Buying A Cellphone In Chiang Mai?

Yelly

We're going to be arriving on April 21 to Chiang Mai to take our TEFL course. We've heard mixed reviews about acquiring a cell phone there - either it's really expensive or it's not.

My husband is convinced he should buy a cell phone that takes a SIM card over here (USA) and then bring that to Thailand. I don't really know. Are cell phones affordable there? What are we looking at spending?

It's just hard to figure out. I imagine those of you already living in Chiang Mai might be able to help!

Easy to buy a cell phone here, and not that expensive. I have a nice Samsung flip phone with no camera and it was only 900 baht new. Wife has a 5000 baht phone that does internet, has a camera, etc. The risk you have with buying one in the USA is that it might be locked to only US GSM systems. Buy one here and you know it will work.

That's what I figured. I have a very basic cellphone here in the USA and so does he. We don't need the internet at our fingertips at all times or anything like that. We just want to be able to make and receive calls and send the occasional text to one another.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Something like 8 years ago I looked for phone using a SIM card specifically to be able to use it in Thailand. I seem to remember that only T-Mobile had one on a pay as you go plan, no contract.

When I finally did move here, I had to have it unlocked. Cost about $10.

My wife bought her cell phone, a Samsung, after we moved here.

We went back to the U.S. to visit last summer and swapped out the Thai SIM cards for U.S. ones (just happened to be T-Mobile again). Both phones worked with no adjustments needed, just the local SIM cards.

A month ago we went to Singapore and swapped SIM cards one more time. Phones worked.

So, I would say if your current phones use SIM cards, just plan on using them. Small fee to unlock. If your current phones do not, then buy one here. If you shop around, you might find some very simple ones on sale for as low at 700 baht ($20-$25); we did (bought them for relatives). There are used ones available, if you effectively want a "throw away". If you want a keeper, still buy it here. They are cheaper than in the U.S. and no contracts.

Yelly-- Fellow traveler here. I have wireless on the farm and wireless in my apt--don't need it on my pphone for the motorcycle ride commute. I just bought a really nice Nokia second hand new 2500, I paid 790. There is a used cell phone (called handphones here) in Kad Suan Keaw Mall on Huay Keaw Roda. I know these words sound alien to you back in the world but you they will be rolling off your tongue here.

Send me a private message when you get here and I'll help you get thephone you need--never trust a youngster or anyone who talks about "G's when buying a phone. I would suggest that you get a good camera on your phone-- pixel count is key--as it will eliminate the need for you to carry a camera and a phone. You will see stuff here that needs to be photographed to be believed.

Edited by WtFugarwe

Ok! We arrive late on April 21, so I know we'll be trying to figure things out on the 22nd. We intend to get phones and go to the grocery on the 22nd and then rest the weekend before TEFL classes start.