Alternatives To Grace Dental Clinic?

jaideeguy

Back when my $ was strong and prices were lower , Grace clinic was my dentist. Good staff, organized, excellent work and Dr Kurokot was the best and I could afford them, but times have changed and I need to find a more affordable dental clinic for my teeth and families teeth as well. Not one of the supercheap local dentists........ something near grace quality, but more affordable.

Grace used to charge 1,500thb for cleaning only.

Any recomendations??

I just went to Grace and they charged me 1,200 or 1300 for a 6 month cleaning. I forget already. It used to be 1,100 .

I think they use a floating charge based on how much work it was. Amount of time or something. Mine was super easy. Hardly any scraping required. So evidently they have raised the minimum cleaning price.

I like Grace but my doctor left a year ago and they new one has really minimal english skills.

I am kind of curious also about better deals and services out there.

We use Dentaland - it's a but cheaper than Grace (I think) but the cost of dental work has spiralled here over the past few years. There are several brand new surgeries that have been built in the last year or so (corner of Panthip and one by Prahsing Post Office for example) and they are probably well equipped at the very least but I don't have any experience. I think the profession has discovered that middle class Thais are willing/able to shell out a lot more than before and that there's serious money to be made starting a practice here.

So to get your teeth cleaning is around $50 U.S. In Israel I have Med.Ins. cost about 45U.S. a month but it covers 100% of Dr. visits,if you need to go to hospitol covers 100% and on Meds. Well 30 Valium cost with the Ins. like $2 U.S. most meds are cover by your ins. The Dental here is semi-private with ins. for a good cleaning is maybe $32. U.S. thats the only think cheap in Israel is the Health Care.

Admittedly, I'd left cleaning alone for almost a year, and I don't have new teeth. Still, Grace charged 1700 baht, which is greater than I would have paid in the States, and there insurance would have paid most or all of it. The job itself was as professional and thorough as I can recall. In short, I was greatly impressed by the job and disappointed by the cost. But probably had it coming.

By going in after three months, I may next time pay but 1200, cause less work (one whole hour last time).

So to get your teeth cleaning is around $50 U.S. In Israel I have Med.Ins. cost about 45U.S. a month but it covers 100% of Dr. visits,if you need to go to hospitol covers 100% and on Meds. Well 30 Valium cost with the Ins. like $2 U.S. most meds are cover by your ins. The Dental here is semi-private with ins. for a good cleaning is maybe $32. U.S. thats the only think cheap in Israel is the Health Care.

What's this got to do with the original post? He's asking for recommendations in Chiang Mai, not Israel or the US.

Try Dr Jarunee at Empress Dental on Canal Road between the Mae Hia Market and the Royal Flora junction. She used to work at Grace until she opened her own clinic a couple of years ago. She now has several dentists on her staff. All of her services are less expensive than Grace, but, imho, done equally well. I believe a cleaning at Empress will cost about 1000 baht. I've been to about 10 different dental offices in CM over the years. Empress and Grace are the only two I would go back to.

i used one in loy koi road fantastic clean did a really good job not expensive good english skills

i did not realize what a butcher my dentist was in the uk till i used that one cant remember the name but on the opposite side of the street to the old bell

and a bit further down towards the night bazaar end very good id never go any were els

No way Grace is #1 these days.

Can't go into details or the post would be removed.

I'll give it a shot. No problem with the equipment at Grace - really appears to be state-of-the-art. Pricing - ok, top baht for top equipment. My problem was that after the root canal, nothing stronger than Tylenol. That does not cut it for me. I was in agony for 3 hours, then it calmed down. All I wanted was Tylenol with codeine. I was told no way. They can not. So I tried Ram Dental for the next root canal. No problem getting the Tylenol with codeine, but, during the 2nd. appointment when the dentist located the canal, there was an insufficient amount of of Novocaine used so she had to stop after an hour. Then I was handed a bill for 7,000 THB. I asked why and they said that is the cost of my root canal. I asked why the balance was not reduced by what I had paid for the first appointment and was told that it was an 'emergency' appointment. No, it was not. It was scheduled 3 weeks in advance. Then they took 2,220 THB as payment for services plus the meds. The first visit, which lasted close to 2 hours, cost 1,020 THB. So what Ram has done is secured an additional 1,100 THB as future payment (the meds were 100 THB). The total cost for the root canal at Grace was 5,000+ THB. If I am to continue with Ram, it will cost over 8,000 THB. I'm not going back.

