You... You...

Murf

This has happened quite a few times to me. It usually goes like this...

I meet a Thai and a conversation follows in Thai, they never speak English, their English level is far lower than my Thai level (not bragging here)

A situation arises where they need to call you over, and the words that come out of their mouth is "You, you!" and then the rest of the sentence the follows is in Thai.

As a Farang in Thailand are we given the pro noun "you"?... I don't think so, and it comes over as quite rude to me. If speaking English i have never been shouted at, or called over, as "you". I understand in Thai language is acceptable to call someone คุณ and the direct translation for คุณ is "you" I wouldn't class that as being rude. If i was called คุณ or even my name, as it is normal. It would be far better if we are having a conversation in Thai to stick to speaking Thai. Although I can see it is almost certainly a friendly gesture, with no rudeness inclined, a sense that they are trying to meet you half way linguistically but still, it comes over rather rude.

Given that "คุณ คุณ" is a perfectly acceptable and polite way to get somebody's attention in Thai, how could you expect someone who doesn't speak much English to know any better? Just explain that "You, you!" doesn't come across as very polite, and tell them to say "Excuse me" instead. smile.gif

It's the 'Where you going' and 'What you looking for' questions that may be polite in Thai (and other asian cultures) that really get me worked up.

If the TAT information guides out to help us farangs at places like Hua Lamphong station can't even be trained to say 'please can I help you' or 'may I help you' it means that you can't expect the majority of Thais to have an understanding of the cultural niceties that ideally should be observed when dealing with westeners (oops, that should be farangs)

Given that "คุณ คุณ" is a perfectly acceptable and polite way to get somebody's attention in Thai, how could you expect someone who doesn't speak much English to know any better? Just explain that "You, you!" doesn't come across as very polite, and tell them to say "Excuse me" instead. smile.gif

But if the conversation has been solely in Thai, why do they feel the need to revert to English to call you over?

Like i said, call me by shouting คุณ or my name.

Would they like it if i called them "you" rather than พี่ or น้อง or their name? I doubt it.

The "where you go" "what you look for" is common place, and is another example of direct translation from Thai to English and if it was said with a ครับ a the end it would be considered polite. But it is not polite I agree, but I have never heard it after it has been established i can use Thai to communicate.

But if the conversation has been solely in Thai, why do they feel the need to revert to English to call you over?
Thais will also refer to people of Chinese descent (or perceived to be) with Teochew pronouns like 'hìa' (low tone!) meaning older brother, and 'jée' (high tone) meaning older sister. Why do they do it? I can't give you a certain answer but my guesses would be it is partially out of habit, perhaps because they want to be seen as making an effort to speak a little of your language and think that is a positive thing rather than the way you (and I) perceive it, as a way of excluding us.

Thais will also refer to people of Chinese descent (or perceived to be) with Teochew pronouns like 'hìa' (low tone!) meaning older brother, and 'jée' (high tone) meaning older sister. Why do they do it? I can't give you a certain answer but my guesses would be it is partially out of habit, perhaps because they want to be seen as making an effort to speak a little of your language and think that is a positive thing rather than the way you (and I) perceive it, as a way of excluding us.

Hmmmm... good point. I have heard the hia and jay pronouns used, yeah. Not at all impolite, and it usually means the (Chinese Thai) person who is being called has money. A bit like Sir and Madame in English. :D

I disagree and think there is a ceratin degree of jocular rudeness in it, I think they may use you you with you to show other thais that the have a tame farang helping them. Its not necessarily nasty, but maybe desrving of an loud arai and establish eye contact and a smile before you trot over to help.

Or perhaps they just dont know any better, like foreigners who bark out mai aw to polite requests.

Just my 2 satang.

Edited by longway

Don't buy any of these explanations. The Thai word for 'you' has a secondary meaning to it that the English word 'hello' carries; this meaning is to draw the attention of someone, rather than a greeting.

