Internship For Psychology In Thailand/Bkk Possible?

daFan

Hi everyone & สวัสดีครับ,

my name is (ste)Fan, I am 24 years old and I study psychology. I have to complete an obligatory internship - 2 month. I could seperate it into two parts (1 month each). All I need is basically a psychologist who confirms that I actually had an internship there - they take it quite easy. I don't care what I am doing as long as I can use it for my study (in the sense of: I want to become a labor psychologist, but I don't mind working in any social institution neither if it's in Thailand). I also don't care if I earn money or not.

so I wanted to ask if anybody knows:

can I do such an internship in Thailand?

knows where I can get more information about this?

knows what kind of visa I will need and if the chances are good to actually receive it?

anything else concerning this issue :D

Qualifications:

4 years of studying psychology, 1 more year to go (minimum time here)

I am from Austria and so I am a native German speaker. My English is not perfect but easily good enough for Thailand. I study Thai and it's getting better and it's almost useful already ;). In addition I also speak some French and I am also improving it.

any help appreciated :) ขอบคุณนะครับ

??? If this is for a professional designation, I would expect it has to be with a en entity or professional recognized by your country's licensing board.

If this is for an undergraduate course requirement, the activity gained in Thailand will be useless for your career in Austria.

There is a sever shortage of clinical psychologists in Thailand and most Thais do not retain the srvices of such professionals.

Do your internship in Austria.

thx for your reply

There is one single person that decides if the internship is recognized at my university or not. As long as at a company that has got a psychologist, this is usually fine - it sounds easy and ridiculous and it is that way.

I want to go to Thailand after I have finished my studies so it would be maybe useful after all and more important - if I do my internship here, I will most likely end up as a secretary and nothing more.

if it's possible to do an internship in Thailand, then I will go for it. So I would appreciate any help how to find a place that will allow to do my internship there.

Edited by daFan

Why would you even consider Thailand? I can't think of a worse place as far as mental health "professionals" are concerned. Are you looking to get a good education or are you looking for a fun place to fuc_k around. C'mon, get serious.

as posted before... all I can do here is playing secretary as well. In Thailand I can at least improve my Thai skills which means a lot to me. Why should I waste 2 months here if I could waste it 2 months in Thailand?

anyway it shouldn't matter why I go to Thailand so I don't really know why I am justifying myself... I would however really appreciate if anyone could help me on how to get an internship or some visa information for interships.

Why would you even consider Thailand? I can't think of a worse place as far as mental health "professionals" are concerned. Are you looking to get a good education or are you looking for a fun place to fuc_k around. C'mon, get serious.

a friend of mine did a psychology degree, he said it was the easiest degree to get at the tim , which ment more drinking and shagging ops at uni.......

I guess it should be considered if one is pursuing Western models of psychology or Asian approach. Clearly, they're not the same.....even though might insist that they are.

I guess it should be considered if one is pursuing Western models of psychology or Asian approach. Clearly, they're not the same.....even though might insist that they are.

Buddhism is the Asian model of psychology. It's a good one, but you're not going to be doing your internship in a medical building. You'll be doing at the wat.

Buddhism is the Asian model of psychology. It's a good one, but you're not going to be doing your internship in a medical building. You'll be doing at the wat.

Secular psychologies differ greatly, as there isn't a standard for such studious pursuits.

You are quite astute.

The inadequacies of the local Thai "school of thought" is compounded by the severe shortage of qualified professionals and cultural beliefs about mental illness. Hence, the reliance on pills and medications. My experience is that everything is considered as an "organic" issue and the mental health professionals that treat the behavioural aspect are in the minority. Mental health care in Thailand is like an ER, where you get triage. The pills serve as a bandaid on a festering wound.

In fairness though, the younger professionals (under 40 years) have a much more robust education than the older folks and are up to snuff. (They actually have personalities and laugh.) Unfortunately, my impression is that they're all overworked and don't get the co-operation and support from the medical community that they need and deserve.