Edited by venturalaw

I had a root canal at Grace Dental Clinic. The cost was 6000 baht, and the dentist was excellent. I never felt the shot of Novocain, and there was no pain afterward.

'Been with Dental4U (tacky name - great service) since they started about 4 years ago. Now have a branch on the east side of Pronthip called Elite Dental. Dr Warut is well-recommended and treatment alternatives well-explained. If you want Grace without the additional farang cost - try them!

Admittedly, I'd left cleaning alone for almost a year, and I don't have new teeth. Still, Grace charged 1700 baht, which is greater than I would have paid in the States, and there insurance would have paid most or all of it.

Good luck finding any dental clinic in the US that charges only $56 for a cleaning other than some hillbilly clinic up in Appalachia with a banjo playing in the background. In my metropolitan region, the Farang dentists who like to golf now charge close to $200 for a cleaning and the immigrant dentists (my new dentist is Iranian) charge around $125 which is what the insurance companies reimburse a dental clinic for a cleaning for those fortunate enough to have dental insurance. Most of us who do not work for the government or the big corporations (now the same duopoly of power) can only afford catastrophic medical without dental coverage.

Try Dr Jarunee at Empress Dental on Canal Road between the Mae Hia Market and the Royal Flora junction. She used to work at Grace until she opened her own clinic a couple of years ago. She now has several dentists on her staff. All of her services are less expensive than Grace, but, imho, done equally well. I believe a cleaning at Empress will cost about 1000 baht. I've been to about 10 different dental offices in CM over the years. Empress and Grace are the only two I would go back to.

Dr. Jarunee is excellent but her prices have been steadily on the increase. She is my favorite dentist and the best for cleaning. But I would not recommend other procedures there besides the cleaning done by Dr. Jarunee. She is very busy with her work and refers other procedures to her colleagues. I had some fillings replaced by her colleague who I won't name and it was one of the most uncomfortable dental procedures I have ever had in my life. I'll leave it at that.

I'll give it a shot. No problem with the equipment at Grace - really appears to be state-of-the-art. Pricing - ok, top baht for top equipment. My problem was that after the root canal, nothing stronger than Tylenol. That does not cut it for me. I was in agony for 3 hours, then it calmed down. All I wanted was Tylenol with codeine. I was told no way. They can not.

But you can buy 10 Tramadol for 20 Baht at any Pharmacy so why not get it there?

I'll give it a shot. No problem with the equipment at Grace - really appears to be state-of-the-art. Pricing - ok, top baht for top equipment. My problem was that after the root canal, nothing stronger than Tylenol. That does not cut it for me. I was in agony for 3 hours, then it calmed down. All I wanted was Tylenol with codeine. I was told no way. They can not.

But you can buy 10 Tramadol for 20 Baht at any Pharmacy so why not get it there?

Wasn't aware of that. I'd rather take codeine after reading about Tramadol.

I have never shopped around so I can not comment on the difference in service.

I have always gone to smile clinic located in Pantip plaza. It is a separate entrance located on Chang Klang.

Cost for cleaning was 600 Baht. She replaced one filling for I believe it was 1,200 Baht.

As I said I can not compare but I am very satisfied with the service and price I have received there.

'Been with Dental4U (tacky name - great service) since they started about 4 years ago. Now have a branch on the east side of Pronthip called Elite Dental. Dr Warut is well-recommended and treatment alternatives well-explained. If you want Grace without the additional farang cost - try them!

