Walk Around Jomtien Complex

actiondell4

Done a walk around the Jomtien Complex a few days ago,and my has it changed.

I really used to love this place once with its lively restaurants.

Noticed was the increase in size of the gay bars,many expanding from 1 shophouse to 3 in some cases,however not many customers.

Even though im told many of the gay bar owners are shophouse owners so dont pay rent which may help them survive.

The former busy "Hideaway bar" looks a shell with no customers,used to remember a few years back with its golf tours and you couldn't get a chair it was so busy.

The restaurant I use to love "Aquarius" has closed and im disapointed as I didnt know it had gone as has "Pagoda".

Mind you,Cafe Ritz and Antz restaurants were relatively busy.

At the lower end is a lot of gay bars.

Cafe Ritz seems to have set menu every night,UK type food,around 370 baht,3 or 4 courses,sorry cannot review as i havent been there,but you probaly wouldnt get a seat,even on a week night.

Antz of course is a cheaper cafe restaurant type place but good food and low price if only they would employ sensible mature staff rather than silly teenage students.

Has anyone tried the restaurant "Touch of Class" which has been opened for about 12 months now,love a review from there.

Also seems to be a Finnish cafe/restaurant there too,very busy but all signs in Finnish?

I use to like CAFE India in this complex but that has gone too as it seems the Blarney Stone Irish bar.

Certainly its a very difficult area it seems for restaurants to operate,high class ones anyway it seems going by the closures.

Noticed there was a shophouse for sale,seemed to be 4 storeys,wanting 12 million baht or that could of been for two?,I did remember a few years back they were in the 7 mill range.

This place/complex would be great for a supermarket which is badly needed in that area.

Im not sure why Tesco or Carrefour are not interested.

Edited by actiondell4

mmmm.....maybe when he gets out,he may consider changing the Blarney Stone into a gay bar.....

Not a nice place to go to for 6 months,my experience at visting a prison in Bangkok was enough with abrupt and arrogant prison officers,certainly not a jovial bunch.

I did like that place in the corner up near the main road,remember they use to have karaoke and anyone could sing,i think it has stopped,apparently a lot of older expats use to go there and sing ,HOWEVER THE BAR OPPOSITE THEM also use to drown them out with music,shame really.

I really blame the fail of business in that area on that road they keep building,now being going on for years.

Edited by actiondell4

There are still a few Lady bars there .One large place has beers all day for B40 ,and a great choice of cocktails .( i forget the name ) .Girls there dont aproach you unless you aproach them .

Thaifan2-Its called Fantasy Bar and a well run place.

:jap::jap::jap:

I did like that place in the corner up near the main road,remember they use to have karaoke and anyone could sing,i think it has stopped,apparently a lot of older expats use to go there and sing ,HOWEVER THE BAR OPPOSITE THEM also use to drown them out with music,shame really.

We live at VT5D facing the jomtien complex..... were happy when they stopped doing karaoke night :bah: nothing worse than listening to bad music with equally bad singers wheather you like it or not - They still do occassionally :ermm: and there's still plenty of other noise to make up for it..... although the Karaoke was definitely the worse offender :bah::bah:

A few years back the Jomtien municipality issued a 12 midnite noise limit - which lasted about 1 month before a little under the table donations got around it.

Edited by whatchamacallit

The Irish owner from the Blarney stone has just sent to prison for 6 months !! ,He paid some thai's to beat up the owner of Lucifers disco .......I hope he enjoys his stay inside ...Not a nice person !

i am just curious.

Once a farang gets a criminal record here and gets sent to jail like this guy,

does immigration keep issuing visa's to him after that ? The next post

where it starts " mmmm.....maybe when he gets out,he may consider changing the Blarney Stone into a gay bar.. "

made me wonder would there be a next time ? :ermm:

A few years back locals were saying they were definitely going to put a Tops market in the large ground floor space just across from the Ritz restaurant. It clearly didn't happen. Maybe they know the road project was going to take years. I do expect the entire area to recover and regenerate somewhat, perhaps a lot, after the road is finally finished. I like the Ritz but thought the food at Antz was very ho hum, overpriced for what they offer (ho hum Thai food), and service, yes HORRIBLE. The place really could use some new restaurants and more variety, and yes, a SUPERMARKET.

