understand that it's a good dentist but there are so many other good dentists in CM at a quarter and half the price - Dental For U and Elite Smile are both very good and sensibly priced. Whilst I may have recommended Grace in the past I think I'm going to stop doing so on the basis that they are driving up the expat cost of living in CM.

I can't understand the need for people to flock to Grace, I understand that it's a good dentist but there are so many other good dentists in CM at a quarter and half the price - Dental For U and Elite Smile are both very good and sensibly priced. Whilst I may have recommended Grace in the past I think I'm going to stop doing so on the basis that they are driving up the expat cost of living in CM.

Apart from Dr. Korakot and another lady, they are just average dentist's. Dr. Jarunee was good, but she has her own clinic now.