Non Immigrant Extension

My one-year retirement visa extension expired on 8 March, and I'm out of the country now, in the US, where I'm a citizen. My visa was single entry, and I did check in with Thai immigration before I left the country. I had intended to return to Thailand earlier but something turned up...

Question: if I return to Thailand at the end of this month or the beginning of next, can I still get an extension on my last visa, the one that expired on 8 March? Or do I have to start all over?

Thanks

From an official Consulate in the US you should be able to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa which would allow up to two years (valid for one and each entry gets one year stay so an entry just prior to expiration). From an honorary Consulate you may be able to obtain a single entry O visa which you can then extend inside Thailand. Or you could enter with visa exempt or tourist visa and change status inside Thailand then then extend (extra step and may have to be done in Bangkok).

I will be staying in Udon Thani. Can I get a 90 day non-immigrant O visa in Laos and then convert it to a one year retirement visa in Thailand?

Thanks

That should work. You will be applying for a one year extension based on retirement. Typically you go in for that 30 days before expiration of the 90 day stay on the O. I assume you know all the financial qualifying options; if using the 800K bank method, the money needs to be seasoned for two months (not three) as this will be a first time extension on your new O visa.