I tend to think there's an "oversupply" of restaurants in that area and with the closing of Pagoda restaurant it goes to show that "higher class" restaurants cannot compete.

Antz is in my opinion relatively cheap,mushroom soup 50 baht,hamburger and fries 90 baht etc,but unfortanetely they appear to employ young students who seem to want to mess round instead of working.

I don't fancy frou frou restaurants either. I'm all about the food. I am not happy with the current mix in the complex, food-wise.

I am not saying Antz is expensive although you can get easily get better basic Thai food cheaper that isn't exactly my point. I'm saying it's not very good.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not saying Antz is expensive although you can get easily get better basic Thai food cheaper that isn't exactly my point. I'm saying it's not very good.

Antz recently increased its prices across the board by about 10baht on each item - 5baht on rice and water, so that's about 20baht more for a small meal per person now. It used to be quite good value, but not so much any more. It does however have a good range on the menu so everyone will find something they like. The quality is fairly standard and even across the board but there are no 'signature' dishes!

Maybe they could do the famous Chinese dish, Ants Climbing a Tree? Perfect for a joint named Antz, yes? Not saying it's bad food really, just completely boring tourist place. Frankly that was the best Thai food I could ever get, I wouldn't think much of Thai food.

A friend who keeps up on restaurants in the area had this comment on Poseidon.

"Business was quite slow, so the Casa Pascal who was running the restaurant gave it up. I understand they will be re-opening the place under new management in June."

He also said that Helmut, the original owner of Pagoda (and a few other restaurants), is now at the Dusit-D2, next to "The Avenue" on 2nd Rd., in Pattaya.

Edited by SurfRider

Why did PAGODA close?

It wasn't that long that the owner had it ?

One place I do love in the Jomtien Complex is the outdoor pizza place right on the corner there.

I like the feel of that place but don't think much of their pizza. I know others like it, but I find it nothing special at all.

One place I do love in the Jomtien Complex is the outdoor pizza place right on the corner there.

I think that's Pizzeria Italia - beside Shenanigans?

I think they do reasonable Italian food, but somehow have managed to recreate the ambiance of a canteen. I don't know who decided that flood lighting would be a good a idea for an Italian eatery. If they could just install a dimmer switch, uplighting or install a few tasteful dividers, I'm sure they could significantly increase their business.

Also if they could just a find a fellow with a motorcycle who could deliver the pizzas, they'd have the best pizza delivery in the area. Perhaps there's a shortage of motorcyclists in Jomtien? **CLAP** Taxi?

"Why did PAGODA close? ... It wasn't that long that the owner had it?"

My understanding is that Helmut sold Pagoda to a new owner and they eventually closed it. Maybe "handwriting on the wall" and that's why Helmut sold? Maybe the new owner was the victim of diminished foot traffic due to the interminable construction of the Burma-Road out front? Bad management? -- Only the shadow knows.

The open-air pizza place has nice ambiance, but the pizza is so-so. I like Gian's pizza - not in the Complex, but only a short trek through the dust or mud, up the hill, on the east side of the Burma road bomb-site debacle ... :)

Odd that the Poseidon should close just as the road works nearby are drawing to an end. Hard to imagine any business being able to weather that mess for so many years. I did overhear the manager saying that it was closed "for renovation".

Lovers of the Poseidon brunch buffet will be pleased to know that it lives on at the Casa Pascal on 2nd Rd, opposite the Royal Garden. The price is the same (165B) and the quality is still high. They have a fidelity card that gives 10% off after a while. I think this is the best value breakfast in Pattaya. I dont like the clientele much (they fancy themselves too much for my taste) but I dont have to eat them or look at them!

There is also a new afternoon coffee, sandwiches and cake buffet at 135B which I have not tried.

