Strange Situation Upon Arrival @Phuket Airport Immigration

Seems very odd that this could happen at a long line of passenger arrivals, with open-view of all 'dealings'. Never had any problems myself, maybe they tried it on for a 'weak female', I wonder.

Of course, I'd never act aggressively at this stage of coming into the country, but I do purposely show the attributes mentioned in a previous post. I give a confident air, and matter-of-factly, put my passport on the desk while saying, "Gaewsib wan, kap."

P.S. If you're paying bribes to Thai Immigration officers YOU are part of the problem.

Ask to speak to a supervisor & make them tell you what the bribe is for.

I don't believe this is the way to go.

They will stick together, because as has already been mentioned, this type of corruption starts at the top. The last thing you need to do for the sake of 200 baht is make them lose face as they could easily find a way to refuse entry. In the OP's case, they could have made a case that she is using the non-O visa as a way to stay in Thailand permanently. They had every right to ask her those questions and they were not unreasonable.

Another consideration is this: If they thought you were a do-gooder likely to make waves to the authorities once you've gained entry, they would have more incentive to refuse you entry.

The best approach would be to remain humble, polite and quiet. Pay it and contact your embassy later if you really do want to take a stand... or just forget about it and enjoy the positive things about Thailand. There's good and bad everywhere.