German Food For Me

actiondell4

I may venture over to Naklua today,I have been told that is where there are some good German restaurants.

It will be my first experience with German food tonight so I am looking for reccomendations plus some tips on what to eat for a first timer.

Im not after expensive up market places,more like a social ambience place mybe even some entertainment .

Im not sure if Naklua is the place but I heard it is the Germam area.

thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend ANTON on Naklua road.

They have a very reasonable priced buffet where you can sample some good wholesome German food.

Don't expect high cuisine, but it's quality food for a good price and the beer is cold.

Yermanee

Best pork knuckle is at Klein Heidelberg, Soi Nakluea 18. Takes a bit of time to prepare but you won't be disappointed. Other items on their menu are a recommendation, too. They have this onion pork roast which is great, too!

ANTON on Naklua road is good, havent eaten there in a long time since it is far from my hangouts but nice buffet

I like the one on Pattaya Tai near beach road, directly across from Bamboo, not sure but maybe called Berlin. I eat there a couple of nights a week, really good and reasonably priced. They even have an english curry dish with chicken and green apples which is really good. Thai food good too

Some German people told me that Domicel is really good

ANTON on Naklua road is good, havent eaten there in a long time since it is far from my hangouts but nice buffet

I like the one on Pattaya Tai near beach road, directly across from Bamboo, not sure but maybe called Berlin. I eat there a couple of nights a week, really good and reasonably priced. They even have an english curry dish with chicken and green apples which is really good. Thai food good too

Domicil IS good and 24/24 open.

It's located on 2nd Road between Soi 7 and 8 (near Central)

Regarding German food and entertainment: Stroll a bit through Naklua Sois 31 - 33 and you'll find what you need.

Domicil IS good and 24/24 open.

It's located on 2nd Road between Soi 7 and 8 (near Central)

Regarding German food and entertainment: Stroll a bit through Naklua Sois 31 - 33 and you'll find what you need.

Yes. Domicile right there on second road between soi 7 and soi 8 is very good. I used to only go to the Brauhaus jsut two doors down because I liked their combination choices a bit better. The pork medallions with noodles and a salad is really good. However, I really like the Domicle plates too. Their schnitzel is good and the fried potatoes are good. Their salad has potatos and some other vegetables in it too, and sometimes that is not quite what I want because I wanted the salad to not be redundant with the potatoes. But Domicile is open very late at night and I ate there a lot on my last trip.

As for entertainment, well, soi 7 and soi 8 are on each side of you, not to mention that under-utilized group of bars across the street behind the coffe shop.

Dying for my next trip

Based on this thread, I tried Domicil for the first time. Sorry, I can't give a glowing report.

Got the set menu, veg cream soup, roast pork, dumplings, red cabbage/sauerkraut combo, coffee

The soup had no flavor, ate about 1/3 of it then realized not worth the calories.

The platter was OK. The pork meat was a bit small in portion and much more fatty than I have gotten at other German places offering roast pork. The dumplings were big but bland. My main complaint, which in retrospect I should have complained about to get it reheated, is that the platter was served lukewarm. The dumplings especially would have been much more palatable properly warmed.

The red cabbage/sauerkraut combo OK, how can you mess that up?

Ice cream or coffee offered to finish, weak coffee made the mistake of pouring in the "cream" which turned out to be non-dairy creamer which I hate.

Please don't say it must be because I don't like German food, because that's not true. I like GOOD German food very much.

Not a rip off at 255 baht but nothing to write home about to Deustchland either. Believe it or not, I might go back there to try some other sets to give them another chance, but next time if the food comes cold, I will complain.

Edited by Jingthing

I saw it more often messed up than done right. Especially the Sauerkraut. Quite difficult to get a decent Sauerkraut in Thailand. Nope, canned Sauerkraut is NEVER decent.

I saw it more often messed up than done right. Especially the Sauerkraut. Quite difficult to get a decent Sauerkraut in Thailand. Nope, canned Sauerkraut is NEVER decent.

i don't have a choice because we don't have a basement where to let a barrel Sauerkraut ferment homemade style. of the canned ones i prefer "Hainich" to "Mildessa" (both brands available in Foodland, Friendship and Makro) which i "manipulate" in various ways to achieve a very tasty result.

Best Jaeger Schintzel, Jomtien-

Villa Germania, located between Soi Watboon and Soi Chaiyapreuk, serves my favorite German dish, so far (looking forward to trying more). It's a really large breaded pork cutlet, smothered in mushroom gravy. It comes with choice of potatoes ( I always choose the "mound" of shoestring fries, extra crispy) and a big salad. Delicious, large portions, and very reasonable at 160 baht... outstanding meal. Auf wiedersehen!

Best Jaeger Schintzel, Jomtien-

Villa Germania, located between Soi Watboon and Soi Chaiyapreuk, serves my favorite German dish, so far (looking forward to trying more). It's a really large breaded pork cutlet, smothered in mushroom gravy. It comes with choice of potatoes ( I always choose the "mound" of shoestring fries, extra crispy) and a big salad. Delicious, large portions, and very reasonable at 160 baht... outstanding meal. Auf wiedersehen!

Thanks for that. I'm on it like a ferret on a yoyo.

post-37101-0-77425300-1301918590_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Based on this thread, I tried Domicil for the first time. Sorry, I can't give a glowing report.

Got the set menu, veg cream soup, roast pork, dumplings, red cabbage/sauerkraut combo, coffee

The soup had no flavor, ate about 1/3 of it then realized not worth the calories.

