Piggybacking Retirement Extensions For Married Couples (Non-Thai)

Asking for a friend of mine, American over 50 married to another American under 50. First question, can you still "piggyback" 2 for 1 retirement extensions, in other words only one applicant needs to meet the financial requirements and the married spouse can stay based on their marriage status to the primary applicant? If yes, does the secondary piggybacking foreigner ALSO need to be age 50 or over?

Thanks.

"piggy-backing" allowed = yes

"piggy who backs" over 50 = no

case dated february 2011, Pattaya Immigration.

I don't understand the second part of the answer, sorry!

Obviously the primary applicant must be over 50.

My question is about the secondary (the "parasitical" applicant) being under 50 and whether they can ride on the over 50 qualifying applicant.

Please clarify. Perhaps people aren't understanding my terminology.

Edited by Jingthing

In all the many, many times I've shepherded acquaintances thru Thai Immigrations, I've only came across this ONCE! The reason I even remember it was that I had to do it TWICE for the wife in the span of 2 months! :o

The guy was 52, met ALL the retirement requirements, and his wife was 46. We got his first yearly extension of stay without a hitch. However getting his wife first converted to a non-o visa, and then a yearly extension of stay based on being the spouse of a person on an extension of stay based on retirement was a little more of a sticky wicket :whistling: .

Now this was several years ago, (so TIFWIW or as anecdotal evidence) BUT the officer we dealt with at Suan Plu Immigrations didn't seem to really know IF the spouse had to be over 50 or not. After a few phone calls, (a couple private powwows with the other officers) and some tense waiting, it was all sorted. In the end as long as they're legally married, and can provide the support documentation, the wife is given a yearly extension of stay based on her husbands extension dates. Its advantageous to do them at the same time so the person getting piggy-backed (carried) gets the full year too. :)

If they go this route, have them BOTH at least buy a single re-entry permit while they're there! (These people were too frazzled and didn't wanna wait in another queue).

If the hubby flies out without one his extension of stay is void AND so is his wife's as its tied to his!. Now if the wife flies out without one, just her extension is void.

I said I remembered this because the wife had to go to the US for an emergency (sans re-entry permit) and LOST her extension of stay. She came back in on a 30 day visa exempt and I had to go back out and do it all over again with her documentation AND her husband (who hasta be there with his passport, etc). Convert to a Non-O (2000baht), apply for the extension of stay (1900), BUY a single re-entry permit (1000baht) <- time saved if sheda done that the first time, A LOT !!

Honestly, it's been so long ago that I can't even remember what the extension stamp said. but I doubt it'd say "retirement" seeing as the person was TOO young to actually retire here. It might have said 'spouse' or something to that effect, but really I don't know.

I don't believe there'd be a problem getting a W/P with the correct paperwork from the company, but a call to the Ministry of Labor might sort it out. I don't know if this number still works but the Ministry of Labor's hotline for Work Permit info was; 1506

You might try Thai Immigrations at their hotline number; 1111. I've found the people who man the hot lines are pretty darned good at getting info for you (once you do the song and dance to actually get an english speaking Thai on the line ;)). I've had them even go so far as taking my number AND actually calling me back when I've asked them a particularly tricky question.

Good Luck. .. (Sorry it was a long post. ..) :(

Edited by tod-daniels

My husband has an extension of stay based on retirement and I 'piggy back' on that extension (I am under 50 years of age). The stamp in my passport says retirement and it is identical to the stamp in his passport.

But it is issued for a dependent of a retiree rather than the retiree and would be lost if his stay was lost. There are no retirement extensions of stay issued for those under age 50 so you would not be qualified for a 2.22 extension of stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2004 my wife (American) has piggy backed on to my retirement visa as she was under 50. As she has now turned 50, will she have to apply for her own retirement visa ie. separate proof of 800,000 in bank? Can these funds be held in a joint account for the 90 day holding period?

Not unless she wants to do so or your marriage is ending. :rolleyes:

She can continue as dependent.

If want retirement I would advise separate accounts in own names as they seem to be strict on that now - it used to be they would account joint account with double the money in it but now they seem to want single name only.