A Question to all wood experts :

I know that certain hardwoods cannot be transported interprovince in Thailand without a government permit. Does this apply to old (aged) wood as well?

Would i be able to buy old wood in, say, Chiang Mai and transport it freely to South?

Thanks for your reply!

• 3 weeks later...

A Question to all wood experts :

I know that certain hardwoods cannot be transported interprovince in Thailand without a government permit. Does this apply to old (aged) wood as well?

Would i be able to buy old wood in, say, Chiang Mai and transport it freely to South?

Thanks for your reply!

Noone , eh ?

Painterscabin, as jayjayjayjay mentioned, Hang Dong in CM is a good start.

In this picture, stacked up against the warehouse in the background, this guy has all kinds of doors/entrances ("temple-type" as you'd like, from India and all over SE Asia). Sorry the pic isn't of the doors, I was taking pictures of the trees (that one in the background in front of the warehouse is 1,000,000 THB). He has a small shop in Hang Dong along the main stretch and an absolutely massive warehouse and accompanying property with all kinds of stuff. I don't know where I put his card but if you are interested in this quality of stuff you can pm me and I can find it for you.

Those doors are anywhere from a few hundred thousand THB to sky's-the-limit:

post-68285-0-14715500-1303889156_thumb.j

thedivezone: If you arrange transport with the seller, they should know the ins/outs (and ''arounds'') of the local laws...... happens all of the time (best advice is to find someone in your area who has what you want and ask them how they got it.....). You mentioned ''aged wood'' there are more than a few restrictions by category.

Euhm , are you sure you didnt put to much 0000 there ? 1.000.000 baht , never worth that in 1.000.000 years . I cannot see it good , but i see just a plain door . Maybe some extensive carvng , but even on the internet i've never seen prices higher then 200k ( yes teak wood , serious carving ) .

Euhm , are you sure you didnt put to much 0000 there ? 1.000.000 baht , never worth that in 1.000.000 years . I cannot see it good , but i see just a plain door . Maybe some extensive carvng , but even on the internet i've never seen prices higher then 200k ( yes teak wood , serious carving ) .

The tree is worth 1 million, not the entrance/doors. I mentioned that the doors were from a couple hundred thousand and up. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post.

edit: clarification - the tree selling for a million is not the one right in front of the camera, it's the one in front of the doors that's re-growing its foliage. There are also the 2 trees to the far right in the background with full foliage that are 1 million Baht. The one in front of the camera is worth quite a bit less because it's quite smaller.

Edited by jcon