The platter was OK. The pork meat was a bit small in portion and much more fatty than I have gotten at other German places offering roast pork. The dumplings were big but bland. My main complaint, which in retrospect I should have complained about to get it reheated, is that the platter was served lukewarm. The dumplings especially would have been much more palatable properly warmed.

Ice cream or coffee offered to finish, weak coffee made the mistake of pouring in the "cream" which turned out to be non-dairy creamer which I hate.

Please don't say it must be because I don't like German food, because that's not true. I like GOOD German food very much.

Not a rip off at 255 baht but nothing to write home about to Deustchland either. Believe it or not, I might go back there to try some other sets to give them another chance, but next time if the food comes cold, I will complain.

try the roast pork at Berlin, huge portion and really good, including sauerkraut. good salad with it too

Edited by Lost in LOS

Well, if it's German food you're after then Domicil is not the place to go since it's an Austrian place B)

Have to agree with your assessment of the place though. Have eaten there a couple of times and the food has been very average.

Edited by MZurf

Austrian, Schmaustrian, their menu seems extremely Germanic to me. It's been many years since I've been to either Germany or Austria. Mostly I remember the pastries in Austria. What distinguishes the Austrian aspect of that restaurant compared to a German one? Thanks for the confirmation of my impression of Domicil. Cheers.

Seriously though, can any German/Austrian restaurant in town actually beat

Bei Gerhard in Naklua (specializing in Schwabian cuisine)?

http://www.webseiten.thai.li/Gerhard/

Edited by Jingthing

Well, if it's German food you're after then Domicil is not the place to go since it's an Austrian place B)

Have to agree with your assessment of the place though. Have eaten there a couple of times and the food has been very average.

German...Austrian...same same not different; they welcomed the Anschluss after all didn't they :o

i don't have a choice because we don't have a basement where to let a barrel Sauerkraut ferment homemade style. of the canned ones i prefer "Hainich" to "Mildessa" (both brands available in Foodland, Friendship and Makro) which i "manipulate" in various ways to achieve a very tasty result.

Try Best Market on the Dolphin Circle. They have Sauerkraut made fresh by "Schweine Dieter" packed in sealed sandwich bags.

German...Austrian...same same not different; they welcomed the Anschluss after all didn't they :o

Austrians are much smarter than Germans.

After all, they convinced the world Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German. :whistling:

the place is not Austrian because the German owner happened to be born in Vienna, Austria by coincidence. by the way, i concur with your judgment as far as food is concerned.

Austrian, Schmaustrian, their menu seems extremely Germanic to me. It's been many years since I've been to either Germany or Austria. Mostly I remember the pastries in Austria. What distinguishes the Austrian aspect of that restaurant compared to a German one? Thanks for the confirmation of my impression of Domicil. Cheers.

Agree,

Gerhard is one of the better places for German food, although I have to admit too having been disappointed on a couple of occasions.

But then again there are few chef's who get all of their dishes right.

BTW the resto where Gerhard used to be isn't bad either but again not for all his dishes.

As for me I'm not particularly fond of sauerkraut.

Yermanee

p.s. Just realized that the address on the website provided by Jingthing is the old address of Gerhard's. He moved a couple of years ago to the small Soi just past the Bank of Ayudhya (big yellow building on the left hand side if your going north). It's about 100 metres in that Soi.

Edited by yermanee

the place is not Austrian because the German owner happened to be born in Vienna, Austria by coincidence. by the way, i concur with your judgment as far as food is concerned.

if from Vienna expect rather Gulyas than Germanic food...whistling.gif

Well, their website says that it's an Austrian restaurant....

Domicil Restaurant

I'd go with that one as well. Weekend off menu specials as well and take away bits and pieces if you are in the know.

• 1 month later...

theres not only the difference between Austrian, German and Swiss Food,

also the german food is prepared different, depending on the regional cuisiene.

Berliner Bistro, Soi 13

the duck for 219 baht on Wednesday,

Berliner Restaurant, Naklua Road, near Baracuda Bar,

they come from East Berlin, and are cooking east german style,

(till 1989 very limited access seasonings, but solid)

Schnitzel Haus Jomtien,Beach Road, Soi 5

http://www.schnitzelhaus-jomtien.de.tl/So-finden-Sie-uns.htm

very basic decoration

Naklua Soi 33 new german restaurants are opening every 3 month (and also closing)

"Bei Gerhard" Soi 31 Naklua Road,

this restaurant is the main meetingpoint of german expats in pattaya.

sometimes, the thai service-girls are not very well instructed by german non-thai-speaking restaurant owners

The first time I went to Domicil I ordered the stuffed cabbage rolls - stuffed with some kind of pork mixture and served with mashed potatoes and gravy. I really like it and the half dozen or so times I've been back I've always ordered the same thing and never been disappointed. The missus is a big fan of that dish too.

Tried Anton's a few times - I agree that the buffet is good value. They also do a very good stuffed cabbage rolls dish - served with a very nice fried potato and bacon combo. The staff don't always tell you but if you order a main dish from the menu you are also entitled to the free (but rather limited) salad bar and whatever soup they have in the big soup urn next to the salad bar = on occasion the soup has been really good. I've stopped going to Anton's however as the service is quite often appalling - rude and unhelpful. The missus was ready to swing for a particularly rude waitress on my last and final visit. Also, unless they've changed their menus, quite often you find that different menus have different pages missing and so trying to find a particular dish you're looking for (such as the cabbage rolls) can prove rather difficult, unless you demand to see every menu on the premises until you find it, which doesn't go down well with the staff. You may also find that the person you're dining with orders something exceptional that wasn't even in your menu - and no-one likes being out-ordered, especially when you didn't even get the chance to order the same.