Where Can I Live?

martindavies

I have been offered a job in BKK.... Looking to rent a condo/house for 1-2 years with a budget of 10,000 - 15,000 a month if possible

I like BKK and would enjoy living in BKK however I have a dog.

So BKK people do you know of anywhere that will allow me to live with a dog, any ideas house or condo?

Area I'm flexible but dont want to be too far away from Suk as the job I have been offered is on Suk soi 50.

Any help much appreciated as I need to make a decision in the next week.

(Mods please leave this in BKK forum as my partner tried before in other forums and got no replies)

Thanks!

The dog is going to be the issue. How big and old is it? I've noticed some condo/apartments say no dogs but don't enforce it if they are small. Also if it is older and doesn't bark then that is also obviously a plus since there won't be complaints.

Do you really need to bring the dog with you? Not sure where you are coming from but I believe Bangkok is not a dog friendly place except for Soi Dogs.

Parks in Bangkok don't allow dogs. The sidewalks tend to be very crowded and not friendly to walking a dog. I can't recall ever seeing anybody with a dog in a leash in BKK. I'm sure it exists but I can only recall seeing people with the little dogs in their purse of holding them as well as some bigger well trained dogs riding on motorbikes with their owner but can't recall seeing anyone walking a dog.

On top of all this it may be extremely hot and unpleasant for your dog in BKK depending on the breed and the climate he/she is used to. I'd imagine you would need to keep the air conditioner on all day in the apartment.

Is there a Pet type forum here on TV? Not saying your question should be moved because hopefully somebody will reply here in terms of knowing a pet friendly building but I would really recommend checking with others who have a dog in BKK in terms of possible unforeseen problems you may run into.

EDIT: I did find this link ... http://www.kobayashi.co.th/Thaigo/sukhumvit/dog-ok-apt.htm

Edited by Nisa

Not sure what you'll find in that price bracket close to Suk that fit's your bill.

I had a larger 2BR older style apartment at Lat Phrao at 18,000. A farang neighbor had a resonable large dog. (Not sure if the landlord knew or not.)

Accessible to the MRT, quiet Thai neighborhood. (I specifically DIDN'T want to be near Suk!)

You don't say how much space you need? You obviously have at least 1 dog and 1 girlfriend... any other space consuming interests?

There's a Real Eastate Forum here, plus there are some Apartment Rental listing sites that might be worth a try. Try 9apartments dot com

Hi there,

The Dog is a very friendly AM Staff, Very well trained and behaved so noise etc wouldn't be an issue and even though he isn't too big (28kg) he isn't small enough to smuggle into a condo!

I would be coming from close to Hua Hin so he is used to the climate, and leaving him behind isn't an option! I'd rather turn down the job than leave him :)

In regards to exercise for the dog I own a car and would spend most weekends at the beach with him and during the week I don't mind driving 30mins out of the way to give him a walk.

Ideally 2 or 3 beds would be big enough but the kitchen is important to me as I love to cook.

Many thanks for your replies, I will PM the members who know friends in the industry.

I don't think you'll have a problem finding a place to live, though you might have to stretch your budget a bit. I have 3 dogs and housing was no problem, so I would think one dog will be ok! Forget condos and look for a house, though. And go through a realtor. That's always work for me. Just make sure you tell them from the beginning what your budget is. Otherwise they'll try to get you into more expensive housing. Be firm about how much you can spend and they'll work with you.

Rangsit would be long commute everyday. Sukhumvit Soi 50 is located almost next to the On Nut BTS station if you can locate on google maps. Rangsit on the other hand is located out past Don Muang Airport. Depending where in Rangsit house is located taking surface streets to avoid daily tolls would be very time consuming from that area. If you can afford the tolls and don't mind long drive it wouldn't be so bad depending on Rangsit house location.

I think you should be able to find something much closer if you have the time to look.

Rangsit would be long commute everyday. Sukhumvit Soi 50 is located almost next to the On Nut BTS station if you can locate on google maps. Rangsit on the other hand is located out past Don Muang Airport. Depending where in Rangsit house is located taking surface streets to avoid daily tolls would be very time consuming from that area. If you can afford the tolls and don't mind long drive it wouldn't be so bad depending on Rangsit house location.

I think you should be able to find something much closer if you have the time to look.

Thanks 'ballbreaker'

Am I right in thinking then that if i found a place on Ramkamheng it wouldn't be too bad as on Google maps I can see that linking up to On Nut. On a map it doesn't seem too far but in 'real life' BKK traffic will that be an awful long journey too?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I also have a small breed dog (size of a male cat) and will be moving to Bangkok in June/July 2011. It seems hard to find a condo to live with your dog. For big breeds, It could be even harder.

Does it make difference if my thai wife rents house (instead of me) or it is general policy to not to allow pets in the house (atleast for most of the condos)?

Lots of townhouses on Sukhumvit road - On Nut and eastwards. I pay 6000 a month for a two bedrooom 2 bathroom with kitchen yard etc on sukhumvit road 68. Before I kept two small dogs in a simliar place near on nut on soi 60/1 - 8000 a month. Remeber the Sky train should be up and running as far as Ubon Suk in august.

PM if you want some phone numbers /addressses

Ramkamheng to On Nut takes an hour and a half in traffic through Soi 71.

Edited by Geekfreaklover