Extension Of Stay Based On Retirement At Jomtien

I will be doing my extension renewal tomorrow at Jomtien. I just want to confirm there has been no changes recently.

TM7 filled.

Passport pages copies.

Proof of income letter.

Letter from Bank.

Copies of bank book pages.

2 photos.

Thanks.

OK, will bring my condo deed copy.

Further questions.

My passport is good until Mar next year, so will get extension until then and get a re-entry permit. I leave for Canada 16th April and return 4th October. Since my present passport will have less than 6 months expiry, this means I will get a new passport in Canada. When I arrive back at the airport, will they transfer everything over to the new passport?

They might or might not. If they don't do it at the airport, you will have to visit Jomtiem to have the details transfered to your old passport. I suspect you will need to visit immigraiton in jomtiem again.

Should not take much time and will be free of charge. Make sure you bring the old passport.

Thai immigration (and those waiting in line behind you) at the airport might just get a bit upset with you trying to do all the transfering of data etc. when you could take care of it at home, ahead of time.

And what about if the airline refuses to let you board because you do not have a proper visa or stamp in your current, valid passport.

If you arrive in Thailand and just get a visa exemtion on arrival, that will probably trump and invalidate your Retirement Visa (extension whatever).

What about getting the visa or extension transfered to your new passport at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in Canada or home country.

They should even be able to take care of that by post (mail) if going to the Thai Embassy is inconvenient for you.

With due respect, which you don't deserve after that reply, I will say you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Did mine at Jomtien last week, one photo require (attached to TM7) proof of residence not requested all other paperwork as per your post, in relation to returning with new passport just make sure you have old passport with you and re-entry permit.

Edited by JohnC

While it is moot point for K. Frodo, it might have been a better procedure to have given up a few extra months validity and obtained a new Canadian passport at the Canadian Embassy here in Thailand and have had all the Thai Visa-related minutiae transferred to the new passport BEFORE leaving for an extended stay in his home country ... just a heads up maybe for others

Jazzbo,

Thanks and I acknowledge what you are saying. For some reason it was in my mind that my passport expired in July next year. So I intended to not renew next year with the old passport and re-enter on a tourist visa with a new passport and upgrade soon after arrival. I prefer to renew my passport in Canada as its somewhat easier.

Has anyone experienced arriving back with 2 passports with my scenario?

I will talk with the lady Captain and if I am not comfortable with her answer, I might come back 1 month earlier so my passport will be valid to enter.

Well I spoke with the Lady Captain (wonderful lady) and she assured me it was ok to renew my passport in Canada and then show both passports at the airport upon arrival. Then to come to see her and she would transfer everything over and even renewing the date back to May. I am interested to see what the airport immigration puts in my new passport.

Another question. Since I book my flights originating in Thailand, my return flight is essentially a one way flight back to Thailand. Never has been a problem with the airlines as I have a visa. However this time my valid visa will be in the "expired" passport. Do you think I might have a problem with the airline when I return? I have emailed Cathay but no reply yet.