German Food For Me

actiondell4

theres not only the difference between Austrian, German and Swiss Food,

also the german food is prepared different, depending on the regional cuisiene.

Berliner Bistro, Soi 13

the duck for 219 baht on Wednesday,

Berliner Restaurant, Naklua Road, near Baracuda Bar,

they come from East Berlin, and are cooking east german style,

(till 1989 very limited access seasonings, but solid)

Schnitzel Haus Jomtien,Beach Road, Soi 5

http://www.schnitzelhaus-jomtien.de.tl/So-finden-Sie-uns.htm

very basic decoration

Naklua Soi 33 new german restaurants are opening every 3 month (and also closing)

"Bei Gerhard" Soi 31 Naklua Road,

this restaurant is the main meetingpoint of german expats in pattaya.

sometimes, the thai service-girls are not very well instructed by german non-thai-speaking restaurant owners

I disagree.

There is not much Swiss food except raclette fondue, röschti, zürcher geschnetzeltes and some processed foods like veal bratwurst, saucisson vaudois and other wursts and dried meat.

It tastes generally bland if compared to German and Austrian food.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres not only the difference between Austrian, German and Swiss Food,

also the german food is prepared different, depending on the regional cuisiene.

Berliner Bistro, Soi 13

the duck for 219 baht on Wednesday,

Berliner Restaurant, Naklua Road, near Baracuda Bar,

they come from East Berlin, and are cooking east german style,

(till 1989 very limited access seasonings, but solid)

Schnitzel Haus Jomtien,Beach Road, Soi 5

http://www.schnitzelhaus-jomtien.de.tl/So-finden-Sie-uns.htm

very basic decoration

Naklua Soi 33 new german restaurants are opening every 3 month (and also closing)

"Bei Gerhard" Soi 31 Naklua Road,

this restaurant is the main meetingpoint of german expats in pattaya.

sometimes, the thai service-girls are not very well instructed by german non-thai-speaking restaurant owners

I disagree.

There is not much Swiss food except raclette fondue, röschti, zürcher geschnetzeltes and some processed foods like veal bratwurst, saucisson vaudois and other wursts and dried meat.

I guess you knowledge about Swiss food is "bland" at best. You may learn some basics by reading here: Wiki Swiss Cuisine

I guess you knowledge about Swiss food is "bland" at best. You may learn some basics by reading here: Wiki Swiss Cuisine

haha, I was almost sure to see a reply like that :-)

I almost thought about anticipating it in my post, but then I thought I'd just wait for it!

The Swiss, especially the Swiss-Germans have a natural reflex to defend their Swissness against all criticism. And promptly, CHdiver replied. Fair enough!

:wai:

I read the page you suggested and was only comforted in my opinion, I invite other readers to check that page too.

Not only is the list of "receipes" rather very short on that page, but over half of the stuff listed there are processed foods, not cuisine.

Of course there are in Switzerland some good wines and some good cheeses (but less so since Swiss Law now forbids using raw milk).

*I have been living in Switzerland for more than 12 years...

Edited by manarak

haha, I was almost sure to see a reply like that :-)

I almost thought about anticipating it in my post, but then I thought I'd just wait for it!

The Swiss, especially the Swiss-Germans have a natural reflex to defend their Swissness against all criticism. And promptly, CHdiver replied. Fair enough!

:wai:

I read the page you suggested and was only comforted in my opinion, I invite other readers to check that page too.

Not only is the list of "receipes" rather very short on that page, but over half of the stuff listed there are processed foods, not cuisine.

Of course there are in Switzerland some good wines and some good cheeses (but less so since Swiss Law now forbids using raw milk).

*I have been living in Switzerland for more than 12 years...

thats funny

Based on this thread, I tried Domicil for the first time. Sorry, I can't give a glowing report.

Got the set menu, veg cream soup, roast pork, dumplings, red cabbage/sauerkraut combo, coffee

The soup had no flavor, ate about 1/3 of it then realized not worth the calories.

The platter was OK. The pork meat was a bit small in portion and much more fatty than I have gotten at other German places offering roast pork. The dumplings were big but bland. My main complaint, which in retrospect I should have complained about to get it reheated, is that the platter was served lukewarm. The dumplings especially would have been much more palatable properly warmed.

The red cabbage/sauerkraut combo OK, how can you mess that up?

