Which Way To Transfer?

OK, if I transfer money from Barclays UK to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand via BKK banks London branch, would I be correct in thinking that I would be better off transferring funds from Barclays in Thai Baht to BKK LOndon, when reading this from the site of Bangkok Bank, Londodn, regarding the costs. . . . . . .

EDIT ... I would like to transfer between £250 and £500 per time- if that helps with the calculations :)

You can choose to transfer your funds either in Pounds Sterling or in Thai Baht by selecting the appropriate "clearing service accounts".

Transferring funds in Thai Baht (Conversion in London) – Account number 92 00 10 00

• Bangkok Bank's London branch will deduct a transfer fee of GBP 15.
  • Bangkok Bank's London branch will then covert the funds into Thai Baht using its daily exchange rate in the UK.
  • There is no additional fee deducted by Bangkok Bank in Thailand.
  • Funds will be received in Thailand within five business days after the London branch receives the money transfer from your UK bank account.

Transferring funds in Pounds Sterling (Conversion in Thailand) – Account number 92 00 20 00

• Bangkok Bank's London branch will deduct a transfer fee of GBP 20 before sending the funds in Pounds Sterling to Bangkok Bank in Thailand.
  • Bangkok Bank in Thailand will then convert the funds from Pounds Sterling to Thai Baht using its daily TT buying rate in Thailand.
  • An international fee of 0.25% of the transferred amount will be deducted before crediting funds to the recipient's account (minimum fee 200 Baht, maximum fee 500 Baht per transaction).
  • Funds will be received in Thailand within five business days after the London branch receives the money transfer from your UK bank account.

Any constructive advice is welcome, as I am new to all this. Thanks.

Edited by electrozebra

Do your own research.

Find out the costs and exchange rate of doing it both ways, and then decide.

In my experience asking a UK based bank to exchange quids into ANY currency will give you an APPALLING exchange rate. The UK finance lot may claim to be the world's epicentre, but this is solely due to the vast amount of cash they screw out of the normal guys. In my experience UK banks provide the world's worst service and highest costs.

Transfer in sterling and get a decent exchange rate from your Thai bank. The problem is that there will be a transfer fee from your UK banks. Mine, from 1st Direct is £25 so I transfer larger sums to keep the charges down. Other banks charge less I think.

SO

transfer large sums infrequently in sterling to your Thai bank ( e.g Bangkok bank) and get a much better rate

Like msg, my bank (Nationwide) charge 25 quid. I do believe Halifax have a favorable rate but you would have to check that out.

Transfer sterling for a more favorable exchange this end, tho the UK banks will try to get you to send Baht...

Dont be tempted they have been known to lie.

For such a small amount just use the ATM or over the counter service via Visa in any bank branch, different if you were moving 10k but such a small amount wouldnt warrant the 20 quid plus in fees. That equates to nearly 10% the ATM or over the counter wouldnt be anywhere near that.