Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

"Many older foreigners seem to marry Thai women so they can stay in Thailand under less strict requirements. Instead of needing to meet the requirements of 800,000 baht in the bank they only have to show 400,000 baht a year when married to a Thai. Additionally, many of these people seem to come to Thailand simply to marry much younger girls. In many cases they are old enough to be their father. I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women. If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand," Tawatchai Suksoom of the Ministry of Interior stated.

When was the last time you heard any Thai, even a Ministry official, speak English so elegantly and with perfect sense. Great April's Fools joke.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I don't have the energy to laugh, because I actually lost a night's sleep. In Europe at the moment, I saw the message alert just before logging out of my email account for the night. Tired from a stressful day, it actually sickened me, and I am feeling the consequence of sleep deprevation.

So for me, two things have been lost:

1. an important night's sleep.

2. My trust in Thaivisa.com as a credible news source.

One would not have this happen on either CNN or the BBC. It should not happen here.

Some notable BBC pranks:

And what of the potential impact to Thailand when a large number of 'non nationals' 'exist' here without adequate funds ?

This is not about older Western guys dating younger Thai women. The retirement Visa has not been removed. Emotional response aside, like it or not there is an aspect of fathomable logic to this proposal.

IF we can't afford to remain in Thailand we have a Nation of Birth to return to. While realism, practicality and idealism may be divided, the simple fact is if that we are a potential burden to the society (by means of limited funds as indicated by 'Bank-balance on Visa Application') we then theoretically have a Social Welfare system to fall back on.

This is not Racism or any other emotional name one may wish to offer - Its simply practicality or possibly even foresight - There are a lot of Non Nationals who without the equivalent of commonwealth rights may choose to short-circuit the system. Now however, the system is furnishing that loop with an additional policy.

Perhaps a poll could in some way quantify the true potential impact: If passed, would this proposal prevent you from being able to stay in Thailand ?

Maybe Someone Thaivisa.com savvy enough..... 33 pages worth of potential impact here........

I live here, and am married to a woman close to my own age. Having said that, I know plenty of older guys married to women a lot younger than they and in some cases it seems to work ok,

While it may not a shining example of a meeting of minds or mutual attraction, it works in a mutually supportive kind of way.

What I don't understand is the older guy (60 plus in a lot of cases) having children. They make various arguments as to why it is not a bad thing, however, at the end of the day you are going to have a child

that is going to be left fatherless at a relatively young age, and that is not fair on the child.

".............a child that is going to be left fatherless at a relatively young age............"

As this appears to be the case with half the kids in thailand, mainly because the thai dad has done a disappearing act, it hardly seems a reason to stop a marriage.

This being a April`s fools joke has come as a great disappointment to my over 50s farang friends.

Many had taken they`re Thai wife`s into a police station claiming that these women are breaking the law and should be locked up. But were quickly enlightened that the whole thing was a prank and have now been lumbered with their wife`s again.

This being a April`s fools joke has come as a great disappointment to my over 50s farang friends.

Many had taken they`re Thai wife`s into a police station claiming that these women are breaking the law and should be locked up. But were quickly enlightened that the whole thing was a prank and have now been lumbered with their wife`s again.

:lol:

Just saw this headline when checking my email and can't believe how many people fell for it. I thought one of the first replies would call it, if not the first, but the whole first page didn't!(I haven't read the rest)

Don't all farang countries have April Fools Day?

I'm surprised Thais haven't caught on to this day. I tried to explain it to my girl last year and she remembered it this year (without playing a trick). Mind you, maybe it's good that they haven't, given what they do to Valentine's day. Sending "Happy Valentine's Day" messages to each other, ever-so-slightly missing the point....:blink::ermm:

Loved the prank and read every page. What simply amazes me though is the number of people who supported this or made comments about the grandpas with the young ladies. All I can say is that is part of what makes thailand so wonderful. I learned to leave my hyprocritical western values behind a few years back. It's thailand sit back and enjoy the ride.

I never understood why a single retired person, supporting on himself in this example, has to have twice as much money in the bank to qualify for a visa (800,000) as a married man (400,000) to support 2 people & possibly kids, the parents & the odd auntie, not to mention all the sick buffalo's.