Ice cream or coffee offered to finish, weak coffee made the mistake of pouring in the "cream" which turned out to be non-dairy creamer which I hate.

Please don't say it must be because I don't like German food, because that's not true. I like GOOD German food very much.

Not a rip off at 255 baht but nothing to write home about to Deustchland either. Believe it or not, I might go back there to try some other sets to give them another chance, but next time if the food comes cold, I will complain.

try the roast pork at Berlin, huge portion and really good, including sauerkraut. good salad with it too

Whats the adress for Berlin?

Based on this thread, I tried Domicil for the first time. Sorry, I can't give a glowing report.

Got the set menu, veg cream soup, roast pork, dumplings, red cabbage/sauerkraut combo, coffee

The soup had no flavor, ate about 1/3 of it then realized not worth the calories.

The platter was OK. The pork meat was a bit small in portion and much more fatty than I have gotten at other German places offering roast pork. The dumplings were big but bland. My main complaint, which in retrospect I should have complained about to get it reheated, is that the platter was served lukewarm. The dumplings especially would have been much more palatable properly warmed.

Ice cream or coffee offered to finish, weak coffee made the mistake of pouring in the "cream" which turned out to be non-dairy creamer which I hate.

Please don't say it must be because I don't like German food, because that's not true. I like GOOD German food very much.

Not a rip off at 255 baht but nothing to write home about to Deustchland either. Believe it or not, I might go back there to try some other sets to give them another chance, but next time if the food comes cold, I will complain.

try the roast pork at Berlin, huge portion and really good, including sauerkraut. good salad with it too

Whats the adress for Berlin?

End of Walking street, Pattaya Tai, a few stores from the beach, across from Bamboo. huge menu

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if it's German food you're after then Domicil is not the place to go since it's an Austrian place B)

Have to agree with your assessment of the place though. Have eaten there a couple of times and the food has been very average.

German...Austrian...same same not different; they welcomed the Anschluss after all didn't they :o

I am not German(lucky me)but please no offend the australien telling that they are the same as Germans....

• 3 weeks later...

if you are at jomtien try siamcats resto

the best schnitsel i found in pats

soi 5

SCHNITZEL UPDATE:

I finally made it over there today to give 'em a try.

Comparing SiamCats' Jaeger Schnitzel to my personal favorite/choice, Villa Germania (Jomtien):

Food/Quality:

SC- Delicious/köstlich; everything fresh, hot & tasty

VG- Delicious/köstlich; everything fresh, hot & tasty

Food/Quantity:

SC- Large schnitzel, Large french fries, Small salad

VG- Extra large schnitzel. Extra large french fries, Large salad

Sauce:

SC- Very good gravy/sauce with fresh sliced mushrooms

VG- Very good gravy/sauce with canned sliced mushrooms

Salad:

SC- Small mound of shredded cabbage with 3 tomato slices & 2 onion slices, drizzled with ketchup & mayo (mixed); served on the plate

VG- Seperate, medium plate full of shredded lettuce, lettuce leaves, many thin-sliced cucumbers, tomato wedges & sliced onion, bathed in a mild, slightly creamy vinaigrette

Price:

SC- 195 baht + coke @ 40 baht + 20 baht tip = 255 baht

VG- 169 baht + coke @ 30 baht + 20 baht tip = 219 baht

Service:

SC- Soft-spoken, polite staff; understood my requests (ie; crispy french fries); very pleasant

VG- Soft-spoken, polite staff; after my first time, they remind me I like crispy fries; very pleasant

SC- Soi 5, Jomtien. Near the Post Office. Good size resto with comfortable armchairs.

VG- Soi that connects Soi Watboon with Soi Chaiyapreuk. Spacious, grotto-like location with pool & garden in condo building lobby.

Conclusion:

Having had the Jaeger schnitzel experience at Villa Germania 4 or 5 times now, I was unsure if SiamCats could measure up to, what I have come to think of as one of Jomtien's best meal deals for farang food. But, I really enjoyed my Jaegar Scnitzel at SiamCats; it was delicious. And, truth be told, the Jaeger schnitzel at Villa Germania has never varied from the same assessment, delicious. So, based on price, quantity of food and ambiance... I give:

SiamCats- 85 stars (out of 100) "Great food, nice people- give 'em a try!"

Villa Germania- 95 stars "Great food (lumberjack-size portions), lovely spot. Still one of Jomtien's best meal deals for farang food..."

