Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

whats the problem?

1 at the moment.....SPECULATION .... NO LAW PASSED

2 We have a choice to get married or NOT

3 We are GUESTS here nothing else...

4 its there country not ours...

5........ ..................up to you ?............:lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whats the problem?

1 at the moment.....SPECULATION .... NO LAW PASSED

2 We have a choice to get married or NOT

3 We are GUESTS here nothing else...

4 its there country not ours...

5........ ..................up to you ?............:lol:

You also have a choice to LOOK AT THE CALENDAR!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I live here, and am married to a woman close to my own age. Having said that, I know plenty of older guys married to women a lot younger than they and in some cases it seems to work ok,

While it may not a shining example of a meeting of minds or mutual attraction, it works in a mutually supportive kind of way.

What I don't understand is the older guy (60 plus in a lot of cases) having children. They make various arguments as to why it is not a bad thing, however, at the end of the day you are going to have a child

that is going to be left fatherless at a relatively young age, and that is not fair on the child.

Yes I must agree with much of the above, I now personally know many situations where the children now have no father due to their deaths. Including suicide where the young wife has bled them dry of all their resources (in many cases this being several millions of baht) taken everything they have worked all their lives for, then traded them in for someone with more money! Sad but true. The burden to Thailand is where, may I ask???? We pay taxes In most cases on more than we earn, to enable us to work legally with a work permit. Or businesses are bought for the Thai partner to run, something many of these people would have no hope of achieving without their so called burden of a spouse. In living here many foreigners also bring tourist friends to visit a country they otherwise probably wouldnt choose to visit, especially in light of recent political unrest. Personally I think they will do the Burdening Foreigners or is it Aliens they call us???A great big favor in stopping marriage to over 50's, just another short sighted Thai way is better mentality. lets face it how many under 50's do you see getting caught up in the honey trap. The percentage of over 50's is way higher. Please dont get me wrong I dont feel sorry for these men/ occasional women that fall for the game. More fool them for being silly enough to believe that it isnt a marriage of convenience on both sides in the majority of cases. Saying all of this my step mother is 4 years younger than myself and a beautiful lovely person that I believe my father lucky to have found, they do have a few disagreements through culture differences, but generally they are happy and I do believe love each other. She is well provided for, as are her children from a past marriage and the rest of all her relatives, and will inherit several millions of baht on his death, as his view is she takes care of him well, and is truly one of our family. So I know that not all marriages are of convenience and there are a minority of genuine happy people out there and I wish them the best of luck. I have some lovely Thai friends whom share the same opinion as myself. So my conclusion is "Som nam na" to those who make these rules, because at the end of the day it is their own people that will suffer in the long run.April Fools joke or not, it was an opportunity to have my say :rolleyes:

Edited by finflixmaria

Threads like this just go to show how low the IQ of the average TV reader has fallen. A blindingly obvious, uninventive April Fool and people actually take it seriously.

Still, a quick read through the posts gives me a load of users to ignore any further comments from on the grounds of their gullibility and lack of common sense.

Folks keep discussing the joke like it's real. Did it turn into a religion?

Ok, so it's probably an April Fools joke, and a good one at that. Nevertheless, it's brought up a lot of interesting issues. It's good to have these discussions. That's all for me for now, there's a girl's pleading voice calling me from the other room - I've got to go back to the couch and bounce a 17 yr old candy-assed gal on my knee.

Why? In what way would it be good for you? Or do you just like to see others suffer?

How about for the good of society (long term) For the good of family values, the wellbeing of children being born in to sham marriages where one of their parent won't get to see them graduate because they will be dead. For the good of normal decent behaviour, fitting of a real man with principles, pride and self respect.

In reality the law would never work. In theory it is needed.

Foreigners are ripped off, beaten, scammed, cheated on a daily basis...and they worry about their sweet little innocent smiling Thai virgins??

What a hoot.....Maybe at last we have some protection!

Only some! And I think you'll find, it's the ones who have put themselves in a position where they deserve everything they get.

I live here, and am married to a woman close to my own age. Having said that, I know plenty of older guys married to women a lot younger than they and in some cases it seems to work ok,

While it may not a shining example of a meeting of minds or mutual attraction, it works in a mutually supportive kind of way.

What I don't understand is the older guy (60 plus in a lot of cases) having children. They make various arguments as to why it is not a bad thing, however, at the end of the day you are going to have a child

that is going to be left fatherless at a relatively young age, and that is not fair on the child.

".............a child that is going to be left fatherless at a relatively young age............"

As this appears to be the case with half the kids in thailand, mainly because the thai dad has done a disappearing act, it hardly seems a reason to stop a marriage.