Thai logic my friend :rolleyes:

Guys, it is the 1st of April...April fools day? Some of you will believe anything.

155 posts before someone realized this was a joke!! That has to be some kind of Thaivisa record! Here we are post 800+ and still some people are discussing it. The beauty of this and any good joke is it's believability. We know Cambodia has done this (unless that was a set-up for this joke?) and we are constantly bombarded by nonsensical statements and policy by the government here. I have to admit I fell for it at first even when I was on the look out for gag posts due to previous April 1st's, but what gave it away were the reasons given for the law were stated as very different from Cambo (worries about trafficking)

Happy 1st all! (Still is here in the states.)

Edited by ScubaBuddha

can't believe how many people fell for it. I thought one of the first replies would call it, if not the first, but the whole first page didn't!

the great majority just played the game to the page 34.

the rule of the game is not to mention the date

When was the last time you heard any Thai, even a Ministry official, speak English so elegantly and with perfect sense.

That rather depends on what sort of Thai you mix with. There are quite a few who went to school and university in English-speaking countries.

We know Cambodia has done this (unless that was a set-up for this joke?) and we are constantly bombarded by nonsensical statements and policy by the government here. I have to admit I fell for it at first even when I was on the look out for gag posts due to previous April 1st's, but what gave it away were the reasons given for the law were stated as very different from Cambo (worries about trafficking)

Actually Cambo talked about it - not law yet. :D

Loved the prank and read every page. What simply amazes me though is the number of people who supported this or made comments about the grandpas with the young ladies. All I can say is that is part of what makes thailand so wonderful. I learned to leave my hyprocritical western values behind a few years back. It's thailand sit back and enjoy the ride.

Not many posts Will. BUT you are on the money with your post, I would lay odds that the vast majority of falangs that come here have a common denominator.....and guess what it starts with a W.....but many who dont experience it would say we are fools and not just on the first of april...............

I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women.

Seems some people really do have their heads in the clouds.

:D

Man I laughted so much I cried...

The stupidity of this idea is unfathomable! :o

But a 50yr old Thai woman can marry a 15 year old Thai man

In addition a 60yr old Thai man can marry a 20yr old Thai movie star and it happened just 4 months ago.... Oh but he is rich so it is ok

Why all the discrimination ? <_<

Guys, it is the 1st of April...April fools day? Some of you will believe anything.

155 posts before someone realized this was a joke!! That has to be some kind of Thaivisa record! Here we are post 800+ and still some people are discussing it. The beauty of this and any good joke is it's believability. We know Cambodia has done this (unless that was a set-up for this joke?) and we are constantly bombarded by nonsensical statements and policy by the government here. I have to admit I fell for it at first even when I was on the look out for gag posts due to previous April 1st's, but what gave it away were the reasons given for the law were stated as very different from Cambo (worries about trafficking)

Happy 1st all! (Still is here in the states.)

yes quite so, I thought the name of the minister of interior name was suspect Thwat chai Sooksoom, everybody has met a &lt;deleted&gt; in their lives ,and sooksoon is a Thai word for misbehaving.

I bet George is sitting in a bar right now, drink in hand, laughing his ass off at all the red faces in here lol

Certainly not. :drunk::burp:

Methinks he doth protest too much <grins>

24 hours later, 34 pages and this juggernaut of paranoia and stupidity is still rolling along ........

can't believe how many people fell for it. I thought one of the first replies would call it, if not the first, but the whole first page didn't!

the great majority just played the game to the page 34.

the rule of the game is not to mention the date

you give far to much intellectual credit to the contributors on this thread and its not much of a defense for being proven to be a fool........

Londonthai said -4th post after OP launch

Posted Yesterday, 07:08

quick, before they pass this law.

you can easily divorce anytime in the future.

on the second thought, over 50 you can get a retirement visa, no need to marry

Posted Yesterday, 07:32

should be said by now: "thailand, the hub of law"

Edited by timekeeper

Probably bought up here somewhere, but I'm not going to go through 34 pages!

After declaring it a joke as soon as I read the headline my post was removed so has anyone actually correlated the numbers and come up with a percentage of respondents who picked it straight away?