Blatant Theft Of Copywrite Material

lannachiangrai

Take a look at this http://www.lostinthailand.com/thailand-gui...eal-estate.html. Then take a look at this - http://lannarealty.com/faq.php #4. They are the same! I wrote the text for lannarealty.com but I now see it in lostinthailand's website. They copied it directly from me without giving any credit and when I contacted them I got the standard answer "we are looking into it and will get back to you" which they never did. Is there anything I can do?

I notice this isn't an isolated incident - http://www.lostinthailand.com/thailand-gui...chiang-rai.html and http://www.thailand-lawyer.com/land_purphase.html - probably lots more!

(Sorry, title should be copyright not copywrite)

Edited by lannachiangrai

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've been diddled.

But you may have an uphill struggle.

I got ripped off by outfits here called Zoom Bangkok and Biz Art. They commissioned a piece of written work, sent me a dud cheque for it (making my pregnant wife go halfway across Bangkok to her bank to collect it), then turned the phone off.

Of course the piece was published, they made a few tiny changes to it, and they kept all the money.

Edited by The_Moog

Same thing has happened to me on numerous websites. But usually they give me a credit (byline) for what it's worth.

Moog... it's a bit hard putting a copyright on every single article if you are a professional writer and pump out several stories a week.

Would welcome any suggestions if anyone has an idea of web copyright legalities?

Just out of curiosity does writing for a website require a workpermit?

I think it is a fair enough question!

I'm not an immigration lawyer, but I would guess that if you are writing for and being paid by a Thai company a work permit would be required, since "all work, paid or unpaid, requires a work permit."

But.... due to the global nature of the net, it is easily possible to be sitting in Thailand writing content for websites in other countries. Would this require a Thai work permit? A work permit from the country where the site is registered?

How would anyone ever know / catch you out?

The OP claims he wrote the text for Lannarealty.com. The other site copied his text. Now if he wants to claim something from the other site he probably has to prove that he wrote the original article. Assuming Lannarealty.com is a thai based site and he wrote the article for them while in Thailand wouldn't that be considered working and as such require the proper workpermit.

Maybe the OP has a workpermit I don't know but if he doesn't he better think twice before he start stirring the shit.

Alright, so do our Moddies have to have Work Permits then....after all they're working on a Thai website

I think that .co.th would be the only sites that could be considered "Thai" as they are registered here. sites registered as .com are US registered, so I think that they would not fall under the jurisdiction of Thailand.

The OP claims he wrote the text for Lannarealty.com. The other site copied his text. Now if he wants to claim something from the other site he probably has to prove that he wrote the original article. Assuming Lannarealty.com is a thai based site and he wrote the article for them while in Thailand wouldn't that be considered working and as such require the proper workpermit.

Maybe the OP has a workpermit I don't know but if he doesn't he better think twice before he start stirring the pot

Dear Khun Meom,

Excellent reply. I completly agree that before giving advise on this topic, there should be clear picture of the situation.

Often, many people bend, ignore or break laws to benefit their business, and then when someone does the same that effects their business, the "cry foul" and seek restitution from the same "system" they were bending, ignoring, or breaking rules, regulations or laws.

This is often called the doctrine of "clean hands"..... and it is actually very important to understand the answer to your excellent question before "stirring the pot" on this topic.

May I repeat your question:

Is the original poster a farang, working in Thailand, with a valid work permit?

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

Edited by Mr. Farang

Maybe the OP has a workpermit I don't know but if he doesn't he better think twice before he start stirring the shit.

The real question is, who owns the rights to what was written. Even if he wrote it, does it means he has the copyright? I would imagine, as a layman, that if a company hires a writer to write something and they publish it on their site, then the company owns the rights to it, not the author. If that is the case, there's nothing he can do about it.

married, kids, work permit . . . got it all

so, can we get back to the question if there is any recourse?

Dear Khun Lannachiangrai.

Excellent, thank for clarifying.

If I was in your situation I would spend a few hundred Baht and visit a Thai attorney who specialized in intellectural property (IP) rights in Thailand.

Ultimately these types of situations condense down to economic considerations... is the IP in question worth considerable more than the legal costs to enforce.

I spend many thousands of dollars each years on an IP attorney, a very good one, to enforce my trademark rights, BTW. I consider this a core cost of doing business.

Best Wishes and Good Luck.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

Edited by Mr. Farang

Wow, this post is getting to damed heavy.

I was ripped off loades of times in the UK, especially for artworkk I designed and published in my magazines only to see the same advert in a rival publication.

Court action was too time consuming so a letter got fired off, then another company would do the same thing, it was a never ending circle, so what do you do, if you cant beat em, join em, so thats what I did, ripped some of theirs off.

thats the way it goes

The real question is, who owns the rights to what was written.

A WHOIS search reveals that lostinthailand.com is registered to a company in London, England. They would be responsible for the content displayed on their site, regardless of who wrote it / where it came from.

A friend of mine who lives in the UK and runs a .co.uk website was successful in having stolen content removed from another .co.uk website by sending them a cease and desist letter from a UK barrister. Maybe the OP has some recourse in a similar fashion?

The real question is, who owns the rights to what was written.

A WHOIS search reveals that lostinthailand.com is registered to a company in London, England. They would be responsible for the content displayed on their site, regardless of who wrote it / where it came from.

A friend of mine who lives in the UK and runs a .co.uk website was successful in having stolen content removed from another .co.uk website by sending them a cease and desist letter from a UK barrister. Maybe the OP has some recourse in a similar fashion?

Dear Khun Bino,

Excellent reply.

International IP enforcement can be very expensive. Cease-and-desist letters work, about 1 in 10 times in domestic situations, rarely in cross-border, cross-culture matters, but it is worth a try and is the normal "first action" to take.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

Edited by Mr. Farang