"hello, sorry, you've dropped something"

In other words, a good English-Thai dictionary would have the Thai word for 'you' listed under 'hello' in English as a secondary meaning.

There is no negative sense to it. They are simply directly translating their word to English without noticing a conceptual change in the word use.

I would hafta weigh in on the side that there is NO negativity meant or implied by a recently met thai calling you over by using the engrish word; You. ..

Totally tongue-in-cheek to people who even remotely think its rude, I'd suggest; dialing back your sensitivity-meter a little ;) , wearing a much smaller chip on your shoulder :) , or possibly doublin' up on your meds :blink: ) lol.

Honestly, all seriousness, :o err :whistling: , I mean all joking aside, I wouldn't give it a second thought, as it's no worse than strange Thais hawking stuff calling out to you, "Hey meeter" (hey mister), or "Hey Bod" (hey boss).

On the whole, I've found Thais incredible at facial recognition, often remembering me months after we met, solely by sight! However, I've found them to be at the other end of the proverbial scale when it comes to actually remembering foreigners' names. :(

It took me nearly 3 months of drinking with the same group of Thai guys outside my apartment gate a couple times a week before they could all remember my name. And FWIW; it's just a single syllable name Tod (ท้อด).

I'd just deal with it. .. :D

Edited by tod-daniels

A situation arises where they need to call you over, and the words that come out of their mouth is "You, you!" and then the rest of the sentence the follows is in Thai.

As a Farang in Thailand are we given the pro noun "you"?... I don't think so, and it comes over as quite rude to me. If speaking English i have never been shouted at, or called over, as "you"

For the sake of your sanity, then, never set foot in Vietnam, as you will hear this constantly wherever you go, uttered with that famous Vietnamese aggressiveness and high volume. It sounds like a sergeant with a hangover reprimanding a slovenly private.

I would hafta weigh in on the side that there is NO negativity meant or implied by a recently met thai calling you over by using the engrish word; You. ..

Totally tongue-in-cheek to people who even remotely think it’s rude, I'd suggest; dialing back your sensitivity-meter a little ;) , wearing a much smaller chip on your shoulder :) , or possibly doublin' up on your meds :blink: ) lol.

Honestly, all seriousness, :o err :whistling: , I mean all joking aside, I wouldn't give it a second thought, as it's no worse than strange Thais hawking stuff calling out to you, "Hey meeter" (hey mister), or "Hey Bod" (hey boss).

On the whole, I've found Thais incredible at facial recognition, often remembering me months after we met, solely by sight! However, I've found them to be at the other end of the proverbial scale when it comes to actually remembering foreigners' names. :(

It took me nearly 3 months of drinking with the same group of Thai guys outside my apartment gate a couple times a week before they could all remember my name. And FWIW; it's just a single syllable name Tod (ท้อด).

Excellent reply.

I don't think any rudeness is intended, and try not to get worked up about it. The thing is it does come across as very aggressive if you aren't used to it.

It is also the word of choice for tuk tuk drivers and others trying to rip off tourists - "Hey YOU, where you go? YOU! You want lady? YOUUUUUUUU" and I find that i can't help but feel a bit irritated by it even when it is used by people with no intention of taking you to a tailor's shop or jade store.

Don't buy any of these explanations. The Thai word for 'you' has a secondary meaning to it that the English word 'hello' carries; this meaning is to draw the attention of someone, rather than a greeting.

"hello, sorry, you've dropped something"

In other words, a good English-Thai dictionary would have the Thai word for 'you' listed under 'hello' in English as a secondary meaning.

There is no negative sense to it. They are simply directly translating their word to English without noticing a conceptual change in the word use.

This is it exactly!:jap:

Totally tongue-in-cheek to people who even remotely think it’s rude, I'd suggest; dialing back your sensitivity-meter a little ;) , wearing a much smaller chip on your shoulder :) , or possibly doublin' up on your meds :blink: ) lol.

Excellent reply.

:thumbsup: