Cold Weather In The North Has Killed More Than 2,000 Head Of Cattle

JoePai

Let me first say I know nothing about cows BUT why are so many dead ? The average temp is 17 they say which, in many parts of (say) Europe, is a heatwave - cows can survive at much lower temps .................... or am I missing something ?

From The Nation :

Unseasonably cold weather in the North has killed more than 2,000 head of cattle in Chiang Mai's Omkoi disฌtrict, with a sharp temperature drop to 7 degrees Celsius in some areas over the past few days.

In Chaiyaphum, where the average temperature has been 17 degrees, farm workers have been advised to make bonfires to keep their cattle warm.

Perhap the cows in Europe are sheltered? I'd assume that those cows currently under a danger in LOS aren't otherwise why would they advise bonfires?

And it's also a matter of acclimitisation; while 17 is nothing for where I'm from (seen -29 without windchill factor...average minimum temp is -8,3) I'd assume that Thai cows are used to 25+ temperatures and couldn't cope with the stress of lower ones; especially as scrawny as most of them seem.

Our cows in Canada could handle -40C cold snaps, and months of -20C but they need more food when it is cold because they use a lot of energy keeping warm. I assume Thai cows get nothing but what they can find on their own.

Also the Asian breeds are likely less robust than the standard beef critters.

I would be interested in knowing the details of the deaths. This time of year is normally much hotter as we approach Songkran, it is also a popular calving period. Here in Isaan a normal cause of death at this time of year is lightning strike, not temperature.

I would guess the 'Nation' has managed to screw up this article, or the numbers are being inflated for possible payment due to a 'state of emergency' (cold weather) being declared.

As mentioned cattle are resilient critters to cold weather.. Saying that, if you add rain to the cold, you have to stay on top of the herd and watch for sickness and then treat as needed.The worst scenario is to have cattle penned up under wet/cold conditions and inadequate feed and water. Doubt if the cold was the cause of death, a contributing factor, ok, but it would take a combination of things to result in death.

Wonder if the man who suggested a fire has ever watched the natural reaction to fire that cattle and for that matter, most animals have?

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess the 'Nation' has managed to screw up this article, or the numbers are being inflated for possible payment due to a 'state of emergency' (cold weather) being declared.

As mentioned cattle are resilient critters to cold weather.. Saying that, if you add rain to the cold, you have to stay on top of the herd and watch for sickness and then treat as needed.The worst scenario is to have cattle penned up under wet/cold conditions and inadequate feed and water. Doubt if the cold was the cause of death, a contributing factor, ok, but it would take a combination of things to result in death.

Wonder if the man who suggested a fire has ever watched the natural reaction to fire that cattle and for that matter, most animals have?

Agree with everything you said Slapout. Not enough information in this story. Sounds a bit like some nutrition/ feed problem with cows being either starved or some toxic combination fed to them. I didn't think of the inflated numbers angle however.