B)

• Like 1

post-72929-0-61574500-1301720881_thumb.j

does it come with the nitroglycerine shot to get the heart pumping blood again through the clogged arteries?

Whoa.

And, funny you should ask! Look what I found under my chair (can't remember which restaurant, though...):

B)

muhahahahahahahahahohohohohoooo!

Now THAT"S really funny....

well so let's assume I, we know what it is all about "healthy german food", like liverwurst it has, if "low fat content" 25% so 100 gramm consumed, means 25 gramms pure pork grease, well good for the joints, they will ache wonderfully, combined with cheap high puric acid beer....!

Edited by Samuian

post-72929-0-61574500-1301720881_thumb.j

does it come with the nitroglycerine shot to get the heart pumping blood again through the clogged arteries?

Whoa.

And, funny you should ask! Look what I found under my chair (can't remember which restaurant, though...):

B)

muhahahahahahahahahohohohohoooo!

Now THAT"S really funny....

well so let's assume I, we know what it is all about "healthy german food", like liverwurst it has, if "low fat content" 25% so 100 gramm consumed, means 25 gramms pure pork grease, wel good for the joints....!

I know!! And, MUHAHA 2 U 2!

Now, don't get me started, ok? But... what's the deal with these huge, honkin' things?!? Last month, a German friend took me to Naklua, down a small soi, to a little German resto that specializes in these pork knuckles, hips... whatever they are! And, holy mother of Maalox... how big can a single serving be? And, they included lots of french fries, a salad, soup & ice cream! Honestly, a Thai faily of six could have eaten this; the plate was about 1 meter long (ok, maybe not, but it was a really big plate...)! In the end, I figure I consumed about 35% of this German dish; walked outa there with a serious case of pork overload & burpitis (look it up, krap). Sheesh!

On the bright side, my TGF & I hade enough pork for the next day, too!

B)

post-72929-0-40411100-1308899761_thumb.j

I know!! And, MUHAHA 2 U 2!

Now, don't get me started, ok? But... what's the deal with these huge, honkin' things?!? Last month, a German friend took me to Naklua, down a small soi, to a little German resto that specializes in these pork knuckles, hips... whatever they are! And, holy mother of Maalox... how big can a single serving be? And, they included lots of french fries, a salad, soup & ice cream! Honestly, a Thai faily of six could have eaten this; the plate was about 1 meter long (ok, maybe not, but it was a really big plate...)! In the end, I figure I consumed about 35% of this German dish; walked outa there with a serious case of pork overload & burpitis (look it up, krap). Sheesh!

On the bright side, my TGF & I hade enough pork for the next day, too!

B)

Well it looks when it comes to food, "modesty" does not appear in the german vocabulary, health and obesity issues become superfluous once the pork knuckle is on the table and the beer in the stein, well wash it all down with a few schnapps to neatly round up the calorie intake, and it will be all fine or in the emergency ambulance to the heart and coronary deseases center.

Germans are among the highest meat consumers in Europe, obtaining around 39% of their total calorie intake from meat and meat products or some 113 kg per capita, compared with 25% in Italy.

Your reference to "thai family of 6" - in bangkok you can see at certain places, f.e. "Tawan Daeng" - German Micro Brewery exactly this, many SHARING one serve and it's still plenty!

But then.... who cares who ever wants, can have my share for free!

;-)

Edited by Samuian

if you are at jomtien try siamcats resto

the best schnitsel i found in pats

soi 5

SCHNITZEL UPDATE:

I finally made it over there today to give 'em a try.

Comparing SiamCats' Jaeger Schnitzel to my personal favorite/choice, Villa Germania (Jomtien):

Food/Quality:

SC- Delicious/köstlich; everything fresh, hot & tasty

VG- Delicious/köstlich; everything fresh, hot & tasty

Food/Quantity:

SC- Large schnitzel, Large french fries, Small salad

VG- Extra large schnitzel. Extra large french fries, Large salad

Sauce:

SC- Very good gravy/sauce with fresh sliced mushrooms

VG- Very good gravy/sauce with canned sliced mushrooms

Salad:

SC- Small mound of shredded cabbage with 3 tomato slices & 2 onion slices, drizzled with ketchup & mayo (mixed); served on the plate

VG- Seperate, medium plate full of shredded lettuce, lettuce leaves, many thin-sliced cucumbers, tomato wedges & sliced onion, bathed in a mild, slightly creamy vinaigrette

Price:

SC- 195 baht + coke @ 40 baht + 20 baht tip = 255 baht

VG- 169 baht + coke @ 30 baht + 20 baht tip = 219 baht

Service:

SC- Soft-spoken, polite staff; understood my requests (ie; crispy french fries); very pleasant

VG- Soft-spoken, polite staff; after my first time, they remind me I like crispy fries; very pleasant

SC- Soi 5, Jomtien. Near the Post Office. Good size resto with comfortable armchairs.