Brilliant logic. There are already fatherless children in Thailand as a result of poor excuses for Thai men. So that means logically it must be OK to create a few more. Selfish scum bags.

I wonder how some Thais might feel about this law?

Most, if not all, of the ones I have asked about it, thinks it's a joke. Typical Govt. grandstanding. The Thai's I talk to say, doesn't the govt. understand, that's it's farangs over 50, who have the nice retirement income which supports the Thai wife and most of her family. Most, not all, farangs under 50 haven't retired yet and even if you are, most govt. pensions don't kick in until your over 60, most times, over 65.

Threads like this just go to show how low the IQ of the average TV reader has fallen. A blindingly obvious, uninventive April Fool and people actually take it seriously.

Still, a quick read through the posts gives me a load of users to ignore any further comments from on the grounds of their gullibility and lack of common sense.

agreed

backfromouterspace said:

Posted Yesterday, 07:57

If Thailand is going to start implementing laws originally proposed in other nearby nations then surely the 2009 amendment to Burmas Marriage Act that made divorce possible basically on the grounds that one partner had irreversibly let themselves go to seed since entering wedlock would be the best to follow. The Burmese have the right idea, age isn't important, but this amendment makes it possible for wither husband or wife to ditch their couch potato of a partner.

I wonder how some Thais might feel about this law?

Most, if not all, of the ones I have asked about it, thinks it's a joke. Typical Govt. grandstanding. The Thai's I talk to say, doesn't the govt. understand, that's it's farangs over 50, who have the nice retirement income which supports the Thai wife and most of her family. Most, not all, farangs under 50 haven't retired yet and even if you are, most govt. pensions don't kick in until your over 60, most times, over 65.

its is a joke

it was always a joke

its an APRIL FOOL

you talked to Thais about it?

jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

In THAILAND Hundreds of Britons protested in Thailand yesterday against new laws preventing any foreigner over the age of 50 from marrying a Thai woman - before they were told that they were the victim of an April FoolS Day prank.

A news item on the Thai website Thaivisa.com said the laws were introduced and a bill would be passed through parliament on May 1st. Ministry of Interior spokesman Tawatchai Suksoom was quoted as saying: 'Many older foreigners seem to marry Thai women so they can stay in Thailand under less strict requirements. Instead of needing to meet the requirements of 800,000 baht in the bank they only have to show 400,000 baht a year when married to a Thai.

'Additionally, many of these people seem to come to Thailand simply to marry much younger girls. In many cases they are old enough to be their father. I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women. If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand.'

Over 650 foreigners, mainly Britons wrote in to complain, accusing the government of being amongst other things racist and abusing human rights.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1372297/April-Fools-Day-2011-Best-world-round-up.html#ixzz1IKAQrgCF

In THAILAND Hundreds of Britons protested in Thailand yesterday against new laws preventing any foreigner over the age of 50 from marrying a Thai woman - before they were told that they were the victim of an April FoolS Day prank.

A news item on the Thai website Thaivisa.com said the laws were introduced and a bill would be passed through parliament on May 1st. Ministry of Interior spokesman Tawatchai Suksoom was quoted as saying: 'Many older foreigners seem to marry Thai women so they can stay in Thailand under less strict requirements. Instead of needing to meet the requirements of 800,000 baht in the bank they only have to show 400,000 baht a year when married to a Thai.

'Additionally, many of these people seem to come to Thailand simply to marry much younger girls. In many cases they are old enough to be their father. I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women. If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand.'

Over 650 foreigners, mainly Britons wrote in to complain, accusing the government of being amongst other things racist and abusing human rights.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1IKAQrgCF

like i said yesterday, once this gets out all the world will know what complete numpty expats have chosen to live here

unfortunately it seems it was mostly my countrymen who demonstrated their intellectual dexterity

as if we Brits weren't a big enough source of jokes already........

Edited by timekeeper

INTERESTING......It seems that its not really the local thais that has a issue about older farang guys marrying younger Thai girls or having younger thai bfs but rather the farang community themselves. Thais on the whole could not care less as long its not some educated and decent family whose daughter is involved. Otherwise no one cares a hoots and the same goes for the rest of the Asian Foreigners here. They simply do not care . Yes , there is occassionally the giggles and jokes but thats all. Its the farang community among themselves who have an issue with their own kind. Just look at some of the replies on this thread.

LOL!