Where are these places? Dental4U and Elite Dental/Pronthip

Dr. Jarunee is excellent but her prices have been steadily on the increase. She is my favorite dentist and the best for cleaning. But I would not recommend other procedures there besides the cleaning done by Dr. Jarunee. She is very busy with her work and refers other procedures to her colleagues. I had some fillings replaced by her colleague who I won't name and it was one of the most uncomfortable dental procedures I have ever had in my life. I'll leave it at that.

I agree that Dr Jarunee's prices are more expensive than many other dentists in the CM area, but still cheaper than Grace.

Funny that you mention having fillings replaced there. I had two fillings that had to be replaced in the past two months. Dr Jarunee did one, a colleague did the other. Both were painless procedures and I haven't had a problem since.

YMMV

@Johpa -- I don't know where you live, but I'm from NYC and I know I can still get a cleaning and exam for $75 there. I wouldn't know where to look to find a $200 dentist. I would still rather get it done here, of course.

A friend just refered me to 'Chiang Mai Dental Hospital' on the [not so]super hiway on the south side of the Mae Rim junction and I just returned from a cleaning [@800thb] and filling 3 holes [@ 2600thb]......not as slick as Grace and little English spoken, but a decent job, I hope. Fillings guaranteed for a year....time will tell.

Thanks for your input.

I agree that Dr Jarunee's prices are more expensive than many other dentists in the CM area, but still cheaper than Grace.

Funny that you mention having fillings replaced there. I had two fillings that had to be replaced in the past two months. Dr Jarunee did one, a colleague did the other. Both were painless procedures and I haven't had a problem since.

YMMV

@Johpa -- I don't know where you live, but I'm from NYC and I know I can still get a cleaning and exam for $75 there. I wouldn't know where to look to find a $200 dentist. I would still rather get it done here, of course.

I live in NYC and my dentist costs $140 for a cleaning, done by the hygienist, not the dentist. My last root canal cost $1400, but that was a few years ago and I am sure it's more now. I look forward to complaining about a 7000 baht root canal after I have lived in Thailand for a while.

Edited by CaptHaddock

YMMV

I live in NYC and my dentist costs $140 for a cleaning, done by the hygienist, not the dentist. My last root canal cost $1400, but that was a few years ago and I am sure it's more now. I look forward to complaining about a 7000 baht root canal after I have lived in Thailand for a while.

It won't take you too long. Earning capacity here is far less - not to mention often non-existent. So 7,000 THB has significantly greater meaning, and fortunately goes a lot farther than in the U.S. I use to think nothing of dropping $100 - 200 on a lunch in the U.S. Now, no way!

I have used the Kitcha Clinic near Chiang Mai gate, not extensively but my experience with quality and price was good.

I've had good service there too. My g/f has as well. We like Dr. Jarunee best for cleaning (very thorough) but for other work Dr. Kitcha is good. Prices have gone up there however since he started advertising in farang publications. Ain't the bargain it used to be!

Do you know, please, whether she, or other staff, haver specific training and experience in regard to childrens teeth?

Do you know, please, whether she, or other staff, haver specific training and experience in regard to childrens teeth?

No, sorry, I have no idea.

Their telephone number is 053.111.299

email address is empressdental - at - hotmail dot com

I had about $3,000 US of dental work done at Elite Smile near the Panthip Plaza. I highly recommend the quality of the facility and the dentists. The prices were very reasonable. compared to Grace Dental. The dental procedures were painless. (In fact, I started calling Dr. Joy "Painless" like the dentist from the old American tv show MASH.) I had one bridge, 2 crowns, a root canal, and multiple fillings done. I highly recommend it. (I used to go to Grace as well but I felt their prices were too high and had too high a turnonver of dentists.) Many of my friends go to Elite as well.

I have never shopped around so I can not comment on the difference in service.

I have always gone to smile clinic located in Pantip plaza. It is a separate entrance located on Chang Klang.

Cost for cleaning was 600 Baht. She replaced one filling for I believe it was 1,200 Baht.

As I said I can not compare but I am very satisfied with the service and price I have received there.