Kido Worm

keestha

Sorry it is probably not the first time this question is asked....

Adaware is teling me my laptop is infected with win32.worm.kido, and doesn't seem to be able to remove it. I am using Windows XP. What could I do to get rid of this infection?

Anybody replying, thanks for your time.

wikipedia says

Conficker, also known as Downup, Downadup and Kido, is a computer worm targeting the Microsoft Windows operating system that was first detected in November 2008.[1] It uses flaws in Windows software and Dictionary attacks on administrator passwords to co-opt machines and link them into a virtual computer that can be commanded remotely by its authors. Conficker has since spread rapidly into what is now believed to be the largest computer worm infection since the 2003 SQL Slammer,[2] with more than seven million government, business and home computers in over 200 countries now under its control. The worm has been unusually difficult to counter because of its combined use of many advanced malware techniques.[3][4]

This means your PC is now being controlled by someone else who can use it to send spam, direct DOS attacks against others etc., so it is very important that you get this virus removed ASAP!

Removal and Detection

Thanks everybody, especially Phil Conners.

I got rid of the little bugger. I believe conficker prevents access to certain websites, like microsoft update. You instantly get a message a site cannot be accessed, and since my connection is slow, it is obviously because of something on the hard disk,and not because the website refuses access. After putting in the command net stop dnscache through Command Prompt, I was able to connect to microsoft update and download the removal tool, which partially deleted the bug, after that I had to finish the job using adaware.

Yes powderpuff, I had disabled microsoft update because it was constantly pulling my sleeve when I was trying to get work done. Wont do it again, from now on when uncle Bill (Gates) is trying to tell me something, I will drop whatever I am doing, and humbly listen.