INTERESTING......It seems that its not really the local thais that has a issue about older farang guys marrying younger Thai girls or having younger thai bfs but rather the farang community themselves. Thais on the whole could not care less as long its not some educated and decent family whose daughter is involved. Otherwise no one cares a hoots and the same goes for the rest of the Asian Foreigners here. They simply do not care . Yes , there is occassionally the giggles and jokes but thats all. Its the farang community among themselves who have an issue with their own kind. Just look at some of the replies on this thread.

LOL!

its April the 2nd

give it a rest........

LOL!

Thai people are more tolerent by nature, and often won't be as aggressive when sharing their opinions. But if you think normal, decent Thai people don't think that relationships between old men and bar girls are distasteful and abnormal, then you are very much mistaken.

You said, the same goes for the rest of the Asian foreigners' What are you basing this on? Have you discussed this with lots of Koreans lately?

Edited by BangTaoBoy

Yes. Thailand should bring in this law to prohibit older Farangs and other foreigners from marrying very young women .

I have seen some farangs with young wives who could be their grand daughters!.

Laos and Cambodia have enacted these law: why not Thailand.

Prohibit marriage by law it's really stupid move as if indeed they want to get married they can go to any other country. What about a Thai lady in her 45 and a farang in 55?

Instead, Thailand should educate it's young girls how to earn a decent living by work and education, and not be forced to marry a old farangs for the money sake.

LOL!

Thai people are more tolerent by nature, and often won't be as aggressive when sharing their opinions. But if you think normal, decent Thai people don't think that relationships between old men and bar girls are distasteful and abnormal, then you are very much mistaken.

You said, the same goes for the rest of the Asian foreigners' What are you basing this on? Have you discussed this with lots of Koreans lately?

Would this be the same tolerant Thai people who accept an older Thai man may have a mia noi, that Thai men may regularly visit karaoke, I guess they all just love to sing.........:whistling:

But perhaps you do not think this normal and decent?

BUMP!

Edited by timekeeper

LOL!

I have worked in Thailand for the Thai government and military and private institutions. I have done so for many years. One thing I find in common with all the people I have worked for and bus drivers and barbers and bosses, they all try and fix me up with a young woman. In one case even twins. The Koreans I have known have not tried to fix me up with anyone. My daughter went to college in Japan and no one there tried to fix me up with anyone. China, I have only worked in Taipei and I did get a few offers there.

The professional people I have known in Thailand have been more likely to fix me up with a woman in her late 20's with a child or two. The laboring classes have gone a bit younger.

I would say the average age the local amateur matchmakers come up with is about 30 years younger than I.

The Thai men that I know mostly have a young mia noi but that relationship is kept separate from the family life. Although known it is discreet. In other words the eldest son certainly knows Pop has an 18 year old squeeze but they really don't talk about it.

I have seen some variances to this and one man I know is quite open about it as they all work together in his business but mostly it is on the hush.

In general I would say it is more accepted in Thailand to have a younger wife or significant other than in the West. This is especially prevalent in rural areas where entertainment is more family oriented and less age differences are apparent on festive occasions. When I go to a concert or club it is not unusual to see a 40 year age spread in people attending.

I know a lot of people who post on Thai Visa live in Bangkok where there is more separation of age groups in recreation and it may be difficult to understand that out in the sticks persons from three generations like the same kind of music and social activities.

In the Big Smoke I may feel odd going to RCA but in Nakon Nowhere everybody dances to the same kind of country music.

BUMP!

Yeah yeah we know about the april fool on the legislation, but the topic has moved into some areas of discussion that are linked, but not about if there is an incoming law about over 50s marrying or not. I guess you have to actually read what is being written in the responses to pick up on that.......:)

Yes. Thailand should bring in this law to prohibit older Farangs and other foreigners from marrying very young women .

I have seen some farangs with young wives who could be their grand daughters!.

Laos and Cambodia have enacted these law: why not Thailand.

Prohibit marriage by law it's really stupid move as if indeed they want to get married they can go to any other country. What about a Thai lady in her 45 and a farang in 55?

Instead, Thailand should educate it's young girls how to earn a decent living by work and education, and not be forced to marry a old farangs for the money sake.

Oh,weet Jesus.

Edited by baboon

Remember in thailand you are a vistor and dollars and nothing else if believe believer other you are a fool

Are you a Thai pretending to be a foreigner? Your spelling and grammar is so poor.

Regardless, I am not a visitor in Thailand. I pay my visa and work permit to the government for the privilege to live here. I don't owe you or any Thai anything. I am not a guest in this country as I pay tax, social security, etc.

I am a foreigner that pays more to the Thai government then most Thai people. So no, I am not a guest, I am a contributor of wealth to the government and expected to be treated the same as other contributors to the country.