VG- Soi that connects Soi Watboon with Soi Chaiyapreuk. Spacious, grotto-like location with pool & garden in condo building lobby.

Conclusion:

Having had the Jaeger schnitzel experience at Villa Germania 4 or 5 times now, I was unsure if SiamCats could measure up to, what I have come to think of as one of Jomtien's best meal deals for farang food. But, I really enjoyed my Jaegar Scnitzel at SiamCats; it was delicious. And, truth be told, the Jaeger schnitzel at Villa Germania has never varied from the same assessment, delicious. So, based on price, quantity of food and ambiance... I give:

SiamCats- 85 stars (out of 100) "Great food, nice people- give 'em a try!"

Villa Germania- 95 stars "Great food (lumberjack-size portions), lovely spot. Still one of Jomtien's best meal deals for farang food..."

B)

Tried Villa Germania today.

Not bad, but nothing to write home about either.

On the way in, I almost turned back.

The entrance is a dirt and stone road, with soi dogs attacking your bike.

The restaurant is not advertized in anyway outside, and arriving at the backI saw the name of the building "Villa Germania" - I asked the security guard about a restaurant being there.

Inside, it is quite nice, spacious.

To the food: I had the Wiener Schnitzel.

Same salad I guess as the Jäger Schnitzel, but the salad was nothing exceptional and no creamy vinaigrette, but some german sweet vinegar salad dressing.

The fries were hard and dry, the Schnitzel itself was ok and even good, even if the first bite had an arome of fish, somehow.

The portion was not Lumberjackesque in any way, even a bit small for a Wiener Schnitzel which normally covers at least half a very big plate...

The price was good though. 135 baht for the Schnitzel.

Overall, I feel my experience at German Garden and Alt Heidelberg in Naklua were better, but Villa Germania delivered solid.

...just as a little reminder...the nation with the highest obesity rate is still the US of A. The UK is #3, and Australia #6. The countries mentioned make up the vast majority of the Thaivisa population.

Germany ranks #14, so all the liver sausage and pork knuckles are really good for you. Do not forget to wash them down with a healthy dosage of Weissbier B)

source: http://www.nationmas...-health-obesity

Das Berliner, soi 13 pattaya.

I've been there quite a few times because its convenient but never found it much better than average. I revisited the Domicil for a second try, and was let down again. Just had a simple dish of cheesy spaetzle and it was insipid.

tried "Bei Gerhard" today, naklua soi 31 or 33 I believe, in the same soi as "Alois 2"

Ordered again a Wiener Schnitzel.

"Bei Gerhard" is a restaurant that serves specialties from "Schwaben", a German region in the south-west, near Switzerland.

The food is very similar to what can be had in Switzerland, if anyone remembers my remarks about Swiss food.

The Wiener Schnitzel tasted significantly less good than Villa Germania's and German Garden's. The "Schnitzel" consisted of two slices of pork, which were quite dry and chewy. Probably not taken from the right area of the animal.

The "Kartoffelsalat" was also similar to what is served in Switzerland, cooked potato pieces mixed with mustard and rare pieces of onion.

I prefer the Bavarian or middle-German Kartoffelsalat involving mayonnaise, pickles, more onion, and green onion and/or hacked chives.

(in general, german food from Bavaria, Hesse, etc. is more rich and tasty than what comes from the south west, probably for religious reasons - protestantism)

Price on the other hand was a bit on the high side.

So overall, the experience was average.

I would return if I was with a friend who absolutely wanted to go to that restaurant.

Next on my list:

- German Garden's Schweinshaxe on a Sunday (preorder)

- Anton, Braustube, Haus München, Eurostar, Deutsches Haus, Nachrichtentreff...

There are really a lot of them.

