Gaba

Travelish

We are lucky to live in one of the 2 countries in the world where we can buy GABA rice (the other country being Japan, there it is called hatsuga genmai and is a red-hot health food).

GABA stands for Gamma Aminobutyric acid , it is a calming or "peacemaker" chemical in the brain, which induces relaxation, reduces stress and anxiety, and increases focus.

One of the four key neurotransmitters, GABA also serves to keep all the other neurotransmitters in check.

In October 2009, after a sitting life for over 30 years, I started to go to the fitness, and of course the first week was horrible, muscles pains all over my body.

After one week , I went to one of the green events, this one was in the Landmark hotel, and there I met Bryan and Tui, they grow organic rice in Sisaket, and that is where I first heard the term GABA.

I bought a few kilos from the GABA rice and after 2 days, all my muscles pains disappeared, and after one month I ran 8 kilometers in 53 minutes, not bad for a 53 years old :D.

GABA rice is germinated brown rice, that contains higher amounts of amino acids (the building blocks of protein) compared to ordinary brown rice.

But what really has people paying attention to germinated/malted brown rice is that it contains twice as much gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) as ordinary brown rice and ten times as much as white rice.

That's important because research is showing that GABA helps boost the immune system and inhibits the development of cancer cells.

The GABA content of germinated brown rice sold today would be even higher if so much GABA didn't leach out while the rice is soaking in warm water (which has to be changed at least once during the process because of bacteria growth).

After much trial and error, the Shimane Prefecture Agricultural Technology Center has found a solution to this problem.

Their germinated brown rice has a whopping three times as much GABA as germinated brown rice currently on the market.

This brown rice has gobs of GABA! The secret? Germinating the brown rice in green tea.

The researchers theorize that green tea prevents GABA loss in two ways: because of its higher osmotic pressure and because it naturally inhibits the growth of bacteria, thus eliminating the need to change the water during germination.

One also has to surmise that the green tea also acts like a natural plant-growth stimulator—after all, many Japanese pour leftover green tea on their houseplants and use old tea leaves as a garden fertilizer.

Finally, brown rice germinated in green tea obviously absorbs the tea's polyphenols and other good stuff.

So, Bryan and Tui decided to soak their rice in green tea as well and since then I eat every day organic brown green tea GABA rice and I clearly feel the difference.

On your good health

Gee

Not wanting to spoil your fun, but its quite normal that muscle pain is heavy in onset and dissipates later. You cant link GABA rice to that. Im sure its healthy but else all top bodybuilders would use that instead of steroids.

I have eaten GABA rice too and its just like any other rice, i do work out a lot and heave too and did not feel any added benefits. That does not mean there are none because i take plenty of supplements that don't immediately have results.

Im just stating that your claim is a bit good to be true. That the rice can be good but the dissipating of the muscle pain an natural event was.