Income Tax Refund Check

I was considering doing direct deposit to Bangkok Bank of my pension check.

If I did, I would not have a stateside bank anymore.

Is there any place in Thailand that I can cash a US Treasure Dept Income Tax Refund check?

Generally, unless the bank manager knows you well, no bank in Thailand will accept a US Treasury check -- not even for collection. If you are known and have a long established account history, you are probably out of luck.

A number of years ago, there was a small, cottage industry here, counterfeiting Treasury checks. These people would produce a check and use it to open an account at a bank. Then, before it came back, they would withdraw the money. When the bounced check did come back, the depositor was long gone and the bank was stuck. This happened to all the banks, at one time or another, so they all just refused to take Treasury checks.

You should keep a U.S. bank account and have any tax refund, pension, or other checks deposited there. Then transfer the money to a local bank or just use the U.S. bank ATM card.

Richard,

What a lot of US retirees living in Thailand do is open a Bangkok Bank account in New York and have their SS or pension checks deposited there. Then Bkk Bank New York will wire transfer the funds to you here in Thailand to your Bkk Bank account. If you set this up as a monthly transfer then they will give you a lower transfer charge. I think it's around 200 B instead of the usual 400. You can get this info from any Bangkok Bank but I would recommend you go to a branch that deals with farangs as they probably will be more familiar with doing this.

As far as that Treasury check as long as your not in any hurry for the money, Bkk Bank will cash it.

I would also recommend you keep a bank account in the U.S. On the 1040 return you can choose to directly (and electronically) deposit your refund into your U.S. bank account (ABA routing number required). For any checks I receive I just use a deposit slip and mail it back to the U.S. for deposit.