"Why did PAGODA close? ... It wasn't that long that the owner had it?"

My understanding is that Helmut sold Pagoda to a new owner and they eventually closed it. Maybe "handwriting on the wall" and that's why Helmut sold? Maybe the new owner was the victim of diminished foot traffic due to the interminable construction of the Burma-Road out front? Bad management? -- Only the shadow knows.

The open-air pizza place has nice ambiance, but the pizza is so-so. I like Gian's pizza - not in the Complex, but only a short trek through the dust or mud, up the hill, on the east side of the Burma road bomb-site debacle ... :)

Helmut knows how to start-up and run a successful restaurant. He has a good track record but he also knows when to sell and move on.

Perhaps the new, young farang owner and his Thai partner, didn't realize what a commitment it takes to operating a restaurant? Personally, I think it is insane to make an investment that requires my undivided attention 24-7 but some people I guess have more dedication than I.

Odd that the Poseidon should close just as the road works nearby are drawing to an end. Hard to imagine any business being able to weather that mess for so many years. I did overhear the manager saying that it was closed "for renovation".

Lovers of the Poseidon brunch buffet will be pleased to know that it lives on at the Casa Pascal on 2nd Rd, opposite the Royal Garden. The price is the same (165B) and the quality is still high. They have a fidelity card that gives 10% off after a while. I think this is the best value breakfast in Pattaya. I dont like the clientele much (they fancy themselves too much for my taste) but I dont have to eat them or look at them!

There is also a new afternoon coffee, sandwiches and cake buffet at 135B which I have not tried.

Odd. http://pattayatoday.net/entertainment/leisure/sunday-brunch-buffet-at-casa-pascal/ list the price at 899 baht ++

http://casapascal.restaurant-in-pattaya.com/ list it as 165 baht (not specified if that is the total or it is ++)

"just as the road works nearby are drawing to an end."

Always nice to hear from an optimist! . . . :)

How many years has it been? -- I'd be willing to bet that some residents of the area won't live long enough to see the completion, if it ever happens! North-bound lane possibly nearing completion after how many months/years? -- and still the south-bound lane to go.

Re: Casa Pascal buffet -- I read where someone was charged 100 Baht++ for a diet-cola at the 165 Baht buffet and won't return, even after he recovers from the shock.

We had brunch at Casa Pascal today. Price indeed 165 all incl. per person. Not as many different items as Lek or Apex but much better quality. Fresh brewed coffee (on request), freshly done eggs (on request). They did get our order wrong though, wife ordered poached eggs but received very soft boiled eggs (but of course wouldn't complain about it). 4 types of fresh home baked bread along with an extensive dessert tray was excellent, but overall I would probably have expected a little better from the reputation of Casa Pascal. Still, decent value for the price.

post-1539-0-05261800-1302603019_thumb.jppost-1539-0-52829100-1302603022_thumb.jppost-1539-0-90093400-1302603026_thumb.jp

Why did PAGODA close?

It wasn't that long that the owner had it ?

I like the feel of that place but don't think much of their pizza. I know others like it, but I find it nothing special at all.

I liked the place better when it was inside the complex. Located like it is now I prefer paying someone to drive me to that italian place in Pattaya that I always forget name of. The italian with the tatoos.

I haven't been in Thailand for some months, but while I was there I visited a place in Jomtien Complex called "The Venue". Gay and straight were equally welcomed. The "Drag" show was professionally produced and performed and the entire experience was one of entertainment first and foremost.

Jomtien Complex is pretty dead a lot of the time and I don't know how any business makes a living there. The Venue does include an hotel, which may help a lot. What really impressed me was how the place operated when almost empty of customers: The quality of service and entertainment did not waver one bit. This place is really an asset to the complex. Hope they make it.

Anyone know why the shops outside VT7 are still empty? If they would turn on the lights at night, maybe people would dare to walk there and it looks like a good place to run a business? Might I guess its about a greedy landlord asking rentals way over and in return get absolutly nothing because everything is empty?