If anyone is looking for inexpensive authentic french food, I recommend La Petite Planète, in a soi bordering Tukcom, (first soi on the right before Tukcom if coming from second road on pattaya Tai).

I usually get the Schwabian food at Bei Gerhard and never the schnitzel. It's interesting you rate the schnitzel low there, but I hope you scare more people away as the place is way too crowded with happy Germans as it is! BTW, I don't think schnitzel is a real popular order there as I recall looking at most tables, people ordering either the set daily menus (good deals) or from the Schwabian menu.

Edited by Jingthing

Tried "Deutsches Haus" the other day.

It is located on beach road, almost at the corner of soi 4.

I love good grilled pork knuckle, so I ordered one.

Before, I asked how the skin is.

"crispy" was the answer, so go ahead!

Deutsches Haus delivers solid portions for the price (I think about 220 baht for the plate shown on the attached pic).

The panned potatoes with bacon were good.

But the knuckle didn't quite live up to my expectations.

First, the skin wasn't really crispy.

They try to make it crispy by frying the knuckle in frying oil (same as Thais or KFC does with chicken) - but the result is that the skin isn't really crispy, and it loses its pork taste, and at the same time portions of meat that became exposed to the frying oil become dry and chewy.

Second, to my taste, the knuckle didn't spend enough time in salt brine.

Overall, it was decent and the portions are certainly generous.

I think the Wiener Schnitzel should be quite ok at Deutsches Haus and good value.

The other things we ordered were yummy.

So thumbs up for Deutsches Haus, overall.

post-67243-0-84033500-1309455495_thumb.j

Edited by manarak

• 1 year later...

Tried "Deutsches Haus" the other day.

It is located on beach road, almost at the corner of soi 4.

I love good grilled pork knuckle, so I ordered one.

Before, I asked how the skin is.

"crispy" was the answer, so go ahead!

Deutsches Haus delivers solid portions for the price (I think about 220 baht for the plate shown on the attached pic).

The panned potatoes with bacon were good.

But the knuckle didn't quite live up to my expectations.

First, the skin wasn't really crispy.

They try to make it crispy by frying the knuckle in frying oil (same as Thais or KFC does with chicken) - but the result is that the skin isn't really crispy, and it loses its pork taste, and at the same time portions of meat that became exposed to the frying oil become dry and chewy.

Second, to my taste, the knuckle didn't spend enough time in salt brine.

Overall, it was decent and the portions are certainly generous.

I think the Wiener Schnitzel should be quite ok at Deutsches Haus and good value.

The other things we ordered were yummy.

So thumbs up for Deutsches Haus, overall.

I had dinner there tonight and enjoyed the 200 baht buffet. A few different sausages, stew, salami, fruit, cake, grilled chicken, pasta, meatballs, potato salad. A lot of choice for low cost.

ANTON on Naklua road is good, havent eaten there in a long time since it is far from my hangouts but nice buffet

I like the one on Pattaya Tai near beach road, directly across from Bamboo, not sure but maybe called Berlin. I eat there a couple of nights a week, really good and reasonably priced. They even have an english curry dish with chicken and green apples which is really good. Thai food good too

Some German people told me that Domicel is really good

They even have an english curry dish with chicken and green apples which is really good.

last time we met i did not get the feeling that you are pervert LiL w00t.gif

Best Jaeger Schintzel, Jomtien-

Villa Germania, located between Soi Watboon and Soi Chaiyapreuk, serves my favorite German dish, so far (looking forward to trying more). It's a really large breaded pork cutlet, smothered in mushroom gravy. It comes with choice of potatoes ( I always choose the "mound" of shoestring fries, extra crispy) and a big salad. Delicious, large portions, and very reasonable at 160 baht... outstanding meal. Auf wiedersehen!

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this place and would like to try it. Can you be a bit more specific with the location? This is in Jomtien, right? You said it's located between Soi Watboon and Soi Chaiyapreuk, BUT ON WHICH ROAD? Thanks....

• 2 months later...

They are selling the Sauerkraut made fresh by "Schweine Dieter" packed in sealed sandwich bags in Foodmart now, just bought some, delicious and great for the gut. B90 for a would say 1/2 kilo.

Does sauerkraut once opened stink up the fridge like kimchi does? I bought a kilo of kimchi and put it in what I thought was secure tupperware type container, then wrapped three plastic bags around that ... no dice ... stink city.